The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 102
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    A ride in a Carr



  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Played this amp last week and it sounds really good. Many Marshall tones and more, plus a great attenuator and killer reverb.

    I own a Carr Skylark that's one of my all time favorite amps and wouldn't mind owning this one as well.

  3. #3

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Just repaired a broken switch in a "sportsman" these are really well made amps. Great parts and attention to detail.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member Red Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,645

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by porterburst View Post

    I own a Carr Skylark that's one of my all time favorite amps and wouldn't mind owning this one as well.
    I'm a big fan of Carr amps. I used to own a Mercury and I now own a Rambler, and the Skylark is #1 on my wishlist, although I'm hoping to find a used one because they cost around $4k new here in Australia.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,557

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    I bought a Mercury V based upon the enthusiastic endorsement of Ed King. I LOVE it. Brilliant amp.

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    I bought a Mercury V based upon the enthusiastic endorsement of Ed King. I LOVE it. Brilliant amp.


    I've heard that Ed King clip as well, and boy it's sweet. Thinking of grabbing one of these amp to go with my Carr Skylark.



    What color did you get and how does it sound with your Burst?



    Pictures!!

  7. #7
    Forum Moderator T.Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,493

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    I am looking for something small with a bit of a Marshall-esque tone/punch at low volume levels. After hearing several clips, I am steering in this direction.

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: A ride in a Carr



  9. #9
    Forum Moderator T.Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,493

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    That amp seems too versatile to be true! AND, it should keep the neighbors happy.

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Allen View Post
    That amp seems too versatile to be true! AND, it should keep the neighbors happy.
    I've yet to hear anything negative about it.







  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member sonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,535

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    I've always been impressed with the Mercury V demo's.

    Due to limited time I had to pick between a Carr Mercury or a Tone King Falcon to try out. Kind of wish I picked the Carr.

  12. #12
    Forum Moderator T.Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,493

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    I have one on the way to me.

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    I've played the new Mercury V 3-4 times and I had to have one to go with my Carr Skylark.

    Mine arrived yesterday...black gator sides with fawn/slub middle.


    Will post pictures soon.
    Last edited by porterburst; 07-07-17 at 10:14 PM.

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member Red Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,645

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by porterburst View Post
    I've played the new Mercury V 3-4 times and I had to have one to go with my Carr Skylark.
    Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Mercury V compared with your Skylark.

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Here's a shot of my new Carr Mercury V I've had for about four days now and love it. Sounds fantastic with my Murphy aged Dickey Betts 57 gold top. Black gator sides with Fawn/Slub middle....beautiful!



    Last edited by porterburst; 07-10-17 at 09:09 PM.

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by porterburst View Post
    Here's a shot of my new Carr Mercury V I've had for about four days now and love it. Sounds fantastic with my Murphy aged Dickey Betts 57 gold top. Black gator sides with Fawn/Slub middle....beautiful!






    Nice!

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Mercury V compared with your Skylark.


    The Skylark has less bass, in fact some may feel it doesn't have enough low end. I think it's perfectly balanced for it's size and power rating, and works well with all types of guitars. Sounds amazing with my Les Pauls, very full and balanced. The low end is round and firm, but not super stiff. The Skylarks mid range tone can sound very similar to a Rambler cranked in low watt mode.


    The Mercury V has more low end that's tight. I keep the bass around 9 o'clock with my Les Pauls and higher if needed with single coils.



    From my standpoint the Skylark and Mercury have similarities, but are still very different amps in general. I like the differences each amp offers. The Skylark has the bounce and tone of various old Fenders with a little British flavor with Carr own take tossed in. The Skylark also has this super fast response with a very sweet overall tone range. It also has a very singing lead tone with my Les Pauls that I love.


    The Mercury V is much more Marshall flavored, but does have some Fender like tones tossed in. It's also a little louder in the bedroom compared to the Skylark, even at its lowest attenuated level. The tone is bold and somewhat firm or tight compared to the Skylark. The Mercury has that bright Marshall like crunch or grunt, while the Skylark has some crunch is more on the smooth brown side. Both amps are amazing, just different.

    The Mercury really shines when cranked and has a lot more clean headroom with endless overdrive options. Cranked it seems much louder that 16 watts. The reverb is also very different on both models, the Skylark being a little more traditional while the Mercury is more ambient but does offer some surf like splash.

    I love them both for different reasons.

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Cool clips of Ed King playing his Mercury V.












  19. #19
    Forum Moderator T.Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,493

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    This is a kick ass little amp! It is like an old Marshall stack all scrunched up into this little pine box.


  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Allen View Post
    This is a kick ass little amp! It is like an old Marshall stack all scrunched up into this little pine box.







    I love mine as well. As the speaker breaks in the tone gets better and better.

    It's a loud beast in full 16 watt mode.
    Last edited by porterburst; 08-03-17 at 09:13 PM.

  21. #21
    Les Paul Forum Member Red Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,645

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by porterburst View Post
    The Skylark has less bass, in fact some may feel it doesn't have enough low end. I think it's perfectly balanced for it's size and power rating, and works well with all types of guitars. Sounds amazing with my Les Pauls, very full and balanced. The low end is round and firm, but not super stiff. The Skylarks mid range tone can sound very similar to a Rambler cranked in low watt mode.


    The Mercury V has more low end that's tight. I keep the bass around 9 o'clock with my Les Pauls and higher if needed with single coils.



    From my standpoint the Skylark and Mercury have similarities, but are still very different amps in general. I like the differences each amp offers. The Skylark has the bounce and tone of various old Fenders with a little British flavor with Carr own take tossed in. The Skylark also has this super fast response with a very sweet overall tone range. It also has a very singing lead tone with my Les Pauls that I love.


    The Mercury V is much more Marshall flavored, but does have some Fender like tones tossed in. It's also a little louder in the bedroom compared to the Skylark, even at its lowest attenuated level. The tone is bold and somewhat firm or tight compared to the Skylark. The Mercury has that bright Marshall like crunch or grunt, while the Skylark has some crunch is more on the smooth brown side. Both amps are amazing, just different.

    The Mercury really shines when cranked and has a lot more clean headroom with endless overdrive options. Cranked it seems much louder that 16 watts. The reverb is also very different on both models, the Skylark being a little more traditional while the Mercury is more ambient but does offer some surf like splash.

    I love them both for different reasons.
    Thanks for your insights, sounds like you can't go wrong owning both, absolutely great amps.

  22. #22
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Charlie Hargrett Playing an original 1959 Les Paul Burst through a Carr Mercury V.






  23. #23
    Les Paul Forum Member joeh77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    88

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    The Mercury V sounds great! But what about the original 8 watt version with the Kingpin speaker? Used prices on this model have come down, as you'd expect. How much different would you expect the tone to be from version 1 to the V?

    Joe

  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by joeh77 View Post
    The Mercury V sounds great! But what about the original 8 watt version with the Kingpin speaker? Used prices on this model have come down, as you'd expect. How much different would you expect the tone to be from version 1 to the V?

    Joe

    The original Mercury is a totally different amp compared to the new Mercury V.

    The original Merc is a nice amp, but some loved the original Kingpin speaker, while other hated it and preferred the Eminence Red White and Blue speaker that came in the later original Merc models.

  25. #25

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    I own a Skylark and a Swart AST (personally like the Swart a bit better for gigs, but you cannot beat the skylark attenuation and is far more versatile. Need pedals for the Swart) but I have also gotten the Mercury V on order based on the glowing reviews.

    I also have a Tone King Majesty 15 for my British sounds and its still too loud for me in bedroom/man cave volumes (normal conditions).

    I think Carr has the best attenuation settings compared to all others for my ear. It has such flexibility and Range over the Iron Man or other. Cant wait for it to arrive!





    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Nice!
    Last edited by roysessions; 08-30-17 at 05:38 PM.

  26. #26
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by roysessions View Post
    I own a Skylark and a Swart AST (personally like the Swart a bit better for gigs, but you cannot beat the skylark attenuation and is far more versatile. Need pedals for the Swart) but I have also gotten the Mercury V on order based on the glowing reviews.

    I also have a Tone King Majesty 15 for my British sounds and its still too loud for me in bedroom/man cave volumes (normal conditions).

    I think Carr has the best attenuation settings compared to all others for my ear. It has such flexibility and Range over the Iron Man or other. Cant wait for it to arrive!



    Tone is so subjective, but I owned a Swart AST MKII Master 1-12 combo that was amazing, but I like my Skylark much more overall.

    The eq of the Skylark is just so broad and makes for a better amp for so many different styles of music, plus it works well so many different types of guitars.

    I love my Mercury V just as much.


    Carr makes killer amps!
    Last edited by porterburst; 01-05-18 at 11:38 PM.

  27. #27
    Les Paul Forum Member 58burst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    No. Cal
    Posts
    2,164

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    A mercury V arrived yesterday, took it to a jam today- I gotta say that's the MOST fun I've ever had with an amp. I'm in love!

  28. #28
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by 58burst View Post
    A mercury V arrived yesterday, took it to a jam today- I gotta say that's the MOST fun I've ever had with an amp. I'm in love!


    I agree, it's a killer amp.




    Pictures...?????

  29. #29

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    58 Burst stashed his Mercury V at my house and I'm not letting it leave. Great amp.

  30. #30

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    I've yet to hear anything negative about it.






    That Rodney Gene Jr. review is one of the best amp reviews ive ever seen! What a great player and he took that amp from country to David Bowie! Wow! What a great sounding amp! Do these come with a built in attenuator?

  31. #31
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr




    Here's a cool Mercury V head and 1X12 cab clip.

  32. #32
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Tweed and blackó just Ordered from humbucker music

    decided I donít need two Friedman amps and Iím gonna sell my ds mini

    unless someone can convince me that i need both a ds mini and a mercury V. How many hand wired low watt Marshally things does a person need anyhow?

