• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fender Strat Black Light - Dark Spot/Edge

pavcny

Hi guys,

I just bought a fairly mint 1994 Fender Start '57 Reissue. Photos in the attached link. Guitar looks and feels great. Because of the mint condition the guy was selling it in, I wanted to make sure all was ok so I checked it under a black light. The end of one "horn" has a black smudge on it and the top edge (oriented when playing) has a darker line on it. I tried my best to capture that in the photos.

I have a Gibson that has been fixed up in multiple places so I can tell when something was actually repaired under the black light. This doesn't seem like a repair type of mark. It's in the black finish area and you can't see anything under regular light. Can't feel anything if you run your finger over it.

Is it possible that the finish is thinner in those areas and shows up darker, or just an inconsistent finish? I plan on taking off the neck and pick guard later today to confirm dates and will try to update the photos once that's done. Thanks in advance!

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/mrvadimcherkasov/library/1994 Fender Strat 57 Reissue

sws1

Looks like maybe it's strap wear, subtly rubbing away some of the finish.

pavcny

Just to clarify, the bright spot is the flashlight. The dark spot on the "horn" is more on the bottom edge slightly away from where the strap would be. I guess it's possible that part of the strap still rubbed against it. Guitar is in almost unplayed condition, no buckle rash. Not sure how much rubbing it would take to wear down the finish like that.

S. Cane

To me it’s definitely some finish wear. You’d notice most repair scars in such sunburst finish

hogy

Buffed through the clear coat. Possibly at the factory.

RnB

Don't know about the black-lighting, but I once had a SB '94 RI a long time ago. Really liked that guitar. Sounded good to my ears. Only...I couldn't stand those 'vintage frets'. Had I known then, what I know now, I would've re-fretted it. Ended-up selling it at a guitar show to a chap from the UK. At the time he said; these RI's are hard to find in England. Eventually, I found a 40th Anniv Ltd Ed (#741/1994) that was lightweight & an even better player (luved the U-shaped neck). It got away from me also. The only guitar I wish I still had. :dang

y5EOeQw.jpg

Last edited: