• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Gibson Les Pauls as good as the vintage ones

Big Al

Big Al , I have been playing my 14 R9 and my Custom back and forth for a couple of months and the ebony board Lester just sounds brighter to my ears than the rosewood board R9 . Same amp , same settings and the rosewood board has a more mellow sound where the ebony board Lester has a more bright sound which I address thru the tone control on the guitar (I just dial the tone down to 5.5 on the ebony versus 6.5 on the R9 ) I remember you telling me to give the T-Tops a try versus the 57 Classics which sound a tad bit harsh in the ebony board Lester versus the Custombuckers in the R9 which sound to me like the best pickups with the exception of the Holy grail of tone -the Vintage original Gibson PAF's .Which I am so crazy with this pursuit of tone that if I had crazy money to spend I would be very curious to hear vintage PAF's in the ebony board Custom .My T-Tops do not have covers on them and who would you suggest I get Gold covers from Gibson or Throback ?(I would have to get them wax potted) I am thinking maybe trying this in Spring 2018?

I have no doubt you find one brighter than the other. I have several near identical R9's all with same wood and guess what? Some are brighter than others. What I dispute is your claim that Customs offer a tonal difference due to fingerboard wood. You got two different sounding guitars, that's all, it isn't proof of fingerboard tone.

rockabilly69

I have no doubt you find one brighter than the other. I have several near identical R9's all with same wood and guess what? Some are brighter than others. What I dispute is your claim that Customs offer a tonal difference due to fingerboard wood. You got two different sounding guitars, that's all, it isn't proof of fingerboard tone.
I don't think so either, but I do think the neck as a whole changes tone. I used to swap necks on Telecasters, and more than not, the tone followed the neck! And in those experiments, I found some rosewood fingerboard guitar necks that were brighter than some maple fingerboard necks. That's what I used to look for as I like the feel of rosewood better!

Big Al

I don't think so either, but I do think the neck as a whole changes tone. I used to swap necks on Telecasters, and more than not, the tone followed the neck! And in those experiments, I found some rosewood fingerboard guitar necks that were brighter than some maple fingerboard necks. That's what I used to look for as I like the feel of rosewood better!

I agree. I feel the neck, on the whole including attachment is a major and critical component in the tone equation.

clearmudd

Yes,.......New LPs can and are better than vintage LPs.........Though some vintage LPs standout as great guitars there are probably 1000s to each one of those that have been recently made that can be considered better. Just by the mass numbers of non-vintage guitars, there has to be some that are better.:)

gdx65

New LPs are as good as any guitars ever made

I think starting from 2017 Gibson may have improved things. Just traded a strat for a brand new LP Classic 2017T, the previous owner purchased it in August and never used it, maybe few times at home.......
However, the setup was a tad high (fiddling from previous owner), now lowered the action very low otherwise all is spot on. Also talked to a couple of friends working in two different music stores where I live (Norway), they are active guitar players, and both were impressed by Gibson 2017 production quality. Interesting this LP Classic weight it is exactly the same as my other 2014 Traditional (no weight relief), 4,2kg(9.25lb)

deytookerjaabs

Cute little vid from a nice guy, who obviously didn't spend enough time being properly re-educated, sharing his thoughts on a few gold tops.

gdx65

Cute little vid from a nice guy, who obviously didn't spend enough time being properly re-educated, sharing his thoughts on a few gold tops.

Now, why did you post this video? now I have to go an get a Gold top and I am still after an R8.... thanks for sharing by they way....

Mats A

Could be any Les Paul really. Play and find out if it speaks to you. There isn’t any specific vintage Les Paul tone. It doesn’t have to be a Historic Reissue. Forget about specs go for soul and feel.

Trans-Am

Difference b/w the VOS/Historics???...........as I have always learned and thought that : Historics are the entire line of Vintage Reissues, which are made by the "Custom Shop".

With the option of two finish choices ... VOS or full gloss.:yah

Trans 2017

Mats A

So they are. All Historics, Reissues, Collectors Choice and so on plus the regular Les Paul Customs is made by the Custom Shop.

JeffBlue

I don't know much about the differences. I currently own 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme that I had changed up parts and pickups. I love it. I had owned a late 60s ES 345. I also owned a Les Paul Custom that supposedly belonged to Paul Kossoff that he gifted to someone who saved him from drowning here on the West coast. This is, of course unsubstantiated. I miss both of those guitars. As far as vintage goes, I did a repair on a 1958 Les Paul Special and when I finished, I plugged it in and played it. The tone from this guitar almost made me cry. I asked if the owner would sell it ti me and he said "No." Those P90s in the aged mahogany sounded magnificent and I have not been able to replicate those tones that broke me down. I am on a quest to acquire that tone without the cost of breaking the bank. Someday, perhaps.

jwalker99

A few weeks ago I played and then quickly bought the new Mich Ralph's Collectors Choice. I played 3 of these that the dealer had just got it. The 1st 2 were good but the pickups were too strong. I was expecting the 3rd to be the same....BUT I could instantly tell it was special. A bit lighter at 8.5 lbs, the pickups sounded like a cross between strong P90s and glossy PAFs. Alot of dynamic range in the volume control too and the whole guitar resonates.

A friend owned the original Mich Ralph's LP and i had played it a few yrs ago. When i heard the collectors choice was coming out, i was hoping they wouldn't suck. Turns out they are exceptional guitars. And unfortunately, this is the last run of collectors choice guitars that gibson will do. (I am told anyway)

What it all comes down in the end, great guitars have old wood - or have replicated that sound with roasting or other luthier magic, great pickups , good acoustic resonance and good hardware - bridge, tuners and oh yeah...1 minor detail. A reasonably good player.

A loooong time ago, I played the one and only vintage Les Paul, I've had the opportunity to mess with. I played it for about half an hour in a vintage shop. It was a refinished 1957. That guitar was ungodly good! It sustained, it had the tone, it played like butter. But, was about 23k more than I had a budget for (it was priced at 24k). I understood. That tone and feel stuck with me, heck, until today.

It took me a little more than 20 years to find a comparable Les Paul. That happened to be a 2008 Traditional. It had the tone, the playability, all of it. A great guitar. But, I struggled with it's weight at gigs. So, I let it go. Since then I've owned a few and not a lot have truly compared favorably. I currently own two single cut LPs. They are great guitars, and have that vintage tone, probably better playability, but are different in a number of ways as well. Both are Lites (the thin bodied LPs). These are keepers for me, but aren't really vintage correct. they ahve a vintage appearance, but the thin body throws a lot of folks off.

If I was truly interested in chasing a vintage style LP, the Reissues would be the ones I would seek out. But, for close enough for most guys? I'd look at Traditionals. I loved mine.