• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burst of the Month, July 2017 8-6787 Montrose

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
This month I am featuring the 1958 Montrose Burst, 8-6787, with an interesting grain swirl on the top.
This is sometimes called the STP Burst [see the dark, oval "shadow" beside the fingerboard, which is said to be from an old STP sticker], and that name was used when it was copied as a Collector's Choice model by the Gibson Custom Shop.

DSCN7413.JPG

The swirl grain in detail:

DSCN7417.JPG

DSCN7419.JPG

I often forget to photo the back of Bursts, and it is nice to have this photo to add:

DSCN7426.JPG

Ronnie made it sing! And it's still getting played, although maybe not on a pro level.

:salude

Fried okra

This is a great looking burst. Not too over the top, but beautiful. Ronnie knew his way around the fingerboard that's for sure. :yah Is it still owned by a German?

marshall1987

Ronnie's former Les Paul is a killer vintage Burst. I had the pleasure of experiencing this guitar first-hand from about six feet away in the summer of 1972 when the Edgar Winter Band played in the cafeteria at Hayfield High School. GA tickets were probably around $2.00, maybe $3.00. There was no warmup band. This was the summer that Frankenstein was played on the radio. The band was set up on one of those 2-foot tall, folding, accordion type portable stages that all the high schools had.

I was directly in front of Ronnie and could have reached out and touched that guitar had I wanted to. Ronnie plugged straight in to his Marshall via a single wah-wah peddle on the floor. They were one hot band that summer. I especially liked Dan Hartman on bass and guitar. Dan sang on Free Ride and played a Strat. He was a very versatile musician.

My experience with Ronnie's cranked Marshall Super Lead was not so memorable! My ears rang for days. :dang But a fine vintage Les Paul in the hands of a very gifted player.

FWIW, I don't recall seeing any stickers on Ronnie's Les Paul in 1972.

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
This is a great looking burst. Not too over the top, but beautiful. Ronnie knew his way around the fingerboard that's for sure. :yah Is it still owned by a German?

Last I heard it was still in Germany. :)

I took those photos several years ago in Germany.