• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

Wizard1183

The first time I heard these guys, I thought it was was a gag. I recall WRIF radio in Detroit playing the single of a "mystery band" back 20 years ago and kept it in rotation until it was finally revealed the it was the band "Bonham" (playing tribute to Zep). It was a let down because it was too gimmicky, rumored to be a lost Zep track, and not the way Jason Bonham should have had his coming out. I thought GVF was the same deal. However, after learning GVF were home town boys that were still in high school struck a different note for me. For all of the criticism, please... Amongst contemporary musical influence, they gravitated to a guitar driven vibe that pays (obvious) tribute to you know who. To come out of the gate and capture so much attention is great for them and anyone who appreciates guitar driven music. The industry is not attracting and touting much beyond simple pop, rap, hip hop, electronica and new folk. All forms of music are wonderful, of course, but I suspect this band could inspire another coming of hard guitar music. I liken GVF to the Black Crows, who were out of step at the time, but made a great splash.

I suspect under pro management and the right producers, they will distance themselves from their "obviousness" and carve out their own identity. They certainly have the talent. I am ready to loan that kid some of my gear, but he'll likely be able to afford his own soon. Given today's youth, should we start a "go fund me" to get the kid a burst?
No let him emphasize the SG. I know we’re all fans of the Les Paul but he doesn’t have to gravitate towards it. I agree with what you’ve said though

latestarter

There’s a lot of over thinking going on in this thread.

I’d be pretty happy if my band at 20 years old got as much attention....regardless of the pro/con.

mistersnappy

If that is all they aspire to is to just get laid. Well then they are living the dream. From an artistic stand point, its a dead end. They have real talent but need to develop some roots that go beyond copping a single iconic band whose more relevant now than when they actually existed. The one thing that these guys lack is there is absolutely nothing cutting edge or rebellious in what they're doing. Zeppelin were outsiders, and trailblazers, deeply rooted in various music forms. As is, as sold, Greta Van Fleet is about as important to to the art form as Greta Van Susternan. Thank goodness there are still artists stretching their creative boundaries with inventive new ways in songwriting and production. But the constant rehashing of the same old same old is a death sentence to guitar driven R&R.

This post is pretty spot on, not just for GVF.

StSpider

I don't really care about their music but I am sure glad they exist. Anything that gets new generations interested in guitar bass and drums is ok in my book.

Some people here are reacting like these kids are taking something away from them "they're not real rockers!!!!!"....seriously? Are you hating on a bunch of kids playing the stuff they like (how good or how bad hardly matters) and getting other kids interested in the kind of music we love??? Seriously?????

J.D.

Sheesh give these lads a break. 99.9% of all bands compared to Led Zeppelin will fall short and have for the last ~50 years. It's tough to write a truly unique song and get radio play these days, and not every band has the talent and ambition to revolutionize the music industry. What is both truly "original" and listenable these days? It's pretty much all been done already. I'm happy to hear some new rock music on the gear we dig, even of it isn't as good as Led Zeppelin.

Thundermtn

Sheesh give these lads a break. 99.9% of all bands compared to Led Zeppelin will fall short and have for the last ~50 years. It's tough to write a truly unique song and get radio play these days, and not every band has the talent and ambition to revolutionize the music industry. What is both truly "original" and listenable these days? It's pretty much all been done already. I'm happy to hear some new rock music on the gear we dig, even of it isn't as good as Led Zeppelin.

My band was dealing with this problem 15 years ago. There really aren't many untraveled roads left that still sound like music. We decided to just play what sounded good to us and if it sounded sort of like some other riff, so what, as long as it wasn't note for note we stopped giving a flip.

OldNo.7

Well, He broke the guitar and is holding it together with duct tape......

1961 Les Paul.

Go to 17min 34 sec.

Flat-Foot

20 year old kids kicking ass and making rock and roll music in 2018 and everyone wants to rain on their parade. I say good for them!

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
D066D6EB-5987-458C-8A6F-B424F15F39EC.jpeg

jimmi

Well, He broke the guitar and is holding it together with duct tape......

1961 Les Paul.

Go to 17min 34 sec.

I watch this and think there is a good chance these guys...specifically the bass player, can evolve into something really good. He has an appreciation for the details and what makes the music and the tone. He listens to different influences, appears to have a drive to evolve. Nit many 22 yr olds can talk gear and influences as fluently.

Nick-O

Lots of opinions on these guys, but the bottom line is they are loving rock 'n roll. They are making use of the opportunity...and frankly...there are ladies in the audience....seriously. You can count the ladies on one hand at most of the "guitar" shows I have been to in the last 20 years. If this is what it takes to bring rock back to the young folks, I shine them on!