The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

P90s housed in humbucker sized cases, with offset poll pieces (not centred)

hi guys

i was wondering if anyone could let me know if there are any P90 pickups on the market in humbucker sized cases where the poll pieces are in the same location as Gibson Nikle plate humbuckers, rather than in the middle.

i want to put say some bare knuckle Mississippi pickups in my les Paul, but have to put up with changing the look, as on normal Gibson pickups the poll pieces (screws) are top on the neck and bottom on the bridge, whereas on the P90s they'll be in the middle and might ruin the look of what is a classic R9 relic

many thanks

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: P90s housed in humbucker sized cases, with offset poll pieces (not centred)

Just in case I wasn't clear. I want the P90s pickups to look like humbuckers like this:

Not this:

However if nothing exists, then so be it. I'll get the bare knuckles and live with the look. Feels a shame to deface a Stanley burst though

Les Paul Forum Member guitplayer's Avatar

Look at a harmonic design Z-90. PAF
    I put `1 in the neck position here. aged cover
    Last edited by guitplayer; 08-13-17 at 07:55 AM.
    " Never Mind Your Face, just show us your card"

Fralin's sunbucker might fit your bill

i bet he'd custom wire you one that skewed heavy on the p90 flavor

Les Paul Forum Member

Thank a lot guys for the replies. I've checked out the above but what I'm really after are true P90s just in a humbucker case, rather than a hybrid or unique tone. But the case must look like a true covered humbucker.

worst case scenario I will just get the offering from bareknuckle a I'm based in the uk

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

I think Klein has some P-90/bucker size choices. Also try RC pickups: http://www.rcpickups.com/

Les Paul Forum Member

If I understand your question correctly what you are looking for is simply not possible, a P90 pickup is a single coil with the pole pieces in the middle. It cannot have the pole pieces offset to the edge. If you want a humbucker that sounds like a P90 then I am sure there may be something along those lines available but if you want a true P90 then the pole pieces can only be in the centre.

the only way you're going to get an actual p90 without any modifications into a humbucker shell is with he pole pieces centered

anything else is going to..out of necessity....be modified in some way.

Im with you on wanted to keep the look on target. I think you can get the look and the sound you're after..... But you're going to need to be a little flexible with your "exact requirements".

Les Paul Forum Member

Thanks guys

bare knuckle pickups emailed me back with the same comments. Basically I'm just going to buy a goldtop R6 instead. As I like the custombuckers in the LP now