• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

* Good as it Gets? Rusty Anderson Pilot Run Gibson Memphis ES-335 *

sgt_steiner

Hello my fellow Gibson lovers -- Now that Henry at Gibson has fired the incredible team of Rick Gembar, Pat Foley and Edwin Wilson, it appears the "Second Golden Age of Gibson" has come to an abrupt close.

The guitars they crafted and managed to push through between 2014 and 2017 will become harder to find moving forward as Henry is a known vintage spec/historically accurate hater who plans on rolling back these advances and going cheaper. Moving forward, rumors are that Henry's considering making the vintage/Historic-type reissues a "Custom Build" only purchase -- essentially a Gibson rip-off of Paul Reed Smith's Private Stock program. Of course, this will allow him to charge more, as a 30% uptick is expected in Custom Build prices.

None of this is confirmed as official yet -- so please don't bother flaming the bejesus out of me and beheading the messenger -- but if it does happen, it will all become public by NAMM next year.

(You can read more about Henry cleaning house at Gibson on lespaulforum.)

Which brings me to this outstanding Rusty Anderson Pilot Run ES-335, signed, hand-selected woods, etc. and one of only twenty-five made.

RA1550_zpsnbkgpfvz.jpg

Already owning a Warren Haynes 335 (which is my favorite newer Gibson production model ever) and believing the 2014-2017 Memphis builds will remain better quality than the next wave of whatever the old man cooks up, I boldly stepped forward to grab the WH's sister guitar -- the Rusty Anderson 335.

Reviews everywhere are pretty much 100% positive about these gems, and I talked to a bunch of RA owners via PM to get their takes as well. I got nothing but the green-light from ALL of them. And when she arrived, everything they shared with me was more than confirmed. This is as fine a newer Gibson as I've ever played.

RA106_zpsfzjrf9gb.jpg

RA107_zpsqvseet25.jpg

The build quality is absurdly good, amazing really. Played acoustically, the instrument resonates like the best of semi-hollows, and the finish and craftsmanship are literally eye-popping. The neck is a legit vintage '59 profile -- not some behemoth R9-style baseball-bat abomination. How do I know? I own a vintage '59 345 and side by side they are uncannily similar. I heard that Rusty insisted on this profile for his signature run, and I thank God he did. I don't even LIKE bigger necks, but I find this one both workable and comfortable.

The MHS pickups are good, if not completely mind-blowing. But as gripes go, that's a pretty high-class problem to have. There are so many fantastic winders these days, that finding the perfect fit for this guitar is almost half the fun. Currently considering Ron Ellis LRP's or a set of Rolph '59's, either of which I expect to put this beauty way over the top.

RA109_zpscmtdpn3r.jpg

RA104_zpsagu48lz1.jpg

Hey, end of the day, I may turn out to be very wrong, but I firmly believe the 2014-2017 Gibson Memphis stuff will begin going up in price after the 2018's and beyond come out. Hell, it may take five years, but the word will get out (it always does) and these wonderful "Second Golden Age" guitars will become increasingly sought-after -- especially if Henry goes for a Custom Build program.

Know the crazy thing? The Warren Haynes and Rusty Anderson's are ridiculously underpriced in today's glacial market. For somewhere between $3K and $3500 you can grab a fantastic model of either one.

Anyway, you heard it here first :) If you're on the fence about one of the these guitars, seriously consider pulling the trigger. I've played four of them and currently own two and I'm not sure I've enjoyed any new guitar purchase more. Truly outstanding guitars from a fantastic -- if far too short -- Memphis run.

BIG SHOUT OUT to my buddy Tokyo Nick (Nikku) for making this happen. Cheers my friend!

Rusty%20Anderson%20Haynes_zpsxzb2kfm4.png

Last edited:

Pellman73

Great score SGT!

