• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

500K volume - 250K tone pot

plexi70

looking for feedback - I recently overhauled the wiring in my 2010 Les Paul 50s tribute with a Wolftone Mean/Meaner set that included the 50s wiring style with CTS 500K audio taper pots. The stock guitar came with 300K linear volume and 500K audio tone pots. After completion, I liked how the neck sounded - almost like a fatter version of an Eric Johnson neck pickup but the bridge sounded thin and treble spikey - lots of gain but the infamous fat P90 mids were lacking. I replaced the bridge tone pot with a 250K and the mids fattened up really well, the upper-mids were evened out and the treble softened ever-so slightly. With the 500K tone pots, I didn't hear much change in the tone control until it was around 5 - now it starts at 8-9.
I'm overhauling a semi-hollow Schecter C1ea to be closer to a Languedoc and have purchased unpotted 59' humbuckers and intend on have toggle switches for series/split/parrallel. I'm considering putting a 275K CTS audio taper pot for the bridge 59b as they have a tendency to be bright and mid scooped. I've read forums where players don't care for the brightness or mid-scoop of a pickup - changing the tone pot resistance seems to be an affordable alteration that seems to shift the resonant frequency quite well and afford a great tonal range in the sweep of the tone control. I believe altering the value of the tone pot is quite different as compared to the volume pot. I wouldn't consider this an option for all bridge pickups - for brighter or thin sounding instruments perhaps. Thoughts?

TM1

In the `50's & `60's Gibson used a 500k Volume & 250k tone on all single pickup guitars. They felt it would make the guitar sound smoother/sweeter. Using a 250k tone pot rolls off some of the highs and takes any harshness out of the guitar when plugged in.

FretsAlot

Plexi70,

I had similar results. I put a Meaner in my CS '09 LP-Jr a few months ago. The guitar came with 400K+ pots. I ordered a 500K+ CTS vol & 250K tone pot from RS Guitarworks, but I didn't pay attention to the details well enough when I placed my order and incorrectly got a smooth shaft tone pot for a tele, not a knurled shaft for an LP - my fault entirely. So I now have a 500K+ CTS vol and the original 400K+ Gibson tone pot in the guitar. I find I typically have the tone pot between 4-5. I will eventually change that pot to the 250K.

Fretsalot/Scott

plexi70

Plexi70,

I had similar results. I put a Meaner in my CS '09 LP-Jr a few months ago. The guitar came with 400K+ pots. I ordered a 500K+ CTS vol & 250K tone pot from RS Guitarworks, but I didn't pay attention to the details well enough when I placed my order and incorrectly got a smooth shaft tone pot for a tele, not a knurled shaft for an LP - my fault entirely. So I now have a 500K+ CTS vol and the original 400K+ Gibson tone pot in the guitar. I find I typically have the tone pot between 4-5. I will eventually change that pot to the 250K.

Fretsalot/Scott

The volume and tone are somewhat interactive with 50s wiring. Definitely recommend using a vintage taper pot for the volume control and regular audio taper for tone control. The vintage taper allows so much more variation between very clean and full gain. I found that a normal audio taper for volume control was clean until 8 and than it jumped quite quickly between 8-9. A vintage taper of 30% is between regular audio taper at 10% and linear taper at 50%. It's important to know that the tone control is only as good as to what the volume control offers. I now get why Bonamassa said that the magic in the old Les Paul's were in the controls - lookup on YouTube "Bonamassa sound like Clapton" - he states that. The recipe they used then really works.

plexi70

In the `50's & `60's Gibson used a 500k Volume & 250k tone on all single pickup guitars. They felt it would make the guitar sound smoother/sweeter. Using a 250k tone pot rolls off some of the highs and takes any harshness out of the guitar when plugged in.

Awesome feedback - thank you. My "auditory observation" jives with what you mentioned as being "smoother/sweeter". Between 500k and 250k tone pots, I notice most of all is that a 250k thickens the overall tone - shifts the high mids out BUT without diminishing the overall tone as I notice when I sweep a tone pot down. Changing the tone pot to 250K does not sound anything like turning 500k half way or ballpark within a sweep. It's still has all the harmonics, definition and clarity. I also would say that it doesn't dull the treble at all. Why Gibson uses modern wiring and cheap pots is a real head scratcher - considering they already perfected it years ago.

GeraintGuitar

OLD thread i know but this is defo somthing to think about if your after that FAT kossoff 59 sound without buying a real 58 or 59