• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joes B's grovered 59 and grovered les Bursts in general

marshall1987

I don't have any direct experience with Grover tuners, however, I do have Gibson branded Schallers on my Gary Rossington Les Paul. These are high quality tuners that impart a more focused attack and sustain to the note.

In addition to the added mass of the Schallers, the degree of coupling these tuners add to the guitar is what I believe is responsible for much of the improvement in the sound of this guitar. The whole guitar vibrates like crazy when I play this guitar, much more so than my Les Pauls that have Kluson tuners.

VamboRool

AFAIK Gibson didn't start using chrome hardware until 1965, has anybody ever seen a pre 65 Gibson with factory chrome? So why would they have chrome Grovers for replacement/upgrade?

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
I don't have any direct experience with Grover tuners, however, I do have Gibson branded Schallers on my Gary Rossington Les Paul. These are high quality tuners that impart a more focused attack and sustain to the note.

In addition to the added mass of the Schallers, the degree of coupling these tuners add to the guitar is what I believe is responsible for much of the improvement in the sound of this guitar. The whole guitar vibrates like crazy when I play this guitar, much more so than my Les Pauls that have Kluson tuners.

I owned a Rossington years ago and found the same thing. For awhile I replaced the Shallers with Klusons, and found the same differences you just described.

agogetr

mass=sustain.in the seventies the 'in' thing was a heavy les paul with grovers and a brass nut and a marshall! (and maybe even a brass bridge)
now people tout the advantages of a 5 pound guitar.
i fall into the grover as an advantage group. an old junior with grovers and a badass bridge is a cool experience for me.
also i dont like a vintage guitar with removed grovers and klusons re installed. cmon..she's already been to the prom.
its obvious the change back to klusons is done in the hopes of raising the monetary value and in my opinion in doing so reduces sustain of the guitar. schallers are excellent keys except ugly!! imo.and chrome on an old les paul???