Just personal taste, but I like this HiWatt tone better

2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Re: Any HiWatt fans about?

One of my very favourite amps ever...1973

[IMG][/IMG]

And the very last amp the late Harry Joyce completed, belonging to his Wife, and kindly lent to me as a huge favour by it's then custodian, Jeff Lewis at Matamp.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by ourmaninthenorth; 08-12-17 at 11:32 AM.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Les Paul Forum Member Luke Gibson's Avatar

I would love to own an old cab loaded with Fanes!!!
    Lost in the middle of a Brazillian rosewood
    fingerboard......

http://s97.photobucket.com/home/LukeGibson69

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thejaf View Post
    Just personal taste, but I like this HiWatt tone better

That is the SAP model. we offer it in 50, 100 and 200 watts.

Les Paul Forum Member

I love Hiwatt amps!
    Own a 72 DR-504 and two Harry Joyce half stacks... # 7, 50w, early style 4x12, V-30s in green army, and # 23, 50w, latest style 4x12, Scholz speakers, black tolex.
    I'm gonna look for an early 4x12, with cast frame Fanes sometime soon, to match the 72 DR-504 too.
    Amazing amps!!!

50w Custom head here. I got a Sound City cab to yank out the speakers and stick them in an old Orange cab to use with it. Unfortunately, they glued the nuts onto the shafts securing the speakers, so it's being used as is despite being a vertical 412. Anyway, those Fanes sound REALLY good with a Hiwatt amp.

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

Quote Originally Posted by SBlue View Post
    I love Hiwatt amps!
    I'm gonna look for an early 4x12, with cast frame Fanes sometime soon, to match the 72 DR-504 too.
    Amazing amps!!!
    Yes, thats a must with Hylight era Hiwatt!

Here is my early 72 all original halfstack (SE4122 cab). The cab was practically unused until i bought it in 2012. Brutal Marshall killer combo.

My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post

Here is my early 72 all original halfstack (SE4122 cab). The cab was practically unused until i bought it in 2012. Brutal Marshall killer combo.

That's an amazing set!!!

Hiwatt fan here, I have a lovely vintage set up, sounds fab

Years ago I auditioned a half-stack setup just like that and was blown away, until I saw the price tag. I remember the amp having the perfect crunch, a big 3D sound, and great touch sensitivity, that just knocked me out! One of my best friends was with me and he thought the same exact thing!

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

I had these for many many years. Sold the combo a couple of years ago, the stack a coupl months back. Now I only have a Hiwatt Custom Tube 20 Combo.

Love Hiwatts. Borrowed a DR50 back in my Reno days, [70's], but had to give it back, sadly. One of the very best amps I've ever heard. Nothing in the op video remotely referenced that great amp unfortunately.

All I heard was a thin one dimensional splatty treble gained up lifeless frazzesal tone noodling fest. Followed by a pedal demo. Certainly nothing as good as some $400 Blues Jrs. I'll have to try and find one to try myself but based on this I'm not inclined to try too hard.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    I had these for many many years. Sold the combo a couple of years ago, the stack a coupl months back. Now I only have a Hiwatt Custom Tube 20 Combo.
    Nice halfstack, early 70s? Why did you sell it? Too loud and heavy to carry?

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Why did you sell it? Too loud and heavy to carry?
    That was from 1972.

I've been having a very rough year. I sold because I rarely got the opportunity to play it. Just not practical, and not satisfying to haul it out and not be able to actually "hear it" because they only sound good louder. I needed the money and I got over 20 year of enjoyment from it. Head cost me 240.00 backin about 1991. Cab was 200.00!
    GLorious sound and it seriously kicked the crap out my Marshall half stack. I sold the good stuff (72 straight cab with greenbacks, 79 JMP, JTM45 RI) and kept my mutt converted combo-to-head 1982 50 watt and a ragged slant cab with black-backs.

Oh and that combo is a very early Biacrown amp. Same as Custom 50, with just a bit more gain in the preamp. I liked it more for tone. The later "lead style" hiwatts were to fizzy. This thing was perfect. If the old heads had the same gain I would have kept mine. I looked into modding it, but couldn't find any good info about making it work. Supposedly the Jimmy Page Hiwatts are very close to that front end.

