• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2.5 Ohm Speaker Load On A 4 Ohm OT?......................

JeffBlue

I believe I already know the answer, I was hoping to use a 4X6 cab combined with my Vibro Champ speaker.

JeffBlue

After confirming with some brethren from other sites, I have connected my 4X6 cab with the speaker in my Vibro Champ with amazing results.

corpse

I wouldn't do that- you might try an 8 ohm load into a 4 ohm amp but not the other way around. There are tons of stories how incredible an amp sounds just before a transformer pops.

Don

Is the impedance of the cab 2.5 ohms or is that the resistance measured on a DMM?

JeffBlue

Is the impedance of the cab 2.5 ohms or is that the resistance measured on a DMM?

Measured with a DMM, 4X6 speakers, 4 ohms each, wired series-parallel and 10 inch 4 ohm Peavey Scorpion connected parallel (mounted in the Vibro Champ cab) The DMM readings measured with all speakers connected.

Wally

that amp would be happier seeing just one of those 4 ohm loads. These little Fenders are amps in which I don't like to mismatch at all. I actually prefer to match loads to the OT impedance in all cases.

JeffBlue

that amp would be happier seeing just one of those 4 ohm loads. These little Fenders are amps in which I don't like to mismatch at all. I actually prefer to match loads to the OT impedance in all cases.

I am running an NOS 5881 which, I am told, wants to see half of what a 6V6 has for impedance and I am not feeling any heat to the touch on the OT. I replaced the OT with a Mercury Magnetics 55 tweed OT.

montesada

I wouldn't be worried. 2.5 on a DMM, the speaker array would be more like 3.1 in reality. Close enough.

Wally

Jeff, Paul at MM is very helpful with technical questions, ime. I think your amp will be fine at that impedance. Maybe one would worry more at double that load????
Fwiw, the OT is not where heat will show up. PT's are the ones that exhibit heat when current draw is too high.

JeffBlue

Jeff, Paul at MM is very helpful with technical questions, ime. I think your amp will be fine at that impedance. Maybe one would worry more at double that load????
Fwiw, the OT is not where heat will show up. PT's are the ones that exhibit heat when current draw is too high.

Thanks, you are right. i'll check for excessive heat from the PT.

PaulD

The DC resistance measured with a DMM is fairly meaningless, it does not tell you what the impedance load is. If your cabinet has 4 x 4 ohm speakers wired series / parallel then it is a 4 ohm cabinet, if that is then connected in parallel to the internal 4 ohm speaker you have a 2 ohm total load.

PaulD

A bit more info: I just re-read the thread and see that you are using a 5881 in place of the 6V6, as you correctly say this valve (I am British so it is definitely a valve and not a tube! :) ) likes to see a lower impedance than the 6V6 so running a lower speaker impedance should be no problem. My main concern would be that your transformers can handle the extra current requirements of the 5881, in particular the heater current. The 5881 will pull twice the heater current of the 6V6, 0.9A as opposed to 0.45A for the 6V6, you need to be sure that your PT can safely supply this.

I wouldn't do that- you might try an 8 ohm load into a 4 ohm amp but not the other way around. There are tons of stories how incredible an amp sounds just before a transformer pops.

This is actually incorrect for a valve amp, if you are going to run an impedance miss-match it is safer to run with a lower impedance than a higher one (the reverse is true for solid state amps)

JeffBlue

Hi all. Thank you for your replies and info. I decided to relinquish the 4X6 cab because the power transformer is running quite warm to the touch while I'm running my air conditioner. I'd hate to feel how warm to the touch without the air running. The VC still sounds beautiful with just the 10 inch speaker I installed.

Wally

Hi all. Thank you for your replies and info. I decided to relinquish the 4X6 cab because the power transformer is running quite warm to the touch while I'm running my air conditioner. I'd hate to feel how warm to the touch without the air running. The VC still sounds beautiful with just the 10 inch speaker I installed.

PaulD made a good observation in his post that preceded this last post of yours. That heat is likely to be caused by the excess current draw of the 6L6 rather than the speaker load. That 6L6 is demanding a lot of that little PT.....it doesn't matter if the load is 2.6ohms or 3.2 ohms.

JeffBlue

PaulD made a good observation in his post that preceded this last post of yours. That heat is likely to be caused by the excess current draw of the 6L6 rather than the speaker load. That 6L6 is demanding a lot of that little PT.....it doesn't matter if the load is 2.6ohms or 3.2 ohms.

I'm thinking it might be time to switch back to the 6V6 and add the 4X6 cab again. Thanks Wally and Paul.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
CHamps/Vibrochamps, in general, have a weak OT and do badly if it's stressed. A lower impedance isn't a stress to the OT but a higher one is. Every tech I've talked to about it has a story of a Champ that's died running into an 8 ohm speaker load. It would be VERY unusual for an OT to get warm, the problem is in momentary voltages (flyback voltage) burning thru the insulation of the wires and eventually shorting it out. They flyback voltage can also cause arcing in the circuit, but that's not likely at the voltages that Champs run. A too low speaker impedance runs the tubes out of their sweet spot and they can wear earlier but rarely take out the amp catastrophically.

If you're feeling warmth, it's probably the power transformer. And THAT may not tolerate the 5881. But it'll be fine with the wrong speaker load, it's not a stress on the PT in any way.

JeffBlue

CHamps/Vibrochamps, in general, have a weak OT and do badly if it's stressed. A lower impedance isn't a stress to the OT but a higher one is. Every tech I've talked to about it has a story of a Champ that's died running into an 8 ohm speaker load. It would be VERY unusual for an OT to get warm, the problem is in momentary voltages (flyback voltage) burning thru the insulation of the wires and eventually shorting it out. They flyback voltage can also cause arcing in the circuit, but that's not likely at the voltages that Champs run. A too low speaker impedance runs the tubes out of their sweet spot and they can wear earlier but rarely take out the amp catastrophically.

If you're feeling warmth, it's probably the power transformer. And THAT may not tolerate the 5881. But it'll be fine with the wrong speaker load, it's not a stress on the PT in any way.

I have decided to run the 5881 and the 4X6 cab (with the 10 inch speaker). After running the amp at any length of time, the PT isn't actually hot......I think I was just overly cautious. The amp sounds and functions beautifully and I am not having any issues. Thank you all for your input. If there ever is an issue with my set up, I'll definitely inform you.