The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 103
  1. #1

    Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    It looks like it says "Les Paul" on the truss rod cover, and he's wearing a Chicago Music Exchange t-shirt.





  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member bobbradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Derby city
    Posts
    664

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Yes, I believe he is I heard him say he got it from Chicago music excahange on the " let there be talk" podcast.

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member mingus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,201

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    . . . and they say the new generation doesn't care about vintage. . .

    Good for him!
    .

    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

    - Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

  4. #4
    All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    small country full of nice women and good beer
    Posts
    3,713

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Wow, nice to see some youngsters with vintage Gibson.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia


    1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    that band is kicking some sERIious ass right now

    I would love to see them live.

    Led Zeppelin had a baby and that baby's name is Greta Van Fleet

    LONG LIVE ROCK

  6. #6

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Very talented band. The singer has massive pipes. Hope he's had training, so that he won't ruin his voice. I really enjoyed the videos, but was sad to see that all the women in the audience looked annoyed and bored. Not like the old days, that's for sure.

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member TM1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom
    Posts
    7,419

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Love it! He's got that SG/LP going into the Marshall Astoria! I think it's a "Astoria Dual" which is a great amp!! Mostly PTP but uses KT-66's and a GZ34. the KT-66's are "cathode biased". I have one of the "Custom" models! These kick ass and I wish more folks were hip to them as it's a model that needs to stay in the Marshall line.

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Between Clever and Stupid
    Posts
    1,689

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    "So, which one of you is Gretta?"
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring


    My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,613

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
    "So, which one of you is Gretta?"
    The three brothers with long hair.

  10. #10
    All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,410

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cream Fan View Post
    ... but was sad to see that all the women in the audience looked annoyed and bored. Not like the old days, that's for sure.

    You've seen the vintage Zep footage in HTWWW? Same thing.

  11. #11

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    You've seen the vintage Zep footage in HTWWW? Same thing.

    You know, I DO remember that. I'm also recalling a shot from Hendrix at Woodstock DVD when he's playing the Star Spangled Banner. There's this blonde standing in the audience, not far from the stage, who looks as if she could spit nails, as if she's thinking: "Can we just leave, already?"

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    SF Bay
    Posts
    52

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    I noticed this too and was very happy to see some awesome vintage gear in young hands. Makes me kind of sad that most of this stuff is in the hands of retirees or locked up in safes. No offense to anyone older but if you're young and serious, get your dream gear now!

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member DEVILBAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,634

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Love it! He's got that SG/LP going into the Marshall Astoria! I think it's a "Astoria Dual" which is a great amp!! Mostly PTP but uses KT-66's and a GZ34. the KT-66's are "cathode biased". I have one of the "Custom" models! These kick ass and I wish more folks were hip to them as it's a model that needs to stay in the Marshall line.

    He's using the Marshall Astoria Custom, a special run with vintage style black tolex, grill cloth and plaque. Killer amp. Looks like Joel from CME sold him that rig; he sold that same amp and recommended that SGLP to me.......lol....good guys at CME...now
    Last edited by DEVILBAT; 11-30-17 at 08:20 PM.

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    1,379

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    I love marshall combos would love to play one and check one out , as long as people migrate to these Marshall like Carr & others amps , I would agree with your point the Marshall Astoria could be history . Nice Les paul nice to see the younger artist hip to these guitars .
    Ive struggled 53 years to play guitar most of my tone is like a well placed fart , how I love the guitar !

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,613

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
    "So, which one of you is Gretta?"
    The drummer is unrelated but the vocal and guitar player are twins and bass is younger brother. Got to respect this band for the songs they've created and R&R vibe. Jimmy meets Jimi!

    https://youtu.be/1SSyJnXiRh4

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Outer Limits
    Posts
    332

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Whiskey View Post
    The drummer is unrelated but the vocal and guitar player are twins and bass is younger brother. Got to respect this band for the songs they've created and R&R vibe. Jimmy meets Jimi!

    https://youtu.be/1SSyJnXiRh4
    This Band Is Played Ofter On Little Stevens Underground Garage On Sirius XM
    And the Song was Voted Coolest Song In The World a Few Weeks Back
    They Sound Great on The Radio It Reminds me of 45 Years Ago when
    Guitar Rock Was on AM Radio These Guys Are Awesome And So very Young
    Hopefully they have a long future and look forward to some more o LSUG

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wixom MI
    Posts
    4,003

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Can't stand them.
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    1,379

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    +1 ^
    Ive struggled 53 years to play guitar most of my tone is like a well placed fart , how I love the guitar !