    Psyched !!

  33. #33
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    Tweed and blackó just Ordered from humbucker music

    decided I donít need two Friedman amps and Iím gonna sell my ds mini

    unless someone can convince me that i need both a ds mini and a mercury V. How many hand wired low watt Marshally things does a person need anyhow?

    Psyched !!



    I think with the new Carr you'll be pretty much good to go.

  34. #34
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by porterburst View Post
    I think with the new Carr you'll be pretty much good to go.
    great! thanks for that.

    I just shipped the DS Mini w the Cab!

    Took a bit of a hit but I feel I can look the wife in the eyes when I combine that with an epiphone casino and some pedals that I was able to hawk on the 'verb. Can I get an amen from anyone who knows what I mean
    ?

    just looked and it looks like it will be here tomorrow!

    I"ll take some pics and maybe try and do a vid

  35. #35
    Les Paul Forum Member renderit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,468

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    I ALWAYS look down when I am around Her Majesty. I know there is something I forgot to tell her so I just do. I just listened to the Lincoln. Thats more up my alley. Though I did find some vids with nice cleans on the Mercury V.


  36. #36
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I ALWAYS look down when I am around Her Majesty. I know there is something I forgot to tell her so I just do. I just listened to the Lincoln. Thats more up my alley. Though I did find some vids with nice cleans on the Mercury V.
    that's a good cover your bases move.

    I love the look of those lincolns -- did you watch the lance keltner vid? he always does great ones

    I"m posting about another amp too--- Fender's new 64 deluxe reverb hand wired. great from two days ago from John Bohlinger--

    heres a nice one on the linc (second half) if you didn't see it.

    Last edited by Pellman73; 09-27-17 at 07:22 PM. Reason: looked aroudn found a thing

  37. #37
    Les Paul Forum Member renderit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,468

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    I usually avoid NAMM show video's as there is SOO much crap in the background you can't hear squat, but this one is good. Around 3:00 he does some amazing cleans through it. Shortly before that (2:45) he shows how to set it up to do that.



  38. #38
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    managed to escape work, make it to the UPS store (those signature issues can be tricky) and get this guy out of the box

    have played it a little bit and so far I think its pretty incredible. the attenuator alone is really pretty amazing. but the range of sounds you can get from clean to california death metal is pretty astounding. The two channels that you can have in parallel or "jumpered" combined with the three boost settings-- its a cornucopia! but more than that-- aesthetically I just think it is so incredibly cool looking-- and the quality of the build is fantastic.

    this is a plug your guitar in and go type of animal. no need for effects (and there ain't no effects loop if ya wanted one. and thats FINE)



    it will live in the bedroom and join the red fender combo of doom and awesomeness (yes dear I have two amplifiers in the bedroom now but we have very little art work and these are very much works of art-- don't you think?)



    (yea I know I need to get a surge protector)

  39. #39
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I usually avoid NAMM show video's as there is SOO much crap in the background you can't hear squat, but this one is good. Around 3:00 he does some amazing cleans through it. Shortly before that (2:45) he shows how to set it up to do that.


    yes great video for sure. I actually played that amp at NAMM this year but the dude I was talking to (actually the guy that makes the cabinets there) didn't really want me to play it too loud and it was hard to tell anything about it.

    NAMM is crazy (have you been?). I was a drummer before I became obsessed with guitars and I have to say when you get anywhere near the drum part its like "I DON'T WANT TO WORK I WANT TO BANG ON MY DRUM ALL DAY" and it just seems so DUMB AND LOUD-- drumming I mean. I guess what I mean is drums are cool like say, if its just you and Manu Katche or Stuart Copeland in a studio-- but a football sized area of people playing drums and things is such cacophany that the sum total experience is you feel like you have entered the monkey part of the zoo and all the monkeys have raided a truck from DW Drums and are going ... well... ape$shit. Made me kind of embarrassed to be a drummer.

    so yea. Namm is loud!

    I'm headed back this year!

  40. #40
    Les Paul Forum Member porterburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: A ride in a Carr

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    managed to escape work, make it to the UPS store (those signature issues can be tricky) and get this guy out of the box

    have played it a little bit and so far I think its pretty incredible. the attenuator alone is really pretty amazing. but the range of sounds you can get from clean to california death metal is pretty astounding. The two channels that you can have in parallel or "jumpered" combined with the three boost settings-- its a cornucopia! but more than that-- aesthetically I just think it is so incredibly cool looking-- and the quality of the build is fantastic.

    this is a plug your guitar in and go type of animal. no need for effects (and there ain't no effects loop if ya wanted one. and thats FINE)



    it will live in the bedroom and join the red fender combo of doom and awesomeness (yes dear I have two amplifiers in the bedroom now but we have very little art work and these are very much works of art-- don't you think?)



    (yea I know I need to get a surge protector)



    Very sweet my friend!!!


    It's only gonna get better as the speaker breaks in and you become more familiar with the controls since they're very interactive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i