• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Shipping ledgers meaning?

rifle

Hi

According to Gibson, is says “ SG Cust. Sp. 11-7-68” about one of my guitars in the shipping ledgers, what can the "Sp" stand for?

britbender

"special order" ?
Hoping some one knows, its such a cool guitar.
I'm curious too...

rifle

A Picture to make it more interesting :peace2

1968 serial nr, potcodes from -65, pre t-tops from ca-65, bought in this condition in a Music store in new york ca 1972-74 by previous owner.

file.php

corpse

SG with a bigsby might qualify as a special order- just a guess.

Arch D. Bunker

Sp would stand for special order, or indicate non-standard specifications - foremost because of the black finish on you SG Custom (standard finish for was white or sunburst at the time IIRC), plus the Bigsby. Very cool guitar. :dude:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hi

According to Gibson, is says “ SG Cust. Sp. 11-7-68” about one of my guitars in the shipping ledgers, what can the "Sp" stand for?

What did Gibson say was the meaning of the "Sp."?

Kris Ford

Sp would stand for special order, or indicate non-standard specifications - foremost because of the black finish on you SG Custom (standard finish for was white or sunburst at the time IIRC), plus the Bigsby. Very cool guitar. :dude:

Arch, for '68 just white. I only know of one sunburst SG Custom, Eric E has/had it.

Walnut replaced white in early/mid '69.

I wonder if the Custom Made plaque is hiding the Lyre holes and if it could at all be a refin?

renderit

Spain. Probably sent it to Spain. Or Spelling. Maybe spelling. Probably. Or he had Sweet Potato Fries for lunch! Or wanted them anyways. I find myself scrivening RPBC all the time. I don't know why.

Kris Ford

My bad - I meant brown, not sunburst. Pretty sure there are some brown '68 customs around.

Could be! But I have always heard that was wishful thinking on the owners part..that it's really a '69, trying to get '68 money for it. OR..it was a '69 model that was available in late '68..who knows! First mention of Walnut in Gibson literature is Sep of '69.:hmm

At any rate..missing I dot= '69..that'd be my "tell".