• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tuning up 1/2 step?

billrow

At the risk of making a short story long, I'll explain my situation. I am playing in a duo with a horn player (clarinet/alto sax), using an Epiphone Dot. I have arrangements of several tunes (pop ballads, old standards, light jazz) that I have been playing for many years, many of them in "guitar" keys, such as E, A or D, in order to take advantage of open bass strings. The horn player is good, but he struggles with playing and improvising in some of those keys, as he ends up with lots of sharps in his transposed key. I have been using capo on first fret for those songs, which puts us in a good key for him. But then I struggle with remembering to move everything up a fret, for songs I have been playing the other way for ten years or more!

I also have a 68 Les Paul, that I have used for years in rock bands. I have recently retired from what I'm pretty sure is my last rock band, so that guitar isn't being used much. I am thinking of tuning the Paul up a half step, so I can play my arrangements as I always have, he ends up playing in D, G, C, and F, instead of C#, F#, B, and E, and everyone is happy! But still use the Epiphone for songs where it isn't a concern. I have 10s on my Paul now, and wonder if keeping it tuned up somewhat permanently could do any damage? Not worried much about bending strings for this type of music. I could always change string gauge if stress on the neck might be a concern.

Thanks for any advice!

rick c

I doubt that tuning up will damage the guitar, but I guess this may depend on how heavy the rest of your strings are and how cranked your truss rod is. You may find that playing is a little harder with the extra tension and you may need to tweak the truss rod if the rest of your strings are on the heavy side. I would suggest changing to a lighter string gauge set, maybe a 9 to 42, tune up and see how it feels.

I play along to TV/records/CDs/radio all the time and am forever tuning up and down 1/2 notes or more to tune-in but I use 8 to 38, Extra Slinky, so I never feel a big difference in playability and my guitar (87 Les Paul Custom) never complains.

Mars Hall

I don't believe it would cause any damage. After all plenty of players use alternate tunings that create more tension on necks without failures. If it feels a little stiff for solos, you can try a lighter string gauge or possibly top wrapping.

sonar

First, welcome! :salude

I think dropping down to a lighter gauge string set is a good idea.

Not sure how this would effect intonation?

corpse

This might sound odd, but detuning to E flat and capoing at the second fret might make for an easier transition for you. Try it and see.