• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Custom Alnicio options

fakejake

Hey there,
I was wondering what options other than custom shop reissues there are to get a LPC with P90 and Alnicio pups?
Did Gibson ever do a non custom shop run? What about Orville, Tokai, Burny etc? Epiphone maybe?

In case there are no other more affordable options, what would I be looking at when trying to convert lets say an Orville with humbuckers?
Fill the PU routes, new PUs, plus a top refin? How bad would just dropping in the P90 and alnicio look like?

Cheers!

zhivago

Well, you'd have to do some work, but you could get one of these Epiphones:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-Inspired-by-1955-LP-Custom-Outfit.aspx

then you would have to find a staple pickup for it...maybe Gibson would sell you one.

If not, Seymour Duncan's custom shop used to make them....so you could get one from there and have it fitted.

Keep in mind the route for the staple pickup is deeper than a P90, so you'd have to take some would out from the Epiphone, I'd think.

I've never seen anything else non-Gibson Custom Shop that would come close. :hank

fakejake

Thanks a lot, that Epi looks really interesting. Might be more difficult than I thought to get a spare alnicio pickup though...
Btw, I jut realized I posted this under Other Gibsons instead of Non-Gibson guitars, apologies for that..

dnabbet2

Thanks a lot, that Epi looks really interesting. Might be more difficult than I thought to get a spare alnicio pickup though...
Btw, I jut realized I posted this under Other Gibsons instead of Non-Gibson guitars, apologies for that..

Lollar make a soap bar staple pickup to fit a P90 rout -- I believe it comes in both neck and bridge models, and both black and cream covers, though not with gold parts.

I had one in the bridge of a Robbie Krieger.

Good pickup. Similar sound to the staple reissue you can get from Seymour Duncan, which I still have in the neck of the same guitar. Not the SAME but no extra routing.