• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thoughts on this Juniorhttps://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=electrics

JB83

I'm considering the 1954 Junior on Marks Guitar Loft (link below). It's obviously had a pretty nast break at the neck joint and the bridge post route repairs, but is original. I've called Mark and the owner is not interested in budging on the price. Is $3,500 too high for this guitar? Thoughts?

https://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=electrics

AA00475Bassman

IMO with all the repairs you should look for something not repaired . I also consider trying to sell the guitar later , finding somone that sees value in paying 3500.00 for this guitar might take a long time .

JB83

IMO with all the repairs you should look for something not repaired . I also consider trying to sell the guitar later , finding somone that sees value in paying 3500.00 for this guitar might take a long time .

True-it may be wiser to spend a couple thousand more on a cleaner example.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Maxmc

I'm considering the 1954 Junior on Marks Guitar Loft (link below). It's obviously had a pretty nast break at the neck joint and the bridge post route repairs, but is original. I've called Mark and the owner is not interested in budging on the price. Is $3,500 too high for this guitar? Thoughts?

https://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=electrics
Step away from the loft, step away from the loft.

marshall1987

There are plenty of '50s Juniors without issues for very reasonable prices, say $4k - $5K. It's a buyer's market for Juniors.

The Junior you're thinking about must have been dropped on the floor, or slipped off it's strap buttons, in order to sustain the break at the neck joint, and the large chip on tip of the horn.

I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for that guitar, and that's assuming it plays well and sounds great.

Last edited:

gakees

I think it would be easier to try to find out what the guitar would be worth if it didn't have those repairs then decide for yourself if the difference in price is reasonable.

I think it would be easier to try to find out what the guitar would be worth if it didn't have those repairs then decide for yourself if the difference in price is reasonable.
I have been watching the market on Juniors. IMHO that guitar, as described with a nasty break, is worth about $2,500.00 maybe less. The days of a broken neck, refin going for $3,500.00 are long gone. By way of example 2 years ago I drove from NY to Washington DC to purchase a 1957 LP Jr. Before I drove down I asked the seller specific questions about the condition of the guitar. The seller, named Hamid, promised me it was great condition but had been refinished natural. The price he was asking was $2,000.00. I drove 5 hours and we met at a mall in Arlington. Hamid was a pleasant gentleman of about 55. He told me that he had owned the guitar since the 60's?! When I opened the case I almost passed out from the fumes. Apparently, at some point, someone had refinished the guitar...in deck stain! The smell was overwhelming. Hamid then informed me that the "perhaps the pickup (which was not even installed on the guitar) is broken" and "oh yes the there is small (1/4 of inch crack filled with wood putty) break in the neck". I mentioned my dismay and disappointment with him for misrepresenting the condition of the guitar when we spoke on the phone. He then told me something I will never forget. In a matter of fact manner he stated, "I am trying to sell the guitar I cannot tell you everything". Which educated me that some people, when engaged in a business deal, could give a hoot in hell if they are caught lying. Regardless, I offered him $700.00. He declined and I drove home. Later for some strange reason he called me to tell he had sold the guitar for $800.00. I congratulated him and thanked him for wasting my time. It's kind of a cautionary tale.

Maxmc

Why? Bad experience?
No, but what I'm trying to say is if you're going to spend your hard earned cash on a vintage instrument, buying one with issues is probably not a good start. Hold off, save a bit more and get one that's in good shape.