• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A ride in a Carr

porterburst

Played this amp last week and it sounds really good. Many Marshall tones and more, plus a great attenuator and killer reverb.

I own a Carr Skylark that's one of my all time favorite amps and wouldn't mind owning this one as well.

zacknorton

Just repaired a broken switch in a "sportsman" these are really well made amps. Great parts and attention to detail.

Red Baron

I own a Carr Skylark that's one of my all time favorite amps and wouldn't mind owning this one as well.

I'm a big fan of Carr amps. I used to own a Mercury and I now own a Rambler, and the Skylark is #1 on my wishlist, although I'm hoping to find a used one because they cost around $4k new here in Australia.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
I bought a Mercury V based upon the enthusiastic endorsement of Ed King. I LOVE it. Brilliant amp.:yah

porterburst

I bought a Mercury V based upon the enthusiastic endorsement of Ed King. I LOVE it. Brilliant amp.:yah

I've heard that Ed King clip as well, and boy it's sweet. Thinking of grabbing one of these amp to go with my Carr Skylark.

What color did you get and how does it sound with your Burst?

Pictures!! :dude:

T.Allen

I am looking for something small with a bit of a Marshall-esque tone/punch at low volume levels. After hearing several clips, I am steering in this direction.

T.Allen

That amp seems too versatile to be true! AND, it should keep the neighbors happy. :salude

sonar

I've always been impressed with the Mercury V demo's.

Due to limited time I had to pick between a Carr Mercury or a Tone King Falcon to try out. Kind of wish I picked the Carr.

porterburst

I've played the new Mercury V 3-4 times and I had to have one to go with my Carr Skylark.

Mine arrived yesterday...black gator sides with fawn/slub middle. :dude:

Will post pictures soon.

Last edited:

porterburst

Here's a shot of my new Carr Mercury V I've had for about four days now and love it. Sounds fantastic with my Murphy aged Dickey Betts 57 gold top. Black gator sides with Fawn/Slub middle....beautiful!

GwUhZ1s.jpg

Last edited:

porterburst

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Mercury V compared with your Skylark.

The Skylark has less bass, in fact some may feel it doesn't have enough low end. I think it's perfectly balanced for it's size and power rating, and works well with all types of guitars. Sounds amazing with my Les Pauls, very full and balanced. The low end is round and firm, but not super stiff. The Skylarks mid range tone can sound very similar to a Rambler cranked in low watt mode.

The Mercury V has more low end that's tight. I keep the bass around 9 o'clock with my Les Pauls and higher if needed with single coils.

From my standpoint the Skylark and Mercury have similarities, but are still very different amps in general. I like the differences each amp offers. The Skylark has the bounce and tone of various old Fenders with a little British flavor with Carr own take tossed in. The Skylark also has this super fast response with a very sweet overall tone range. It also has a very singing lead tone with my Les Pauls that I love.

The Mercury V is much more Marshall flavored, but does have some Fender like tones tossed in. It's also a little louder in the bedroom compared to the Skylark, even at its lowest attenuated level. The tone is bold and somewhat firm or tight compared to the Skylark. The Mercury has that bright Marshall like crunch or grunt, while the Skylark has some crunch is more on the smooth brown side. Both amps are amazing, just different.

The Mercury really shines when cranked and has a lot more clean headroom with endless overdrive options. Cranked it seems much louder that 16 watts. The reverb is also very different on both models, the Skylark being a little more traditional while the Mercury is more ambient but does offer some surf like splash.

I love them both for different reasons.

T.Allen

This is a kick ass little amp! It is like an old Marshall stack all scrunched up into this little pine box.

IMG_1716.jpg

porterburst

This is a kick ass little amp! It is like an old Marshall stack all scrunched up into this little pine box.

IMG_1716.jpg

I love mine as well. As the speaker breaks in the tone gets better and better.

It's a loud beast in full 16 watt mode.

Last edited: