• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Alan Wilson Goldtop today.

chasenblues

And in the text:
"It is also possible that the neck was changed at some early stage of the live of the guitar."

Having done a little poking around its seems the guitar has had a hard life bumping around from different people.

Looks like the front veneer may have been replaced after AW passed..In some pics you can just make out what appear to 2 cracks/lines that would be covered by that tape in the top pic.

full.jpg
sam_3864.jpg

StudioFan

Very cool .

About the Mahogany strips...those Schaller tuners have a slightly longer post so the break angle will be less over the Nut. I have taken these off an SG I own for this reason ....and because of the screw location .
Maybe the strips are there to compensate for these issues ?

sws1

The logo certainly has changed over it's life.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Not that it matters, but those wood strips under the keys look rosewood to me. :hmm

Probably Brazilian, so they must add tone. :ganz

MapleFlame

Well based on the newer headstock, looks 70's to me. Heel, binding etc... Cool guitar with great provenance

Blue Blood

Necro thread apologies...
Doesn't a musician in Europe own Wilson's GT now ?
Mass native myself, like Alan.
TY

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Necro thread apologies...
Doesn't a musician in Europe own Wilson's GT now ?
Mass native myself, like Alan.
TY

A collector in Europe has it. The first post shows a photo I took shortly before I posted that. :)

Texas Blues

Is this that guitar back then?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZIBNtsLeTD8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Hamerfan

If thats the Woodstock guitar, then it is in a pretty bad shape! I mean not the blisters and splinters on the top, but the later on 'improvements' are a shame and devalue the whole guitar. Bringing it back to the Woodstock shape, would make it icon guitar.

Johngonefishin

Very cool .

About the Mahogany strips...those Schaller tuners have a slightly longer post so the break angle will be less over the Nut. I have taken these off an SG I own for this reason ....and because of the screw location .
Maybe the strips are there to compensate for these issues ?
Agreed, Schallers work well mechanically, but not sonically, I had a guitar shop in the 70's-80's, and people would put Schallers on their Fender often, and then wonder why their Stratocaster sounded like a banjo.........Duh !