The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Burst of the Month, August 2017...0-7595 What do you call this type of maple figure?

I was talking to the owner on Saturday and he asked what term is used to describe the type of "flame" in his 60 Burst. Obviously not a plain top, but not stripes and not "flamey" as we usually use this description.

The best I could come up with was to say, it has "action".
    When it is not plain but there is something there, you will see "movement" in the figure as the angle changes. The common 3-D effect of figured maple.

Whatever it is called, it is certainly not plain and it is very beautiful!

Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Re: Burst of the Month, August 2017...0-7595 What do you call this type of maple figu

Interesting how light the fretboard is. Reminds me more of what I see on many late 60ies Gibsons...
    Also, is there something off on the right stoptail stud? Looks really high up.
    Beautiful guitar still!

Re: Burst of the Month, August 2017...0-7595 What do you call this type of maple figu

Thanks for sharing, Tom.

Les Paul Forum Member

Very nice Tom .Could the bass side look a little like birdseye maple ? The treble side I think I would call it lightly figured maple .

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Very nice Tom .Could the bass side look a little like birdseye maple ? The treble side I think I would call it lightly figured maple .
    I don't see any birds eyes anywhere on the top.
    I have higher resolution photos [that I took in January, 2016]. Unfortunately, they are too much data for my photo hosting site.
    One of them can be seen in Burst Believers III on page 164.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Great looking Burst Thank you for sharing Tom !
    He was a sonic disaster, thinking hours of practice would make up for stock pickups, poorly carved top and The wrong glue !

Looks like a top with mild figuring to me, Tom.

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar

That looks like borderline quilted maple to me.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Les Paul Forum Member Daytripper67's Avatar

It looks like waves of fire ,like looking at the sun.

A stone's throw from Malibu... if you throw REALLY hard! I mean REALLY hard!

When there's action, but the description would fall outside of the different categories of flame, I just call it a "figured burst".

Nice one!

BTW: These two photos are from Gruhn's ... I think it was 2013 maybe?

Many of the photos at BurstSerial are from that ad: http://www.burstserial.com/index.php?/category/1378
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member

Light curl???
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Mottled?

Les Paul Forum Member slammintone's Avatar

I'd call that very cool and very distinctive. Gorgeous Burst!

I was thinking the same thing as Charlie for the bass side. Mottled. Maybe even lightly quilted.
    Light figure on the treble side.

Les Paul Forum Member slammintone's Avatar

Windswept wildfire is what it reminds me of.

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

I call that "Bubbles & Clouds" flame.

Les Paul Forum Member

http://www.lespaulforum.com/slubarti...le/figure.html

ran across that....I stick with light curl.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Watery flame?

Les Paul Forum Member Chef Greg's Avatar

I'd call it "good enough for me" ...
    "I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did before.".

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

kinda reminds me of undulatus cloud formation

http://www.frankdeboosere.be/vragen/vraag219.php

beautiful and very unique looking to me

Partly cloudy.

Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Dig partly cloudy- very descriptive.

I have a couple of modern ones that are similar. I call it quilted flame in my head.
    Renderit, You have an interesting perspective and your posts aren't boring...
    Ren, all in all, I'm giving you a C- today's posts...
    Most of what you write with regards to my posts is cryptic nonsensical gibberish like this. I would prefer if you actually added something to the conversation but hey, I haven't walked in your shoes. So being as nice as possible: I look at your posts as if I was dealing with an eccentric cousin who comes to visit unannounced.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I call it quilted flame in my head.

Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

"blistery curl"

Great example of Sugar Maple figure.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Chameleon curl.........maybe?
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

spamalade

Amazing how far off the centre line the maple join is on these late '60s! I can't think of a deliberate reason Gibson would do such a thing, seeing as all the top carving was fixed and indexed, and any deviation would have to deliberate

That's basically a combination of a mild quilt, mild flame, and a mild blister top.

So it's a Flisterquilt

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Looks like the top seam is under the "G" string.. Tailpiece.. I think in 1960 the angle of the Stoptail was corrected to be equal on both sides. It had been slightly angled towards the high "E" on the Treble side and was corrected to be equal on both sides from the bottom of the body. So it gives the illusion of being off when in reality it's not..
    BTW, absolutely beautiful guitar!

Technically, "quilt" figure is only found on Western Big Leaf Maple.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Looks like the top seam is under the "G" string.
    It's a little bit to the left of the G, but not perfectly centered.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Looks like the top seam is under the "G" string.. Tailpiece.. I think in 1960 the angle of the Stoptail was corrected to be equal on both sides. It had been slightly angled towards the high "E" on the Treble side and was corrected to be equal on both sides from the bottom of the body. So it gives the illusion of being off when in reality it's not..
    BTW, absolutely beautiful guitar!
    It's bizarre and unlikely Gibson would take the effort to correct a 1/16 deviation in stoptail bushing location resulting from the slight off square improvised metal jig they used to drill the holes, yet not notice nor correct an off centre seam top, one of the most fundamental and basic elements in Gibson guitars since forever I know Gibson couldn't care less about hidden issues (control cavity router boo boos and pickup route mishaps being a good example), but an obviously off centre top always made me scratch my head..

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping@Shadows View Post
    I know Gibson couldn't care less about hidden issues (control cavity router boo boos and pickup route mishaps being a good example), but an obviously off centre top always made me scratch my head..
    do you believe Gibson measured the joined maple halves to be dead nuts @ center before cutting ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    I was talking to the owner on Saturday and he asked what term is used to describe the type of "flame" in his 60 Burst. Obviously not a plain top, but not stripes and not "flamey" as we usually use this description.

The best I could come up with was to say, it has "action".
    When it is not plain but there is something there, you will see "movement" in the figure as the angle changes. The common 3-D effect of figured maple.

Whatever it is called, it is certainly not plain and it is very beautiful!

Strikes me as fluid, sketchy like someone dabbed a brush with paint and twirled the tip around on the top. Call it Monet Flame or Monet Burst.

Les Paul Forum Member Luke Gibson's Avatar

I just call it figure.... Beautiful!
    Lost in the middle of a Brazillian rosewood
    fingerboard......

http://s97.photobucket.com/home/LukeGibson69

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Partly cloudy.

indeed!

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Embers
    He was a sonic disaster, thinking hours of practice would make up for stock pickups, poorly carved top and The wrong glue !

Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar

Partly cloudy.

Partly Cloudy looks best.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.

"I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast