• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A ride in a Carr

Pellman73

Very sweet my friend!!!

It's only gonna get better as the speaker breaks in and you become more familiar with the controls since they're very interactive.

thanks for the help and guidance w this. this was a GREAT decision.

Man I'm addicted to this thing

I would say that its probably the best amp I've ever played through. (I'm not saying I"ve played through that many either-- but for what I've played through this one is the best) Just so much fun. the two volume controls plus the parallel vs Jumpered -- THEN the three boost stages-- just incredible the range of tones and gain options you have.

I think the way it is designed and layed out (the interactiveness you mention) is genius.

I compare it to a Mesa 5:25 head that I had (and sold) that I think was attempting to have this many tone options but was much less intuitive and complex and too many little switches and slidey things. this is much more thoughtfully laid out and I think represents a really cool evolution in amp design.

just sounds phenomenal. I've played the crap out of my 61 SG ri and was playing my 2003 gold top R7 this morning and its just harmonic heaven

the attenuator is really slick too.

I think everyone needs one!

57Strat777

Here's a cool Mercury V head and 1X12 cab clip.

That's my video. I am happy to see you enjoyed it! I am still loving the Mercury V. I honestly feel this is the perfect amp for me and it does everything I need from an amp. It has a wonderful loose feel that makes picking dynamics a joy, no matter whether you're using a clean or crunch setting. If you want a little more breakup and harmonics, just hit the strings a little harder. You'll never get spiked-in-the-ear from the Mercury V. The Mercury V is super responsive to your touch, which is non-existent in many amps. Players that need an amp that reacts to subtle picking dynamics at any volume will love the Mercury V.

57Strat777

thanks for the help and guidance w this. this was a GREAT decision.

Man I'm addicted to this thing

I would say that its probably the best amp I've ever played through. (I'm not saying I"ve played through that many either-- but for what I've played through this one is the best) Just so much fun. the two volume controls plus the parallel vs Jumpered -- THEN the three boost stages-- just incredible the range of tones and gain options you have.

I think the way it is designed and layed out (the interactiveness you mention) is genius.

I compare it to a Mesa 5:25 head that I had (and sold) that I think was attempting to have this many tone options but was much less intuitive and complex and too many little switches and slidey things. this is much more thoughtfully laid out and I think represents a really cool evolution in amp design.

just sounds phenomenal. I've played the crap out of my 61 SG ri and was playing my 2003 gold top R7 this morning and its just harmonic heaven

the attenuator is really slick too.

I think everyone needs one!

Totally agree! I've have had a few Mesa amps and they were so hard to get dialed in for a particular sounds, I ended up rarely resetting it for different sounds because I didn't want to lose the sound I spend hours dialing in. With the Mercury V, I can quickly dial in any sound I want within a minute or so. The Low and High input blending feature is awesome also for getting different pickups to sound great. This is the first amp I've ever owned where I could get 50's Strat single coils type PUs to sound thick and smooth with no harshness using just the amp controls.

Pellman73

Totally agree! I've have had a few Mesa amps and they were so hard to get dialed in for a particular sounds, I ended up rarely resetting it for different sounds because I didn't want to lose the sound I spend hours dialing in. With the Mercury V, I can quickly dial in any sound I want within a minute or so. The Low and High input blending feature is awesome also for getting different pickups to sound great. This is the first amp I've ever owned where I could get 50's Strat single coils type PUs to sound thick and smooth with no harshness using just the amp controls.

:yah

Incidentally i sent. Note of thanks thru the website and got a nice email from Steve Carr himself. Very classy.

i need a place to play it loud. I have it in my bedroom and was playing it the other night with the attenuator and I still got the “please turn it down”

too many people in my house !

57Strat777

:yah

Incidentally i sent. Note of thanks thru the website and got a nice email from Steve Carr himself. Very classy.

i need a place to play it loud. I have it in my bedroom and was playing it the other night with the attenuator and I still got the “please turn it down”

too many people in my house !

My wife doesn't complain near as much about the noise since I bought her a set of those noise-cancelling headphones with blu-tooth. She'll sync the headphones to the TV or her Ipad and I can play pretty loud in the next room with the door shut.

LPBlues

I’m about to pull the trigger on one myself. Blue sides and cream middle, love that blue and tweed one Pellman73 posted, wow! I have a question about low volume though. This is the first thread where I’ve seen any hint that it’s not capable of being super quiet. My main practice amp at home is a Dr. Z Z-Lux (40 Watts) and it can get whisper quiet with the master, which I generally need since I’m in an old bldg. without a lot of soundproofing. People still hear me though, so I keep my playing hours reasonable :). I have a friend in a modern condo (cement) and I’m always shocked when I play over there, seems like my amp isn’t even on till I turn up.

I realize this is pretty subjective without a decibel meter but how low can it go? And does it still sound great at the lowest volumes?

Ps, I love my Z for gigging and practicing I’m just on an exploration and like the naked versatility of this amp.

58burst

Gets pretty quiet, not whisper-q... Tone great at all levels.
I could go on all day about how great this amp is. I'm a marshall guy, and this thing is almost more marshally than marshall, like they distilled the essence of marshall, exaggerated it a bit, and put it in these-

renderit

Gets pretty quiet, not whisper-q... Tone great at all levels.
I could go on all day about how great this amp is. I'm a marshall guy, and this thing is almost more marshally than marshall, like they distilled the essence of marshall, exaggerated it a bit, and put it in these-

I bought in on the last version of "Totally Marshall". The Friedman DS Mini. And the one before that. The Germino MGL. Is this one "Totally Marshaller"? This is getting 'spensive guys!

P.S. With less than 1/2 that investment you can have a Two Notes Torpedo which will let you play ANY of them through even headphones or your computer/studio monitors down as low as you want...

Pellman73

I’m about to pull the trigger on one myself. Blue sides and cream middle, love that blue and tweed one Pellman73 posted, wow! I have a question about low volume though. This is the first thread where I’ve seen any hint that it’s not capable of being super quiet. My main practice amp at home is a Dr. Z Z-Lux (40 Watts) and it can get whisper quiet with the master, which I generally need since I’m in an old bldg. without a lot of soundproofing. People still hear me though, so I keep my playing hours reasonable :). I have a friend in a modern condo (cement) and I’m always shocked when I play over there, seems like my amp isn’t even on till I turn up.

I realize this is pretty subjective without a decibel meter but how low can it go? And does it still sound great at the lowest volumes?

Ps, I love my Z for gigging and practicing I’m just on an exploration and like the naked versatility of this amp.

LP Blues- get yourself one. you will not regret it. and get one of the cool cover deals (like w gator or whatever). it is a work of art. I look at mine every day and smile and think "that is one beautiful amp"

couple things--

the layout of how it works (high low dials, then the jumper switch, then three levels of boost-- THEN the attenuator) is just SO fun and intuitive you will giggle to yourself then say, "ok this is genius next level stuff"

the best way I can describe it is it is CHROMATIC-- in that it has so many gradiations from clean to death metal with just easy flips of switches that are very intuitive. it sounds SO GOOD

and quiet is in the eye of the beholder-- but you can play this thing at VERY low levels

This thing is Rick Flair and its coming off the top rope back flip and kicks the DS mini's ass. Its the Kiss stealin, wheelin dealing, limo riding, jet flying son of a gun amp! I had a DS mini and sold it. its a cool amp (DS mini), but its more of a one or two trick pony. plus this has some reverb flavor if you want it as well as the attenuator.

REN sell your DS mini (like I did) and get one of these.... you will UNDERSTAND

its definitely more marshallier

NOW

if you want to talk about my Friedman Small Box 50 Head into my matchless 2x12.... we can talk marshallllllllly!

(I have found tonal biiss in the Brown Eye channel with the Origin effects compact deluxe into a klon gold tail horse w gain all the way down and output all the way up.... it makes my cat's eyes bleed! (which is good in a way)

LPBlues

Thanks Pellman, it’s ordered. Won’t be in till Feb but I have this pic to keep me warm until then:
wfC30S1

Well it doesn’t want to work here for some reason but it’s a cream and blue one.
http://imgur.com/wfC30S1

Pellman73

Thanks Pellman, it’s ordered. Won’t be in till Feb but I have this pic to keep me warm until then:
wfC30S1

Well it doesn’t want to work here for some reason but it’s a cream and blue one.
http://imgur.com/wfC30S1

Yeeeeaaaaaaaaa!

i love it! That looks great.

fun anticipation time too.

Congrats!

and by the way don’t make the mistake I did calling it a “mercury five” it’s pronounced “mercury Vee” as in “6v6” . I had called up there and someone who answered the phone said that (might have been the man himself... not sure )

awesome!

Pellman73

Hopefully the next version isn’t the Mercury II pronounced aye aye.

hey man maybe this is your amp!

I took a drive up to the Carr shop today (my reverb tank wasn't working. was just a bad tube it turns out) up in Pittsboro-- its about 35 miles from where I live. Met Steve (he came in just as I was leaving). Nice guy.

very cool to see where the magic happens. Nice guys. And for sure this is the real deal boutique-- this is not a factory. they are putting out just a few amps a day.

as it turns out they can't make enough Mercury Vs--- they had to do an emergency order to get more chassis in.... here's a merc V on the bench being made-- a Raleigh is being made to the left

renderit

Um. Whats the goop all over in there? I think they gots a frog problem! Gonna be tadpoles drippin' oot yer speaker jack dude! And when those tubes light up it's gonna SMEEEEELL !

Pellman73

Um. Whats the goop all over in there? I think they gots a frog problem! Gonna be tadpoles drippin' oot yer speaker jack dude! And when those tubes light up it's gonna SMEEEEELL !

Ren you have now had the rare chance to see what real mojo actually looks like. That goop is pure, 200 proof, Pittsboro NC MOJO

Pellman73

here is a premier guitar review of the Skylark

All I can say is all that solder, blobs of glue, caps, pots and whatever else makes the most awesome amp I ever I think. hard to stop playing it. and it does so much!

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21511-carr-skylark-review

and I quote (with ren coloring for effect)

"The insides are just as striking, but in a different way. Opinions vary as to whether amps assembled on turret board are truly “point-to-point.” But this is definitely the real deal, with no board at all. Parts are soldered directly to each other, to pots and tube sockets, or to bits of terminal strip. Components “float” in space, secured by wire, solder, and glue-gun blobs that suggest a Martha Stewart project gone horribly wrong. At a glance, it may seem sloppy and chaotic, but once you start poking around, you realize how reliably everything is secured.

Parts are modern, with a mix of carbon-comp and metal-film resistors and many standard-sized caps. However, the big power supply caps are formidable-looking Solens, reportedly used in aerospace. The transformers are custom made for Carr."