The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

NGD 64 ES 345 Historic

I bought this 345 a few months back , really was not looking for a buy the day i bought this guitar . I waited to post the guitar after a few months to get past the honeymoon . This being my second memphis historic the first was a 335 not very impressive . Really like the MHS not potted . Very happy with the tone & build of this guitar . I also feel this guitar is on par with the Kalamazoo 335, 345 , 355 & Trini Lopez guitars I've owned . Never owned a Nashville although i did have a blonde custom shop 335, 91 i did play for a while I really liked .[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by AA00475Bassman; 08-06-17 at 03:35 AM.
    He was a sonic disaster, thinking hours of practice would make up for stock pickups, poorly carved top and The wrong glue !

Re: NGD 64 ES 345 Historic

Beautiful! Congrats!

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Those are awesome guitars. Congrats!

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Nice. Was the hardware that aged (tail piece esp.) or did you add some?
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Grant the guitar is as came from the factory, Vos very aged hardware more than my other VOS guitars .
    He was a sonic disaster, thinking hours of practice would make up for stock pickups, poorly carved top and The wrong glue !

Beautiful 345!

They don't always get them right (apparently), but when they do, Memphis really gets them right.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    Grant the guitar is as came from the factory, Vos very aged hardware more than my other VOS guitars .
    That's v cool then.

Yes, these are such great guitars when you get a good one. I'm still digging the stock pickups.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

She is a beauty! What year was it made? I have a 2015 Memphis '64 Reissue ES 345 in figured Cherry VOS with Varitone delete that is definitely on par with several early '60's ES models that I have previously owned, both in tone and playability. Only change I have made is to replace the original Historic no wire ABR 1 with stock nylon saddles to an identical one with titanium saddles. I ike both, and can easily change them out, depending on what gig and overall tone I'm wanting. Factory nylon is big, clear, smooth and round (great for traditional jazz/low volume blues) while TI is crisper, faster pick attack, with slightly more sustain and sounds great slightly over driven or with more distortion. Also changed the slightly cheap looking control knobs for more vintage appearing ones. Congrats on getting yours!

2015 build .

[IMG]20170221_184117.jpg[/IMG] Here's mine....very happy with it overall.
    Last edited by reddeluxe; 08-15-17 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reddeluxe View Post
    [IMG]20170221_184117.jpg[/IMG] Here's mine....very happy with it overall.
    Could not use link .

A '16 Memphis '58
    Fantastic guitar

Mr kenny just love the unbound neck , the grain is spectacular huge vibe coming off that thang . Your 58 would be my first choice never had any idea they built such a beast . So much bad press on these Memphis guitars on this forum , I sometimes wonder how much of this Info is a Witch hunt . Thank you for posting .

Mr kenny just love the unbound neck , the grain is spectacular huge vibe coming off that thang . Your 58 would be my first choice never had any idea they built such a beast . So much bad press on these Memphis guitars on this forum , I sometimes wonder how much of this Info is a Witch hunt . Thank you for posting .
    First year for es335 was '58 and the early ones had no neck binding which I prefer. There is an additional charge for a Blonde, there was in '58 too. I don't pay any attention to the negative comments. Every time I play this guitar I'm amazed, love this guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by mr kenny View Post
    A '16 Memphis '58
    Fantastic guitar

What a beauty!

That is hands down the coolest ES historic posted on this forum IMO !

sorry, can't seem to send link for my VOS Reissue ES 345.....that unbound blonde '58 Reissue is spectacular!!!
    Last edited by reddeluxe; 08-16-17 at 08:40 PM.

Redeluxe would enjoy a photo hope you can fix posting Thank you !

I would like to see more ES guitars posted on this thread , would really enjoy more Memphis guitar photos . Post away and as always Enjoy !

The 58 unbound really gave me the shivers thats for posting .

Thanks all for the nice comments
    Here's the back of that '58. Has Wolfetone Legends. Amp is a narrow panel tweed Super.

Please find the post on 4/13/17 by Dothedew on the 3rd page of The Other Gibsons page of his 2015 Non Varitone VOS 345. He has very good photos of his guitar and mine is only a few serial numbers away from his. By coincidence, they are almost identical and eerily similar in the grain and flame....mine is a touch more subdued, but overall has more flame covering the front of the guitar. I did replace the control knobs offered by Philadelphia Luthier's Supply, which are much more accurate to vintage spec than the factory Gibson knobs. Mine does have the "window" cut in the center block, even though there is no Varitone installed....doesn't seem to hurt tone or sustain one bit.

2014 ES 335 Dot gloss

2013 ES 330 Custom Shop VOS

Wow two beauties hint of flame on the 330 ! thanks

Congrats on your new 345!! I'm really digging the burst color with the gold hardware! I have a Cherry '15 345 with no Varitone and it's absolutely killer in playability, tone, and aesthetics. Memphis is doing right with these guitars, they're amazing.
    Play it in good health!

Dothedew, check your private messages.

Wow two beauties hint of flame on the 330 ! thanks
    Thanks. The 330 is particularly awesome. Everything is subtle.

Killer looking 345

Guitars:
    2013 Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul (Aged)
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 1963 Reissue
    2015 Gibson Custom Shop ES 330 1959 Reissue
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster
    2014 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Stratocaster

Amp:
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb

Please find the post on 4/13/17 by Dothedew on the 3rd page of The Other Gibsons page of his 2015 Non Varitone VOS 345. He has very good photos of his guitar and mine is only a few serial numbers away from his. By coincidence, they are almost identical and eerily similar in the grain and flame....mine is a touch more subdued, but overall has more flame covering the front of the guitar. I did replace the control knobs offered by Philadelphia Luthier's Supply, which are much more accurate to vintage spec than the factory Gibson knobs. Mine does have the "window" cut in the center block, even though there is no Varitone installed....doesn't seem to hurt tone or sustain one bit.
    I did find the post ,your run of ES 345s are gorgeous you should be very pleased those did catch my eye after i bought my sun burst . I really did start looking at more 345s & 355s really liked a black 2017 355 I played after I bought the 345 . My Rich Robinson Memphis was very much a disappointment after the honeymoon was over i did remove the custom made badge and installed a stop tail still very unhappy with the tone .

This one is something different. They came out a few years back (2014) and they didn't make many. Lemonburst 335. I am going to change out the DiMarzio anniversary's to OX4 or Thrōbaks though. Under it is a Nashville 345 Mono which I thought for years was supposed to be a 59 but the neck was so thin! The peeps here recently showed me the error (from here actually) which steered me wrong. It is a 1998 65. Fabulous build quality. P.S. Just got one of those unbound 58's. Have not even had the chance to test it yet. I will say though that the case is the biggest piece of chit I have EVER seen!

Renderit, You have an interesting perspective and your posts aren't boring...
    Ren, all in all, I'm giving you a C- today's posts...
    Most of what you write with regards to my posts is cryptic nonsensical gibberish like this. I would prefer if you actually added something to the conversation but hey, I haven't walked in your shoes. So being as nice as possible: I look at your posts as if I was dealing with an eccentric cousin who comes to visit unannounced.

Very nice Ren the pair is stellar thanks for posting . Is the crap case the same fake brown les paul historic ? Did the lemon come with the dimarzio's from the factory ? If so why would they do that to such a beautiful guitar ?

Yes. the case is the same cheap-ass LP type with feet stuck on like a mistake after the Friday bell rang.

The DiMarzios were from the factory. They wanted Double Whites and DiMarzaio has the patent. They are VERY strong and in your face. Very little nuance but if you want to knock the fillings out of the front row they are cool. I like more touch and body. I may also leave covers on even though both sets I have are double whites. I also may touch base with Thrōbak and see what his recommendation is. He ain't steered me wrong yet...
    Renderit, You have an interesting perspective and your posts aren't boring...
    Ren, all in all, I'm giving you a C- today's posts...
    Most of what you write with regards to my posts is cryptic nonsensical gibberish like this. I would prefer if you actually added something to the conversation but hey, I haven't walked in your shoes. So being as nice as possible: I look at your posts as if I was dealing with an eccentric cousin who comes to visit unannounced.

I did find the post ,your run of ES 345s are gorgeous you should be very pleased those did catch my eye after i bought my sun burst . I really did start looking at more 345s & 355s really liked a black 2017 355 I played after I bought the 345 . My Rich Robinson Memphis was very much a disappointment after the honeymoon was over i did remove the custom made badge and installed a stop tail still very unhappy with the tone .
    Curious about the tone you are unhappy with, Bassman? Could your guitar be improved with some basic setup tweaks? The height that the stoptail is set at can have an impact on sustain, tone and feel, depending on the particular guitar's neck/body angle, natural resonance (or lack of), stiffness of the neck, and overall acoustic response....be sure the string angle behind the tuneamatic bridge allows string clearance (no contact) with the back of the bridge itself. Then there is also pickup distance from the strings, pinching/low string slots in the nut or saddles, improper neck relief and last, the material the bridge saddles are made from (plated brass, nylon, steel or titanium). Hope you get it straightened out.

Curious about the tone you are unhappy with, Bassman? Could your guitar be improved with some basic setup tweaks? The height that the stoptail is set at can have an impact on sustain, tone and feel, depending on the particular guitar's neck/body angle, natural resonance (or lack of), stiffness of the neck, and overall acoustic response....be sure the string angle behind the tuneamatic bridge allows string clearance (no contact) with the back of the bridge itself. Then there is also pickup distance from the strings, pinching/low string slots in the nut or saddles, improper neck relief and last, the material the bridge saddles are made from (plated brass, nylon, steel or titanium). Hope you get it straightened out.
    I sold the Rich Robinson the ES 345 was the replacement , I really like the 345 tone and how it plays .