Love my Hi-Tone DG-50!! Have the DR and Eclipse 4x12 cabinets. This is the real deal if you want pure Hiwatt tone without hunting down a good clean Hylight era Hiwatt. Clayton knows the circuits and what makes ‘em sound good!

Les Paul Forum Member becks bolero's Avatar

I had a '72 50w head with matching 4x12 purple fane laded cab, also a '78 50w head

sold them, as they were too loud and I couldn't really use them anywhere.

also get along better with the neighbours now :D

they did sound glorious cranked up though

P90 loaded SG, strat, tele, and LP all worked well with it....in their own ways
    "First off, nobody cares if you know how to play scales. Nobody gives a shit if you have good technique or not. It's whether you have feelings that you want to express with music, that's what counts, really." -Neil Young

I want one. The old one. You'll blow your EARS out kid!

Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar

"I see you play Hiwatt amps."

"What?"

"I SEE YOU PLAY HIWATT AMPS!!"

"It's 2 oclock!!! WHY?"

Les Paul Forum Member wishmerelax's Avatar

love the sound of them, but man.. east coast they're rarer than hens teeth. i've never seen one in DC in 10 years, i never saw one for sale in pittsburgh in 12, and only place i've ever seen them is chicago or milwaukee... or the internet.. always loved the ones i heard played... duane denison's was way nice...

The Hiwatt Customs are really good amps, however, they do break up a bit - especially with humbuckers - to give some nice mid gain light crunch.
    They are also very loud. I played a Custom 20 that I really liked, and I assume the 50 is similar
    The OCD is an OK pedal. It is principally mid-gain voiced, and does some nice crunch sounds. Plenty of gain to it. However it sounds like a pedal. There is a fizz in it that you can't dial out, and it does NOT clean up as well as other pedals.
    I would be recommending a Blackstone Mosfet - i've heard equally good things about the Tim or Timmy pedals, or an Okko Diablo. If you really want to splash out, get a Pete Cornish SS3 / G2 duplex pedal.
    If you want to get a Hiwatt from America, get a Reeves instead. You can buy a UK Hiwatt OK as it is made by a different company. Alternately, as David suggested, get a Harry Joyce amp.
    Last edited by wishmerelax; 02-08-19 at 03:15 AM.

love the sound of them, but man.. east coast they're rarer than hens teeth. i've never seen one in DC in 10 years, i never saw one for sale in pittsburgh in 12, and only place i've ever seen them is chicago or milwaukee... or the internet.. always loved the ones i heard played... duane denison's was way nice...

Never been a fan.
    "Nice case" ~ Joe Bonamassa

Les Paul Forum Member

'72 Dr103 with a '72 SE4122 Cab.

HUGE FAN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post

Lovely & early.

Never seen one of those DR508's in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    Never seen one of those DR508's in the flesh.

Neither have I.

I should have included at least a brief description: first photo is a '69 DR504 on top of a '68 DR504 - you can see why they stopped using Rexine; second photo is a '66 Arbiter Power One Hundred on top of a '67 DR506.

Les Paul Forum Member cincyguitar's Avatar

I could kick myself....had a chance to buy a Hiwatt 4x12 a few years ago for$350...never pass a good deal by...even if ya have to borrow a few bucks....

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Neither have I.

I should have included at least a brief description: first photo is a '69 DR504 on top of a '68 DR504 - you can see why they stopped using Rexine; second photo is a '66 Arbiter Power One Hundred on top of a '67 DR506.

Stu, am I right in remembering the DR506 was the bass version of the DR508...?

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    Stu, am I right in remembering the DR506 was the bass version of the DR508...?
    Correct. One mud channel, one normal.

Old thread but that reminded me of some good old days

Loved the old Hiwatt DR+SE tone & feel, kind of unique and one of the best platform to build your personal soundscape on especially if you like adding effects IMHO (having such a broad clear and defined spectrum/sound with great dynamic and headroom available).
    I've had and played a few stacks, especially a couple of early 70's DR103 + SE4121/4122 cabs, and as it was said above the Fane cabs were a BIG part of the tone & feel signature IMHO; I gotta say I almost appreciated the cabs even more than the amps, and played some with old Marshall & Laney heads as well.
    One of the best "wow" guitar tone moments I can remember was when I plugged a good strat and old school Treble Booster into an old Marshall Superbass on top of one of those SE4122 Fane cabs.

A couple friends of mine own DR103's, it's such a great allround amplifier. I remember fondly the day that we got together in this sports hall and cranked them. Even with earplugs the volume was deafening!

I am a big fan of The Who and Pete Townshend playing a SG Special or LP Deluxe through a few stacks of Hiwatts is one of my favorite sounds. Here in Europe, Hiwatts are very rare, and the shipping costs and import taxes make an American replacement like Hi-Tone/Reeves very expensive indeed, so I had a friend build me a CP103 clone using many NOS parts including Philips mustard caps. The only thing holding it back I think are the transformers that come from a Laney Superklipp. They are Partridges but different than the Hiwatt ones, we had to use a VVR to lower the voltages. Any advice on (European) transformers is welcome!

Count me in. I go through phases with my amps, currently Hiwatt is on a big upswing. I have a '73 DR103 with matching SE4123 cab. Killer sounding amp and the perfect pedal platform as has been said. I also have a CP103 built from scratch with NOS parts and new Heyboer transformers based on a particular 1969 amp. I'm using that with a '69 Sound City amp which has heavy magnet Fanes similar or identical with the Fanes used in the same era Hiwatt cabs (i.e. the "herringbone" type cabs such as used by Townshend/The Who around that time). I also used to own a clone of the infamous Jimmy Page model.

I've just been on a binge, buying up several old Hiwatt slave amps which I am going to convert to some more famous models, most likely another CP103 "The Who" and a "Jimmy Page" model. And to top it all off, I also just bought a '71 SE4122 cab. It should be very interesting to compare this with my Sound City cab. Different cab construction (ported back panel in particle board vs closed back plywood), but the speakers should be somewhat similar.

There was a DR201 in the KT88 version for sale locally a few years ago which I would have loved to buy, but it was quite expensive.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by richard henry View Post
    Never been a fan.
    i fell into a dave reeves 100 with cab, in the mid 80's sqeacky clean almost unplayed. i cranked it up and it sounded like a huge frog croaking, at least to me.
    i didnt try it with a pedal after hearing the natural tone i was done. i stuck with my tweed bassman although not as loud.
    the clip on this post does sound really killer with amp and pedal (pre amp?)combo. i heard the matchless superchief was based off the hiwatt ?

Here are some clips with fully cranked 72 DR103 with 72 SE4122 cab, with different guitars mentioned there. Hard to record it, cause of the brutal loudness and punchy tone.

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/...i-part1-hiwatt

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/...r103-halfstack

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/...e-hiwatt-dr103

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/deluxe22

Here are some clips with fully cranked 72 DR103 with 72 SE4122 cab, with different guitars mentioned there. Hard to record it, cause of the brutal loudness and punchy tone.

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/...i-part1-hiwatt

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/...r103-halfstack

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/...e-hiwatt-dr103

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/deluxe22
    I swear my trousers were flapping just listening....

Thanks for posting Pal.

Les Paul Forum Member Supronaut's Avatar

Always wanted a JP Custom 100W Hi-Tone. From the videos I've seen it seems to sound amazing.

I love the sound of HiWatts - how could I not when they're on most of my favourite albums of all time? - but I've never been able to play one in person.

That said there are two big coincidences with Hiwatt. I currently live around a mile from where Dave Reeves was building them in '68 (New Malden) and my friend's dad used to work for them in the 70s and told me the feedback from players was that they sounded beautiful clean but always wanted more break-up.

Quote Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
    told me the feedback from players was that they sounded beautiful clean but always wanted more break-up.
    Interesting is, that the first truly gainier Hiwatts appeared in 68-70 (only some from this timeframe, others were like classical early 70s preamp scheme) and then in 77 and later 2 input ones.