  19. #19

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    When this thread was first posted I started looking through videos of them that were posted on you tube. And after watching many live videos it seems like the kid singing is hurting his voice. Because I sing daily I'm pretty sensitive to what good vocal health sounds like, and I hear the signs of stress in his voice. He better learn to take care of those pipes before he does irreversible damage to his chords!

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wixom MI
    Posts
    4,003

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    that band is kicking some sERIious ass right now

    I would love to see them live.

    Led Zeppelin had a baby and that baby's name is Greta Van Fleet

    LONG LIVE ROCK
    ..unfortunately it was with HANSON...
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

  21. #21

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    When this thread was first posted I started looking through videos of them that were posted on you tube. And after watching many live videos it seems like the kid singing is hurting his voice. Because I sing daily I'm pretty sensitive to what good vocal health sounds like, and I hear the signs of stress in his voice. He better learn to take care of those pipes before he does irreversible damage to his chords!
    Someone mentioned he sounds just like Adam Sandler.

  22. #22

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cream Fan View Post
    You know, I DO remember that. I'm also recalling a shot from Hendrix at Woodstock DVD when he's playing the Star Spangled Banner. There's this blonde standing in the audience, not far from the stage, who looks as if she could spit nails, as if she's thinking: "Can we just leave, already?"
    I've also heard that look as someone having a mouthful of hornets

  23. #23
    Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,461

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Good on these young guys for getting out there and playing, enjoying music....hope it goes well for them.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    1,379

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    This band is very good at what they do ,Im not diminishing the talent in this band far from anything Im capable of doing !
    Ive struggled 53 years to play guitar most of my tone is like a well placed fart , how I love the guitar !

  25. #25

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    This band is very good at what they do ,Im not diminishing the talent in this band far from anything Im capable of doing !
    Although they sound immature on quite a few clips I've heard, there as some clips where they really show some good stuff. I hope they age well!

  26. #26

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    And after watching many live videos it seems like the kid singing is hurting his voice. Because I sing daily I'm pretty sensitive to what good vocal health sounds like, and I hear the signs of stress in his voice. He better learn to take care of those pipes before he does irreversible damage to his chords!
    Maybe true but that push is what's giving his vocals a rockin edge and not as boring as bland tapioca pudding

  27. #27
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,757

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    Although they sound immature on quite a few clips I've heard, there as some clips where they really show some good stuff. I hope they age well!
    Age of the members is around early 20s.

    How old was Plant on LZ 1? Around 19. All the bands loved by most here were in their late teens to early 20s. You just werent listening with "old" ears or watching with "old" eyes.

  28. #28

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    Age of the members is around early 20s.

    How old was Plant on LZ 1? Around 19. All the bands loved by most here were in their late teens to early 20s. You just werent listening with "old" ears or watching with "old" eyes.
    Robert Plant sang with serious power when he came out of the gate, this young kid is already showing signs of hurting his voice in clips I've heard. My older ears are trained quite a bit more than my younger ones were And I go back and watch and listen to the early Zep stuff as much as I can. But as I said, I like these guys and they show some promise. I just don't hear any depth yet in what they are doing. Nothing on the level of the groundbreaking stuff Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham, were doing! Although blues based, Led Zeppelin pulled from so many diverse influences!

  29. #29
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,757

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    Robert Plant sang with serious power when he came out of the gate, this young kid is already showing signs of hurting his voice in clips I've heard. My older ears are trained quite a bit more than my younger ones were And I go back and watch and listen to the early Zep stuff as much as I can. But as I said, I like these guys and they show some promise. I just don't hear any depth yet in what they are doing. Nothing on the level of the groundbreaking stuff Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham, were doing! Although blues based, Led Zeppelin pulled from so many diverse influences!
    I wasnt talking about Plants technique so much (although he did change his style after the first couple albums so makes you wonder if he was having issues).

    I love LZ 1. But, it was mostly cover material (reinterpreted uniquely by them) and dirivitive from the Yardbirds catalogue and the British interpreted blues. I dont think they started to evolve into their own until the second and third album. Most bands are that way. The Beatles first albums are a lot of covers for example. Van Fleet have a sound that we recognize because of its similarity to LZ and early 70s bands. Lets give them a coupke albums. What I like is they are being successful despite swimming against the tide of The music distribution industry which reasly wants only electronicly generated music. They have little promotion and are selling their music anyway. I hope it breaks through because we may see a rock revival....we are due for another 'Nirvana' momemt in music.

