The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

From Michigan, so I try to like them, but this band is boring.

Check out Starcrawler for a hot new band.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Gress View Post

I did cool sound !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars

I quite like GVF. Are they Led Zeppelin? No. Do they sound a lot like Led Zeppelin? Yes. Do I care? No. At least it's a new band that plays guitars instead of turntables, and writes their own songs (most of which are quite good). They do nick from Zeppelin, but I don't mind that. It's not like the originators are still doing it. THere's no new Zeppelin to compete with. I think its a case of internet trolls who have to bitch about something, who rag on them, in the age of social media. Can you imagine what kind of abuse Kingdom Come who have taken in this era? They were a worse Zep-type band, and the criticism of them was mild, comparatively speaking. I'm gonna see GVF in September, and am looking forward to it. So while everyone else is complaining about them ripping off Zeppelin (which is funny, Zep ripped off all the old blues guys back in the day), I'll just enjoy them and rock out

Quote Originally Posted by jbzoso2002 View Post
    This band is no where close to Led Zeppelin!

The comparisons are a joke.

I just heard a vid of them on Jimmy Fallon and
    the singer was just plain screaming, it sounded like garbage.

I had to turn it off, I couldn't stand it.

Jimmy
    I, too, had to turn off the Fallon clip. I think the problem is that he was singing at the top of his voice and the strain is beginning to show. He's young, but he's damaging his vocal cords doing that, and touring will strain any voice. Even Plant didn't sing that way all the time. That's what made them so dramatic--the softer parts with the screams. Also, Plant's screams didn't grate like nails on a chalkboard. This kid's sounded grating right out of the gate on that song. Earlier vids of some of their earlier material, his voice was piercing, but not unpleasant. He'd best be careful or his career will be over a LOT sooner than he wants it to be.

I am old enough to remember the trashing Robin Trower took when he hit the scene, big-time, in the early 70's. They said that he was nothing but a Hendrix rip-off and all that sort of stuff. He went on to give us some amazing music over the course of his career. Yeah, it was obviously inspired by Jimi, but he took it and made it his own. Hopefully, once the hysteria dies down, GVF will do the same.
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

Les Paul Forum Member

Can we not just be happy that a young ROCK AND ROLL band is getting some major attention? Some of you guys need to take your Geritol.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat-Foot View Post
    Can we not just be happy that a young ROCK AND ROLL band is getting some major attention? Some of you guys need to take your Geritol.
    +100 ^

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Ford View Post
    Can't stand them.
    I cant stand them either. Comparing them to Led Zeppelin is an insult to Led Zeppelin. Its like when they were saying John Mayer was the new SRV .... fAilZ. It just proves my point that we live in a vacuum for real Talent & people desperately want something to believe in.
    Tickets for GVF went on sale 2 months ago. Nobody could get thru to buy the first hour. By the second hour prices for the regular crappy seats Tripled in price.
    Sorry but im not paying $300 bucks to sit in the back to watch Greta & her sisters pretend to Rock n Roll.

Growing up in the 60's & 70's and surviving the 80's im content knowing ive prolly seen the best Talent ever to play music & i don't have to try hard to see anything else.

Here's something with much more spirit excitement and cool in two minutes.

..spirit excitement ....

Are we seeing the same video? Other than the guitarist the rest of them look like they are sedated!! All in good fun, OK? I see more Ramones than anything else. I am glad to see the younger kids are keeping this type of music alive.
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

Quote Originally Posted by BGReed2 View Post
    Are we seeing the same video? Other than the guitarist the rest of them look like they are sedated!! All in good fun, OK? I see more Ramones than anything else. I am glad to see the younger kids are keeping this type of music alive.

Live, she spits blood and hurls herself all over the stage, usually half naked.

Quote Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
    Live, she spits blood and hurls herself all over the stage, usually half naked.
    Yeah, too bad she's so freaking thin. Like a stick. Girls like that hold zero appeal for me. Someone buy her a couple of dozen cheeseburgers!

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Fan View Post
    Yeah, too bad she's so freaking thin. Like a stick. Girls like that hold zero appeal for me. Someone buy her a couple of dozen cheeseburgers!
    You're a real gem.

Posted by Arrow on her IG

Quote Originally Posted by arrowdewilde
    "eat a cheeseburger"

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    +100 ^
    Absolutely!!! people complain about rap and EDM music taking over and Pop and what not. Now that GVF is getting attention, people complain as well.

BTW, That starcrawler video did not appeal to me, they are not bad but it sounds like green day. I definitely prefer GVF.

I am the SAME on Starcrawler. However; I am glad they ARE talented and are playing GOOD music instead of scratching it up. And she DOES need a few cheeseburgers. She scares me. We must be twins... Do you look like this too?

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Im not on the cover of Vintage Guitar no body is paying to hear me play , stop playing might bring some cash my way . GVF is doing something on a national level . This band has my respect as other bands I do not favor .
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    Im not on the cover of Vintage Guitar no body is paying to hear me play , stop playing might bring some cash my way . GVF is doing something on a national level . This band has my respect as other bands I do not favor .
    I actually go to ALL the talent nights! After a set of me the bars ACTUALLY PAY ME NOT TO COME BACK! It is quite lucrative.

God...some of you guys are fucking harsh. In this day of Thirty Seconds to Mars, 5 Seconds of Summer and every other pop sensation clone who won't have more than 15 minutes of fame, there comes a group of kids paying homage to the kind of music that doesn't get made any more. It's so refreshing to see guys that age playing vintage instruments with a vintage sound. I for one would give my left nut to be doing that right now. I love Led Zeppelin. But they're not making music anywhere else but my turntable. I truly enjoy listening to what these kids have done and are looking forward to seeing what else they accomplish.

I respect this chick more because she's Original.

GVF seems they're trying to be something they're not which seems dis-ingenuous.

It also seems cart before the horse for a band with no album to be Touring.

Quote Originally Posted by jalevinemd View Post
    God...some of you guys are fucking harsh. In this day of Thirty Seconds to Mars, 5 Seconds of Summer and every other pop sensation clone who won't have more than 15 minutes of fame, there comes a group of kids paying homage to the kind of music that doesn't get made any more. It's so refreshing to see guys that age playing vintage instruments with a vintage sound. I for one would give my left nut to be doing that right now. I love Led Zeppelin. But they're not making music anywhere else but my turntable. I truly enjoy listening to what these kids have done and are looking forward to seeing what else they accomplish.
    true dat jmd ..and btw ..this thread is about GVF ..not one who needs the cheeseburgers that it looks like the other one ate ..or any other bands ..why shoot 'em down ?

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    true dat jmd ..and btw ..this thread is about GVF ..not one who needs the cheeseburgers that it looks like the other one ate ..or any other bands ..why shoot 'em down ?
    +2!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack30 View Post

I respect this chick more because she's Original.

GVF seems they're trying to be something they're not which seems dis-ingenuous.

It also seems cart before the horse for a band with no album to be Touring.
    Have you paid attention to the music business in the last 15 years? Albums don't make money, touring does. They have generated a ton of heat with their EPs and the fact that they are touring like maniacs. They are doing it right. BE SUPPORTIVE OF YOUNG BANDS MAKING ROCK AND ROLL

Les Paul Forum Member

My son (20) and I are heading to the Austin Music Festival in October...GVF is on the billing Friday.
    Looking forward to seeing them live, my son is even more excited!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flat-Foot View Post
    Have you paid attention to the music business in the last 15 years? Albums don't make money, touring does. They have generated a ton of heat with their EPs and the fact that they are touring like maniacs. They are doing it right. BE SUPPORTIVE OF YOUNG BANDS MAKING ROCK AND ROLL
    Sorry man, gotta be truthful GVF music is just kinda weird. Maybe if i hadn't grown up with so many great bands i wouldn't know any different.

If you were about to touch the 3rd Rail and get killed you'd want me to warn you wouldn't you.

GVF is the 3rd Rail.

FWIW im sure they think they're the Ultimate Rock Band.

Like i said they dont even have an album released or recorded, putting them on Tour seems cart before the Horse.

There are no 1/2 measures to success.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Sorry man, gotta be truthful GVF music is just kinda weird. Maybe if i hadn't grown up with so many great bands i wouldn't know any different.

If you were about to touch the 3rd Rail and get killed you'd want me to warn you wouldn't you.

GVF is the 3rd Rail.

FWIW im sure they think they're the Ultimate Rock Band.

Like i said they dont even have an album released or recorded, putting them on Tour seems cart before the Horse.

There are no 1/2 measures to success.
    GVF has one full length album last time I checked iTunes. I give them an A for effort, but a C- for originality and talent.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

I think it was pretty common in the 70's to work the bugs out on new material live before recording it. And like has been said, money is all made on the road nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    GVF has one full length album last time I checked iTunes. I give them an A for effort, but a C- for originality and talent.
    2 Singles is all they had. Maybe they have a Live release going on. They've done no Studio work. They lost the first Drummer earlier this year. They canceled 2 sold out shows here earlier this year. IDK if anyone got refunds. When tickets went on sale for the third show the ticket prices Tripled after the first hour for the shitty seats. It was a total scam.
    They are as bad as old Guns & Roses for not showing up. At least nowdays Guns shows up.

Like most music after 1990' i want nothing to do with this ...

2 Singles is all they had. Maybe they have a Live release going on. They've done no Studio work. They lost the first Drummer earlier this year. They canceled 2 sold out shows here earlier this year. IDK if anyone got refunds. When tickets went on sale for the third show the ticket prices Tripled after the first hour for the shitty seats. It was a total scam.
    They are as bad as old Guns & Roses for not showing up. At least nowdays Guns shows up.

Like most music after 1990' i want nothing to do with this ...
    They've put out two EP's & a single. Total of 9 songs, all studio, no live. They switched drummers back in 2013. Maybe get your facts straight before trashing them. The world needs less haters, not more.

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    They've put out two EP's & a single. Total of 9 songs, all studio, no live. They switched drummers back in 2013. Maybe get your facts straight before trashing them. The world needs less haters, not more.
    http://loudwire.com/greta-van-fleet-...rummer-injury/

An extended play record, often referred to as an EP, is a musical recording that contains more tracks than a single, but is usually unqualified as an album or LP. EPs generally do not contain as many tracks as albums, and are considered "less expensive and time-consuming" for an artist to produce than an album.

Extended play - Wikipedia

THEY'RE JUST LIKE LED ZEPPLIN ....

An extended play record, often referred to as an EP, is a musical recording that contains more tracks than a single, but is usually unqualified as an album or LP. EPs generally do not contain as many tracks as albums, and are considered "less expensive and time-consuming" fo

Wow, they cancelled a show because their drummer got injured...exactly the same as losing him, as you said. Also, you said "They've done no studio work".....I believe releasing 9 tracks counts as studio work. Look, I get it, you hate them, and wish you had Jimmy Page's new solo album to listen to instead.....It's really your loss. My point was there are so many naysayers (like yourself) who would rather tear artists down instead of supporting them. Please post a clip of your masterpiece that is so much better than anything GVF has done....I'll wait
    Last edited by KS 5150; 08-24-18 at 08:23 AM.

Wow, they cancelled a show because their drummer got injured...exactly the same as losing him, as you said. Also, you said "They've done no studio work".....I believe releasing 9 tracks counts as studio work. Look, I get it, you hate them, and wish you had Jimmy Page's new solo album to listen to instead.....It's really your loss. My point was there are so many naysayers (like yourself) who would rather tear artists down instead of supporting them. Please post a clip of your masterpiece that is so much better than anything GVF has done....I'll wait

"Hate" isn't in my DNA bro. Having an "opinion" about music is as individual as the color of our Hair.

The music isnt really that bad but the singer looks & sounds like Lesbian. Just not my thing man.

Im not "anti greta" im just "Pro something else".

All good. I'm not comparing GVF to LZ either, believe me. They are not in the same league. My point was that they shouldn't be ravaged just because they sound somewhat similar. There will never be another Zeppelin, IMO. I just liked the fact that a new band came out, appreciate vintage guitars and are trying to play rock n' roll in a world of rap, EDM, boy bands etc. That was all. I totally respect your right to not be a fan. Music is always subjective & up to the beholder. Have a great Sunday!

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

All good. I'm not comparing GVF to LZ either, believe me. They are not in the same league. My point was that they shouldn't be ravaged just because they sound somewhat similar. There will never be another Zeppelin, IMO. I just liked the fact that a new band came out, appreciate vintage guitars and are trying to play rock n' roll in a world of rap, EDM, boy bands etc. That was all. I totally respect your right to not be a fan. Music is always subjective & up to the beholder. Have a great Sunday!
    See...here is the problem many folks have with these comparisons to Led Zeppelin. IMO Greta VF doesn't even remotely "sound somewhat similar".

The lineup which includes a shrieking young adolescent singer, and a fledgling, wet-behind-the-ears, guitar slinger, banging out loud open string chords, doesn't even get you in the parking lot. Just curious, did GVF ever pay their dues by slogging away in the bars before "breaking out"?

You want to look for an example of a top rock singer, look no further than Freddy Mercury. Sadly he has passed away. Presently, Joe Bonamassa is the "torch bearer" in the long lineage of top blues-rock guitar players.

Eventually, this band may develop, but they have a long road ahead.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

According to Wiki, Plant gave them a thumbs up. He must like that cocked elbow move.

Paid dues? Frankenmuth MI is not tough country. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Love it! He's got that SG/LP going into the Marshall Astoria! I think it's a "Astoria Dual" which is a great amp!! Mostly PTP but uses KT-66's and a GZ34. the KT-66's are "cathode biased". I have one of the "Custom" models! These kick ass and I wish more folks were hip to them as it's a model that needs to stay in the Marshall line.
    DB - would that be similar to popping some KT66's in a tube rec'd Germino Club-40 ie. if the Astoria is a Lead or Bass circuit design or something else ? - love these young guys holding up the 60's freak flag.
    Jim

LTB golden era Pulsonic coned cabs/speakers

Les Paul Forum Member

Just heard GVF playing When Curtains fall. There is no way you can say they arenít heavily influenced by LZ. The vocals on that are close to Plantís in both styling and phrasing. The guitar is a cross between LZ and AC/DC. When I first heard it I wondered if Page and Plant had bowed to the pressure. The guitar isnít quite as flamboyant as Page but itís heavily rooted in his style and phrasing.

https://youtu.be/86_vnQc1oBE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234