• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Custombucker "s"?

britmusic

renderit

Gibson has been using custombuckers for years (since 2012 or 13 I believe).
Good pickups.
Variable resistance (but in the accepted range of many PAFS), potted, A2's I believe.
I have many many of them and find them excellent.

Dreman

Which A3 magnet can I swap into my Burstbuckers 1 & 2 to get closest / have the best results?

ReubenAxsentieff

You could try Roughcast A3s, maybe even demag them a touch,that’s what was in mine..

Custombuckers have a low TPL compared to Burstbuckers so they will sound a little different but the A3 should be a step in the right direction.

Also if you want more “NUTS” from a set of Custombuckers try fitting some roughcast A4s... it will change a set of “scooped mid” sounding Custombuckers into Midrange Monsters!! They will still keep nice definition though just more mid and low mids and less ice pick attack...

Let your ears decide!

Big Al

I like the sets that came on my 2013 R9 & R8. I find them to be articulate with great definition and clarity. Though reportibly underwound/underpowered I find them to be well matched to my vintage guitars and pickups.

Switching between 50's Jrs, Strats, Tele's, p90 Goldtops etc., straight into various vintage 6V6 and 6L6 cathode biased low or no negative feedback, looser 50's/early 60's smaller low wattage combo's and tighter more powerful, non master, push/pull AB fixed biased tweed and blackface 6L6 higher wattage amps proved to be as simple as plug and play.

No overpowering preamp unpleasantness and swtching from a Tele to Les Paul didn't mean I had to fiddle with the controls to quell the squashing or unwanted preamp saturation. No out of balance volume jump either. Yes, the Custombucker was a tad bit louder with that sense of power with clarity but it fit in better, playing well with others and as one who likes to use multiple types of guitars for tonal variety, having a true vintage voiced humbucker guitar that easily interfaces within my tone chain is a plus.

They also work just fine with my high gain master volume amps. I like them very much. I don't think of them as low gain or low input but rather as NOT overwound/overpowered/high gain. I like them very much.

corpse

I like mine too. Like Big Al says so much depends on what it gets plugged into. My old Fender’s really dig em.