• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - USA Firebird. It has wings and followed me home, what was I supposed to do?

ewhip17

First firebird I've owned and only the second one I've played. First one was a Pelham Blue version that looked great but didn't play or sound as nice as this one. Fun guitar. Slightly awkward but once I've been on it for a few minutes it sorts itself out. Unique sound and feel. The case is enormous though... sheesh...

J T

Yeah birds are cool guitars. I have one. Nice sound that you just can't get anywhere else. You have to get used to that long head stock reaching way out into space. Careful swinging around. :) It has monster tuners in back for some reason.

That case is as big as a bass case.

But once I start playing that guitar, it just sings. Neck feels great. Way down neck fret access.

You will get comments from people. "Cool guitar", "Awesome".:jim

Congrats!:salude

ewhip17

Thanks guys. Seriously, what a cool guitar. It has a really unique sound. It doesn't sound like anything I've ever played. I had the usual thought, you know: "hmmmm, wonder if I should change the pickups...." and quickly dismissed that. It's so unique the way it is that I don't want to mess it up. It kind of sits between my LPs and Teles. I had it cranked up through a Fender Deluxe Reverb and the Friedman PT-20 yesterday and it was putting a big smile on my face. That's what counts.

Grog

That case is as big as a bass case.

!:salude

I just happened to have posted this photo on another board last week. The (4) rectangular cases, left to right; Gibson EB 5 string bass, Gibson EB 4 string bass, Gibson Firebird & Gibson Thunderbird bass. The Firebird case is a bit thicker, but identical to the EB Bass cases in length.

rockabilly69

Great score! I love Firebirds! If you get sick of lugging that ridiculously heavy Firebird case. Buy a MONO vertigo soft case for basses they fit Firebirds great and not only protect the guitar good they protect the car you carry it around in! Doug Kauer who builds killer Firebird style guitars called Banshees hipped me to this!

ewhip17

Ha yeah, the case is insane. I didn't even realize how big it is until I got it home and set it next to the other "regular" cases. I can see why they tried to sell it with just a gig bag in the past.

I'm really liking the neck though, which is kind of odd because generally I prefer larger necks. I definitely wouldn't call this one beefy, but the thing I'm finding with Gibson's thin necks is that they still have some shoulder, which makes them really playable for me. That's what makes online neck measurements such a challenge sometimes - they really don't give an accurate representation of the shape.

rockabilly69

Ha yeah, the case is insane. I didn't even realize how big it is until I got it home and set it next to the other "regular" cases. I can see why they tried to sell it with just a gig bag in the past.

I'm really liking the neck though, which is kind of odd because generally I prefer larger necks. I definitely wouldn't call this one beefy, but the thing I'm finding with Gibson's thin necks is that they still have some shoulder, which makes them really playable for me. That's what makes online neck measurements such a challenge sometimes - they really don't give an accurate representation of the shape.
I like the neck shape too!

wmachine

Nice! FBs are sooo cool! A must for a Gibson collection. My 2015 FB V comes in the gold Anniversary case. That case is a good 10 inches longer than the LP gold cases. Virtually the same size case used for the Dean Razorbacks.

inmhtEY3LCkXj1y3OU45RR5D66VqowicWtmhGOJxfKjASGbpUZYjAIEafBxDwJt-my7SmSJRBnrys3h3ClWWlbu8C49cHn8NBlVm-mSAhtK2Xx7_X4yTbI9u4Odt5wq7kUXRDA6z8DAaLMl499HGbStGG5Yz86lwUkFLCp8FXibJX7lQoOPAsje-boOqvKi4L-OkeUt04wpWjItCrHobIuOL7iiDtAHoBnPYIUf7aZrSFsTJXYkYuXBLXThUCSfNR02edpkb1M7NBfCde8rp_ddsifUbumTMxFZvQN73ObrFlhr987TPbrex7zYVSpDrC_QIXhUgk-OOmkCrRwZDE8L1UuDp_q1q8ND_SyjjXrjFARBqC7cd3709h5gZPmoL6kqer15VvJmU79LFdgdxhn_Cv-biJCgRZdCz8d5y6B3uyKpu_nFHC1gkmltgmMw49L0lMyWijXWPhbvsqTt_vmELPXcJ9APIMXpuT7ejeLtZApmmNYMa3F030p7zYze-R5ErkLoNM2K_8w7xuUPM5FEfHLlw8HRhenzJeTBJ0MRZs0sp2TEYlXohOonc7nhRgZeb7ZNB-Y9jcPNHD84GXUs920E3Qo-UuTh3fIR4GyKwb7F_16RcIZsWeU1n1EBIRg-lHMIwFbmkz7q9Ca3C0Lai9wcsmUfidChGNnJ49aSJsfPf4wGgAOwNjQDyryjiCVWEEdkv6bFqLJBgyP3F8Pz1RdJgDxN5yBdVcw=w1607-h903-no

TM1

Does your Bird have the way too hot mini's? They run 12K and 15K.. with ceramic magnets. No way to get a vintage sound out of it...
I have a 2003 FB VII with 3 old Gibson/Silvertone mini's with offset poles. They run about 5.7k each. Very clear, op[en and warm sounding pickups!

AA00475Bassman

Does your Bird have the way too hot mini's? They run 12K and 15K.. with ceramic magnets. No way to get a vintage sound out of it...
I have a 2003 FB VII with 3 old Gibson/Silvertone mini's with offset poles. They run about 5.7k each. Very clear, op[en and warm sounding pickups!

I have not touched my Historic Firebird III the pickups are not what I would call hot , my other Historic Firebirds have alnico's & some have Ceramic & Alnico . I would be very surprised if you will ever obtain good tone with a Firebird VII .

Triplet

I ended up putting a pair of early '70s mini hums in my VII. Rewired for 1 & 3 pups only. Really woody and sweet sounding.

Triplet

Nope. Chopped the arm and kept the rest. Just like a Dereck Trucks SG (but 10 years before his was done that way).:peace2

D'oh, forgot to mention it was made into a stoptail by prev owner. Worth the effort if you're up to it.