I keep getting to the end of my list of GAS guitars and then... another.

so glad I followed your lead on the WH. its absolutely killer

add the RA to it.

damn!

sgt_steiner

Dropped a set of Tom Holmes under the hood and now the Rusty's totally in the kill zone. They obliterate the stock MHS pups IMHO. Perfect match :)

2BQEInl.jpg

arCMFgO.jpg

Pellman73

Dropped a set of Tom Holmes under the hood and now the Rusty's totally in the kill zone. They obliterate the stock MHS pups IMHO. Perfect match :)

2BQEInl.jpg

arCMFgO.jpg

well I"ll be honest ever since I got my Wizzers in my CC 15 I've thought of dropping them in my rusty AND my warren-

but I thought rusty had Custombuckers-- not MHS... not that it matters. probably close. and if what you have is better than ... better is better

MAN you have a killer top

that thing you have under the neck is cool-- what is that?

these guitars kick so much ass.

me and you brother-- the RAWH club (thats Rusty Anderson Warren Haynes 335 club.... I just made that up. I think its good!)

Dothedew

Could you post a shot of the fretboard? The lower portion of the board looks crazy good in that photo:XRE

Progrocker111

but I thought rusty had Custombuckers-- not MHS... not that it matters. probably close. and if what you have is better than ... better is better

Yes, these have Custombuckers, not MHS. I have only played one and it was one of the best (perhaps even best) new production ES335s i have ever played. Great resonance, articulation and everything...

Its truly a pity for me, that my former 3 Memphis ES335s i owned were not in the same ballpark, both tonewise and constructionwise. :hmm

sgt_steiner

@dothedew -- Here you go, best I have on hand. Some really stunning hand-selected rosewood :)

xNoWFYW.jpg

Pellman73

Yes, these have Custombuckers, not MHS. I have only played one and it was one of the best (perhaps even best) new production ES335s i have ever played. Great resonance, articulation and everything...

Its truly a pity for me, that my former 3 Memphis ES335s i owned were not in the same ballpark, both tonewise and constructionwise. :hmm

Have you had a chance to play one of the warren Haynes ones ? Really great too

but I love that you thought it was that good!

Progrocker111

Have you had a chance to play one of the warren Haynes ones ? Really great too

but I love that you thought it was that good!

No experience with Warren Haynes. In fact i preferred the RA over 67 ES345 during one comparative session.

Here are some clips, played on my cranked 72 Hiwatt DR103. First one is RA second one 67 ES345. RA was brighter and overall more lively guitar. 67 ES345 has more honky nasal mids and overall a bit more archtop tone.

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/2014-gibson-rusty-anderson-es335-hiwatt-dr103

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/1967-gibson-es345-hiwatt-dr103

geddy402

Really nice guitar! I agree that the 2014-2017 era will be considered a highlight in the Gibson history. I own a 2014/15 blonde 335 and it kills. Super resonate and a great natural tone. I did a similar thing with the pickups, the MHS are ok but the Rewinds I put in really work with it. Have fun and thanks for sharing!

renderit

No experience with Warren Haynes. In fact i preferred the RA over 67 ES345 during one comparative session.

Here are some clips, played on my cranked 72 Hiwatt DR103. First one is RA second one 67 ES345. RA was brighter and overall more lively guitar. 67 ES345 has more honky nasal mids and overall a bit more archtop tone.

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/2014-gibson-rusty-anderson-es335-hiwatt-dr103

I like the 345.

Pellman73

Nice! I really dug both of those. I like both the playing and the badass tone from that amp. What was the riff at the end of the 335 clip?

Progrocker111

What was the riff at the end of the 335 clip?

I really dont remember :), actually that was played by my friend. We tested really many guitars that day.

A bit offtopic, but if you are interested for comparison, here is 07 57 Les Paul Custom reissue:

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/gibson-les-paul-custom-57-ri-part1-hiwatt
https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/2007-gibson-les-paul-custom-57-ri-hiwatt-dr103

And here is 1973 Les Paul Deluxe with original minihumbuckers:

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/lpdeluxe

renderit

Wild conjecture on the future there Mr. Sgt. Really off the wall wacko heretic stuff. That I happen to agree with. Beautiful guitar. I wish I had gotten one. Play the boogers outta it!