• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

mistersnappy

D066D6EB-5987-458C-8A6F-B424F15F39EC.jpeg

there are 20 of these, right? my take on this is, don't get comfortable and play with people who write and challenge.

cheers.

Pellman73

good review-- the Rover-- of course!

bottom line is every artist starts by mimicking the artists they like- and then hopefully move on to create more original art.

I do think he is right that this kid's voice does sound like Geddy Lee too

MAD 69

I'll give them this much at least they are writing originals with a classic rock edge and selling out shows
At least they play instruments, they aren't following what most kids today who think Rap(or whatever they call the crap these days) is the greatest thing in the world.

Saw they're performance last week at Coachella, looks like the guitar player got a new SG - maybe he had the vintage LP(1962?) he was using totally refinished? He was on Rig Rundown last year and his LP was held together with duct tape! Maybe one of the old guys hooked him up with a NOS LP?

Pellman73

I think I have one foot off this bandwagon

I was on it!

But, you know I watched some of their stuff from Coachella and it was just ok I thought

Like, I was disappointed

Looked like a high school talent show

I mean.... they would have WON that high school talent show.

But there were only three entries and one was doing an air guitar version of “Every body’s workin for the weekend” and the other was a solo dance act

Thundermtn

Visually it looks like he's got the drugs part down, and his rock-n-roll suffered a little though because of it. His eyes are all hollow looking and he's barely moving, probably so he doesn't fall over, lol.

Nick-O

I saw/listened to one of the Coachella tunes on YT and I thought the vocalist sounded like he was straining his voice. I thought way early on that perhaps their musician dad would get them a voice trainer to help him guard against permanent damage. Not that anything is permanent just yet, but I was disappointed to hear what I heard on the live recordings from the later part of this year.

Last edited:
I say go GVF. Classic rock is a million times better than Modern rock is. The fact there is a new band, let alone with youngsters, playing that kind of music is wonderful. I'd agree they are very much in the vain of Led Zeppelin. Give them time. At least it's original music. There are successful big names out today where their first album that went big was an album of COVERS of their favorite music. GVF is writing.

I'm 29 years old and I have no interest in new music outside of a few rare exceptions. Classic rock is my life. It's why I picked up a guitar. It's changed my life. It's the best music IMO and my favorite music.

I'd rather listen to a real rock n' roll band playing classic inspired music than to listen to Shinedown, Foo Fighters, or QOTSA or some weaksauce like that. So many bands forget the "roll" in rock n' roll. Without the roll the swagger, grove, vibe, etc are all gone and it's just meh.

When I talk about my influences and the music I like on Facebook or when I play classic rock hits with my band live I get a ton of people coming up to me telling me how happy they are that there are people my age who actually love and breathe classic rock music and working on keeping guitar and rock and roll alive. It makes me feel good. We need more people in my age group and younger who are classic rock lovers and realize how terrible music is today. Then guitar based RNR might have a decent chance of surviving. I'm doing my part, as is Greta Van Fleet. Good on those kids for keeping this music alive!

If young people my age don't like what I do, forget about them. I've always ran with an older crowd anyway. I'm an old soul.

Doc Sausage

I discovered these kids only a month or so ago when reading that Robert Plant himself said he was a fan. But what does he know about Led Zeppelin anyway? Rock on GVF and never mind the geezers! :dude:

Last edited:

Wizard1183

I say go GVF. Classic rock is a million times better than Modern rock is. The fact there is a new band, let alone with youngsters, playing that kind of music is wonderful. I'd agree they are very much in the vain of Led Zeppelin. Give them time. At least it's original music. There are successful big names out today where their first album that went big was an album of COVERS of their favorite music. GVF is writing.

I'm 29 years old and I have no interest in new music outside of a few rare exceptions. Classic rock is my life. It's why I picked up a guitar. It's changed my life. It's the best music IMO and my favorite music.

I'd rather listen to a real rock n' roll band playing classic inspired music than to listen to Shinedown, Foo Fighters, or QOTSA or some weaksauce like that. So many bands forget the "roll" in rock n' roll. Without the roll the swagger, grove, vibe, etc are all gone and it's just meh.

When I talk about my influences and the music I like on Facebook or when I play classic rock hits with my band live I get a ton of people coming up to me telling me how happy they are that there are people my age who actually love and breathe classic rock music and working on keeping guitar and rock and roll alive. It makes me feel good. We need more people in my age group and younger who are classic rock lovers and realize how terrible music is today. Then guitar based RNR might have a decent chance of surviving. I'm doing my part, as is Greta Van Fleet. Good on those kids for keeping this music alive!

If young people my age don't like what I do, forget about them. I've always ran with an older crowd anyway. I'm an old soul.

i agree with I. But the one band that comes to mind that’s modern classic rock is The Darkness. Phenomenal band. Highly underrated....

Foggy72

Can't stand them.

Sorry I don't get the hype. Just an amateur starting band. The A -G - D chords are as cliché as you can get. They try hard for the vintage rock sound with the gear, so there's that. But I never got the Black Crowes either.

that band is kicking some sERIious ass right now

I would love to see them live.

Led Zeppelin had a baby and that baby's name is Greta Van Fleet

LONG LIVE ROCK :yah

Actually, more like Led ZEP had a one night stand with Cher....but maybe....just maybe.... Sonny got there first.

Bruce R

Just received this month's Vintage Guitar Magazine, and on the cover are two of the 3 brothers in the band. Jake actually has two '61 LP SG's, one is quite a bit more worn than the other. I haven't had a chance to read all of their article yet, but anyone contributing to this thread should check it out.

mustachio

Wasn’t Zeppelin a Willie Dixon and a Jeff Beck cover band when they started? Christ-it-ain’t-Easy!

Grog

Just received this month's Vintage Guitar Magazine, and on the cover are two of the 3 brothers in the band. Jake actually has two '61 LP SG's, one is quite a bit more worn than the other. I haven't had a chance to read all of their article yet, but anyone contributing to this thread should check it out.

It sounds like Chicago Music Exchange gave him 2 SGLPs with the sidways vibrato acording to the artical. Good advertisement for CME and it's a good way to interest another generation to a vintage model they may have never seen otherwise.

cincyguitar

I saw in VG mag...he was holding 2 SG/Les Pauls...the band must be making the money...or they are re-issues...those guitars are expensive....:dude:

Xpensive Wino

I saw in VG mag...he was holding 2 SG/Les Pauls...the band must be making the money...or they are re-issues...those guitars are expensive....

Didn't he say they are real and were both gifts from Andrew Yonke in his interview? :hmm

Check page 91.

jbzoso2002

This band is no where close to Led Zeppelin!

The comparisons are a joke.

I just heard a vid of them on Jimmy Fallon and
the singer was just plain screaming, it sounded like garbage.

I had to turn it off, I couldn't stand it.:dang

Jimmy

nichd

Love it... are you kidding me... kid rocking a 61 SG/LP and it sounds great. So what if they sound like Zep or whoever... that's fine with me.