• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Lots 'o money

Vince Q

I have a black '81 LP. Love it, but it's going to need a refret (I want to keep the nubs) AND get it refinished to wine red. I know the fret job is going to be upwards of $600.

How much is refin nowadays, and whom would you recommend to do the work?

Zentar

I have a black '81 LP. Love it, but it's going to need a refret (I want to keep the nubs) AND get it refinished to wine red. I know the fret job is going to be upwards of $600.

How much is refin nowadays, and whom would you recommend to do the work?

You're in Michigan? I'd get somebody in your state within 100 miles to do it. Just google luthiers in your area. Try an authorized Gibson shop, $600 seems high. Talk to a luthier in person.https://www.service-center-locator.com/gibson/gibson-service-center.htm

Last edited:

Big Al

The nibs will be a problem if you use anything other than the narrow low original frets. Modern frets are taller and wider than the nib. No nib is worth having those lame frets, IMO, as I detest them and always regret with 6100 style jumbos for playability.

Disregard****

I was thinking Les Paul Custom.

Last edited:

Triplet

Remember it's probably black for a reason. The two black lps I've refinnished were very plain.

Vince Q

Remember it's probably black for a reason. The two black lps I've refinnished were very plain.

Yeah. I figure Gibson (or Fender for that matter) would use the least attractive pieces of wood for opaque-colored guitars.

Heard of a fellow named Bruce Vanderschel who reportedly does nice work. I'll report back after I contact him and hear what he has to say.

jrgtr42

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}</style>dude, 600 bucks is really not enough for this. it costs a lot more. here you need the help of a financial adviser.

The original post was from 3 years ago. I think the job is probably done by now...

charliechitlins

Sounds like a waste of good money to me.
Why not just buy a guitar you like and stop trying to make that one something it isnt?
Keeping the nibs?
That's like gluing those little whisker like pieces of rubber onto tires to make them like new.
Nibs serve no actual purpose and get sanded off during a fret job.