  30. #30

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    I wasnt talking about Plants technique so much (although he did change his style after the first couple albums so makes you wonder if he was having issues).

    I love LZ 1. But, it was mostly cover material (reinterpreted uniquely by them) and dirivitive from the Yardbirds catalogue and the British interpreted blues. I dont think they started to evolve into their own until the second and third album. Most bands are that way. The Beatles first albums are a lot of covers for example. Van Fleet have a sound that we recognize because of its similarity to LZ and early 70s bands. Lets give them a coupke albums. What I like is they are being successful despite swimming against the tide of The music distribution industry which reasly wants only electronicly generated music. They have little promotion and are selling their music anyway. I hope it breaks through because we may see a rock revival....we are due for another 'Nirvana' momemt in music.
    It's when they copy LZ that they hit the hardest with me, and trust me I'm rooting for them. I have tried to spread the word about them as much as possible, especially to younger fans. But if compared straight across they are light years behind the musicianship of Led Zeppelin at the same age. In GVF the bassist and drummer are both average at best. And yes, both bands are/were derivative, but Zeppelin's bag was much deeper. Jimmy Page had already built up a pile of licks even before the Yardbirds, as he was on everybody's records, and John Paul Jones was the guy to go to when you wanted the Motown feel on that side of the pond. Don't even get me started on how much of a powerhouse John Bonham was in his early 20'a. And even into the third album Plant was singing like madman as in the Immigrant Song and Celebration Day. Without Zeppelin, there would be no GVF, but you can't pinpoint any one band as the band Zeppelin built their career on, there were just too many.

    But remember I want Greta Van Fleet to kick ass, just like I did when I first heard the Black Crowes rob from the Faces and Stones!
    Last edited by rockabilly69; 01-25-18 at 04:52 AM.

  31. #31

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    one of the comments on YouTube was the singer looked like Robert Plant mated with Ralph Macchio

  32. #32
    Les Paul Forum Member corpse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    3,199

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    They have something alot of bands lack- alot of music lacks for that matter. You can't teach it, you can't buy it, you can't even steal it.
    It's called charisma. You can be the best singer, fastest picker or have the most vintage LP in the galaxy- it's nothing without that zing.

  33. #33
    Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pure Michigan
    Posts
    2,667

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Michigan band.

  34. #34

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    They have talent. However I'm not a fan of the "zeppelin knockoff" and they could use another singer? Idk, I'm happy they are there doing it cause they sound better than anything I've heard new lately? But not exactly very original. Perhaps they'll get better?

  35. #35
    Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I'm at MY HOUSE!!!!!
    Posts
    979

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Hats off to these guys for getting out there and doing there thing.

    But not impressed at all.

    Jimmy

  36. #36
    Les Paul Forum Member corpse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    3,199

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    While we are all looking to be impressed and inspired let's not forget to have fun- that's what this is.

  37. #37
    Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,613

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    I'm enjoying them. It's something new! When's the last time Zepellin or Page for that matter did anything new. For me, I love the oldies as much as the next guy but at some point it refreshing to see progression; especially in rock which needs a good shot of new blood. Plus I dig his guitar; I'm a fan of vintage SG's.

  38. #38
    Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork
    Posts
    2,534

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    that band is kicking some sERIious ass right now

    I would love to see them live.

    Led Zeppelin had a baby and that baby's name is Greta Van Fleet


    LONG LIVE ROCK
    Led Zeppelin? Not even close.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

    Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

  39. #39
    All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NH/MA Bordertown USA
    Posts
    10,703

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    I think they’re good. But it’s a bit obvious and too close to being a tribute. In one video when the singer has his hand on his hips and then makes that I’m a little tea cup Percy move, I half expected a “ Does anybody remember laughter?” moment.
    Last edited by lpnv59; 01-27-18 at 02:20 AM.
    "It's a Marshall bubby. It gets loud." Ace Frehley

  40. #40
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,757

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    I think they’re good. But it’s a bit obvious and too close to being a tribute. In one video when the singer has his hand on his hips and then makes that I’m a little tea cup Percy move, I half expected a “ Does anybody remember laughter?” moment.
    I like where they are coming from but want to see them go somewhere. I dint mind that they sound like they are copying at this early point. Lots of bands early in their development are similar. I listened to their album and there are times I also hear early Getty Lee. Eventually he will develop his own style.

    Image wise, the singer needs to grow his hair out or something. I usually dont get caught up in how bands look but, while I like their sound, they look like a band at a highschool talent show.
    Last edited by jimmi; 01-27-18 at 08:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!