• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A ride in a Carr

renderit

Nonus Sanctum Irrevocabliss

27781230029_0bb4134134.jpg

Pellman73

Nonus Sanctum Irrevocabliss

27781230029_0bb4134134.jpg

awesome! I love it. I did not even think about the fact that is gold and black... :hank

its pretty amazing isn't it? the aesthetics and build quality, the intuitive interactive nature of the gainy knobs and switches, and even the atteunator.

I think its such a winner

renderit

A month and a half later I am still liking the flexibility of this amp. It is not my favorite SOUNDING amp but I LIKE THE SOUND. Hopefully you can appreciate the nuance. Well worth the money and for a gigger for sure.

I still like my DS mini as well just so you know. My favorite SOUND is still the octal At Mars then the Clark Piedmont. But THIS Carr Mercury V is awesomely adaptable and coming up my scale as it wears in.

LPBlues

gP7BxaX.png

It finally arrived. I haven’t had a lot of time with her so I’m going to be conservative in my comments but I did take it to band practice last night and it was good. Even clean I could hang with the other 4 guys. I think I could gig with it but not 100% sure yet. A few things I’ve noticed so far:
1) there are a lot of tonal options
2) it cuts through band noise in an amazing way without needing volume
3) the low end is ample and crisp

I’m looking at an Unleash or Power Station to get louder if needed for gigs since the speaker is rated for 65 Watts. I really like my Z-Lux but will be spending time trying to get some of the clear/clean tones I like from the V in the Z. So far I haven’t had a bad sound out of it, they’ve all been great actually.

Last edited:

Pellman73

gP7BxaX.png

It finally arrived. I haven’t had a lot of time with her so I’m going to be conservative in my comments but I did take it to band practice last night and it was good. Even clean I could hang with the other 4 guys. I think I could gig with it but not 100% sure yet. A few things I’ve noticed so far:

I’m looking at an Unleash or Power Station to get louder if needed for gigs since the speaker is rated for 65 Watts. I really like my Z-Lux but will be spending time trying to get some of the clear/clean tones I like from the V in the Z. So far I haven’t had a bad sound out of it, they’ve all been great actually.

MMMMM HMMMM! Tasty cab! I love it

I like your buddha too.

welcome to the club

you guys must play loud! that thing is LOUD

especially jumpered

have you guys noticed a hum? I think its my house but another guy who got one was concerned about it.

I don't care much as when you play its gone but particularly for the higher gain stuff.. I just thought, quite honestly, it came w the high gain tube territory.

Pellman73

A month and a half later I am still liking the flexibility of this amp. It is not my favorite SOUNDING amp but I LIKE THE SOUND. Hopefully you can appreciate the nuance. Well worth the money and for a gigger for sure.

I still like my DS mini as well just so you know. My favorite SOUND is still the octal At Mars then the Clark Piedmont. But THIS Carr Mercury V is awesomely adaptable and coming up my scale as it wears in.

right on

let also praise the aesthetics, don't you think? I think the look, fit and finish is just very cool

T.Allen

That's a beauty! I love the colors. I went with basic black, but they sound great.

T.Allen

...have you guys noticed a hum? I think its my house but another guy who got one was concerned about it.

I don't care much as when you play its gone but particularly for the higher gain stuff.. I just thought, quite honestly, it came w the high gain tube territory.

I bought mine used. The seller of one of them told me it had a hum, so he sent it back to Carr. It has no hum now. My other one has no hum.

Pellman73

I bought mine used. The seller of one of them told me it had a hum, so he sent it back to Carr. It has no hum now. My other one has no hum.

ah. interesting.

I may do the same...

thanks for the info.

Peter E

LPBlues

I did some testing on this issue. At first I thought, Dammnnn this thing does hum badly when in Series mode and boost on 3 with the amp cranked up about midway on the high/low volumes, sort of a Van Halen sound. But when I unplugged my guitar cable from the amp it completely went away, amp was dead silent. So I plugged my guitar back in and turned off my guitar volume, also dead silent. Switched guitars to one that I haven’t messed with the pickups and it was much better (Gibson 335). Interestingly if I was on the middle position with both guitar volumes on 10 it was nearly dead silent, if I moved one below 9 or so then there was a bit of hum but it was minor considering the gain. I think I need to have my Les Paul looked at. If anyone is having hum and has another guitar it might be worth trying this.

LPBlues

MMMMM HMMMM! Tasty cab! I love it

I like your buddha too.

welcome to the club

you guys must play loud! that thing is LOUD

especially jumpered

Thanks! I’m really starting to like this amp, no pedals needed with this thing (unless you want modulation or a boost mid-song). What’s blowing my mind is the clarity even when everything is on 11 it has this thing where I can play parts and hear string to string articulation that was never there before in my other amps.

I’m also really digging the versatility in the tone dept. with just a few clicks.

The volume thing with the band is not so much that we play super loud but play cleaner (blues and early rock). I was typically running in parallel mode on no boost or first position boost and dialing in the gain with my guitar volumes. I bet if I could put it in Fire breather mode with this band it would be plenty loud, right now its just on the edge. Mind you, I only had the volumes at around 1/4 so I could have turned those up. Will do that at the next rehearsal. The cleans on this amp are really good.

I just like a little room to move when the room fills up and you need a bit more.

Last edited:

Pellman73

Thanks! I’m really starting to like this amp, no pedals needed with this thing (unless you want modulation or a boost mid-song). What’s blowing my mind is the clarity even when everything is on 11 it has this thing where I can play parts and hear string to string articulation that was never there before in my other amps.

I’m also really digging the versatility in the tone dept. with just a few clicks.

The volume thing with the band is not so much that we play super loud but play cleaner (blues and early rock). I was typically running in parallel mode on no boost or first position boost and dialing in the gain with my guitar volumes. I bet if I could put it in Fire breather mode with this band it would be plenty loud, right now its just on the edge. Mind you, I only had the volumes at around 1/4 so I could have turned those up. Will do that at the next rehearsal. The cleans on this amp are really good.

I just like a little room to move when the room fills up and you need a bit more.

totally agree about the pedal thing-- you really don't need one. this is a plug and play amp

only issue is if you are playing live and want to go from the cleaner stuff to the dirty stuff you'd need to change yourself

might just be that you can manage everything w the volume knob on your guitar...

or--maybe you just need a roadie to do the switches!

yes-- it is so dynamic and reactive and clean even when its dirty (I'm not sure how to say that)

so many permutations... will take a lifetime to really get all the tones. the Jumper switch is just like YEAAAAAAAA. Jumper swich and tone knob all the way to the right.. make sure all the women and children are secure

and the tube reverb is phenomenal

I don't love it with the Wife is Around switch on (the attenuator).... it just takes all the fun out of it. yes you can play at lower levels but... it doesn't make the hair stand up on the back of your neck like when its in regular (not wife switch) on

I have this amp in my bedroom ...

renderit

right on

let also praise the aesthetics, don't you think? I think the look, fit and finish is just very cool

You know, I'm not nuts on the ass, ase, looks . I don't care for the speaker like that, but the fit and finish of the coverings is certainly top notch. Some of the best I've seen. I LOVE the back of the thing though. Kinda Alumi-Industrial. And I have not looked to see if mine has the frog squeezin's inside yet...

And you always need a pedal. The Origin Effects Cali76. (And now I'm starting to think about adding the Gamechanger Plus to my VERY SHORT LIST (VSL)).

26627063138_6b86958550_b.jpg

38687595400_ba48f41086_b.jpg

25627179187_89b342f8cd_b.jpg

LPBlues

I’d kind of given up on clean tones being inspiring but I spent 2 hours this morning with the 335 straight in with the controls set to “Allman Joy” except I was in parallel mode, middle position on the pickup selector and guitar volumes at 9. What a great sound for single lines and triads etc. Would roll the neck pickup down a bit for cowboy chords if I wanted more jangle. I can’t remember ever having an amp where I didn’t feel the need for a pedal. I tried my Xotic EP Booster the other day and it was another flavour but I didn’t go ‘oh man, that’s what this has been missing’ like I have with my other amps. I’ve also been surprised at how very small changes of the pickup mix (neck vs. bridge) can be so great and I like the bridge pickup on its own again! Somehow round and biting at the same time.

My only complaint is the volume when playing clean and un-attenuated with the band could use a few more Watts but I’m thinking about running this on top of my Z-Lux with an A/B/Y switch at the next gig and basically using the Z for volume assist when needed.

Zowenso

Is that a circuit board in the pic of the wiring, on page 2, or something else? I didn’t think they used them for some reason. Great looking and sounding amp.

Mike_D143

How are these amps with pedals? Not thinking OD type, but delay, chorus, etc. No need for an OD on this thing.

also, how is the clean headroom, particularly on the full 16 watt mode? Stay clean past 12 o'clock on the dial? I know you can back off the guitar volume to taste, but if guitar on 10, how does the amp do with clean?

I've been an owner of the prior Merc incarnation, but this one is crazy. Thinking about this or a Lincoln (which I can still find one). Thx!