• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

For Silverface Fender Amp lovers: Tell us about/show us your Faves!

Kris Ford

Sure, you can play the big stuff, but you have to use master volume or pedals to get a sound.

I want to play the amp and hear it. Why spend so much for a great amp only to hear a $100 pedal?

The EXACT reason I didn't bond with vintage ORANGE stuff..I had a '75 OR120...and it was super clean until about 9 on the volume..so it basically just served to amplify a Big Muff..

Oh, and I also had a '79 Twin...probably the loudest clean amp I have ever heard..talk about a back breaking ball buster to load in/out!!

Years back, I also had a Bassman 10...bout '94-'96..great for Grunge LOL. I used a RAT pedal with it, and a 74ish Oly White (yellow!!) Tele Thinline..
Fender73BassmanTen_1.jpg

toxpert

Oh, and I also had a '79 Twin...probably the loudest clean amp I have ever heard..talk about a back breaking ball buster to load in/out!!

My anti-love memory as well. I had a early SF Twin Reverb with a set of gray frame JBLs. My memories are deafening loudness and unbelievable weight! :dang

Bob Womack

My first really nice amp was a silverface Bandmaster I picked up in '75. It was so darned loud I couldn't get it to distort in most band situations so I replaced it with a Gibson, a GA-55RVT, that compressed and distorted much lower. These days one of my "little guys" is a late-'71 Champy I picked up for a song and a dance. Someone replaced the 8" speaker with a cheezy Realistic 10" but it sounds great! I've gigged it in coffee houses but these days I keep it at the studio so that I've got something handy that is easy to record and doesn't have to be commuted from home. I push it up the edge and plop an Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic in front of it and it sounds great. The other amp I keep at the studio and do this with is my little 1963 Gretsch 6150T Compact Tremolo, which yields a bit more rootsy sound.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif][/FONT]

Bob

JeffBlue

Hello all, I have a 1968 Fender Vibro Champ that I did a 10 inch speaker modification and a 1969 Fender drip edge Bandmaster Reverb head and they both sound great.

My other Fenders are a Studio Bass amp and a Super Champ X2 atop of a 15" speaker cab loaded with a JBL K130.

Sombrero top

My pride and joy is '73 Super Reverb with CTS alnicos - main gigging amp. Very nice shape. Second to none is 1975 Pro Reverb, 40 watt with tube rectifier. Did swap original Utah speakers to WGS G12 C.
Super_73.jpg
Pro_reverb_1975.jpg

Sombrero top

Just to add - another favorite (that I never owned) was a later dripedge (non-blackline) Super Reverb with CTS alnico's. To this day the best Super Reverb (either BF or SF) I've ever played. The sparkle in that amp was simply stunning.

Amen.

The Real MC

I hate you! I had one of those with 2 of the 2-15 JBL cabinets for years back in Kansas. Mine didn't have a MV though...

Wish I was that lucky - no DSR cabinets with my deal. I did land a Bandmaster 2x15 cabinet with a Magnavox and another unknown speaker... amazing DEEP clean sound that shows off the Fender tone. Tried other Jensen 15s, they don't sound near as good. It is a drip edge cabinet, one of the last good ones before they started using crap composite wood.

Jay Ira

Just picked up a '73 Princeton Reverb, clean as a whistle. I even think the tubes are original. Someone had snapped off the ground bar on the plug, probably 40 - 45 years ago when outlets with three-hole grounding weren't so common. I replaced the plug end, took out a weak oxford and put in a Jensen C-10R to try to keep the original character as close as possible. I gigged with it this past weekend at a medium sized venue with my four piece band (I keep a Quilter Tone Block head in my trunk for back-up) and it was heavenly! I was worried about keeping up with the loudness of the drummer and rhythm guitarist, but it worked! As they say, if your band is too loud for Princeton Reverb, your band is too loud!

Keefoman

Posted this before, but here's my '69 Super Reverb. Original CTS Alnicos and modded to Blackface curcuit, but still the silver "face". :)

Jay Ira

My pride and joy is '73 Super Reverb with CTS alnicos - main gigging amp. Very nice shape. Second to none is 1975 Pro Reverb, 40 watt with tube rectifier. Did swap original Utah speakers to WGS G12 C.
Super_73.jpg
Pro_reverb_1975.jpg

That '73 Super is beeyootiful! Replaced logo? It has a tail....

Big Al

Four years ago I found this mint condition DSR, which is the head version of the Twin Reverb. Exact same amp without speakers. Still has the original RCA tubes. I think a little old lady only played it on Sundays. The secret to making these MV amps sound good is to keep the MV at 10. And don't EVER use the pull switch on the MV.

fender_dual-showman-reverb-angled-1.jpg

I beg to differ. About the master volume pull boost thing, REMOVE THE BOOST completely. It makes a difference. The MV SUCKS!!!! Rewire the Master to a PPIMV circuit. You will thank me.

The Dual Showman Reverb was the amp we all wanted. Top dog and IMNSHO ONE OF THE BEST EVER!! Closest I got was a Quad Reverb.

Wally

The '76 Vibrolux Reverb I had was the best SF amp I have been around. The Bf/SF VR is my favorite BF/SF amp.

Patrick Ginnaty

I've had lots of SF Fender amps... a Twin Reverb, three Super Reverbs, three Deluxe Reverbs, and a Princeton Reverb. My gig amp currently is a '74 Super Reverb, I'm also using a '68 Bassman head that's pretty nice sounding.

32498155_10215712146175072_7076523026107334656_n.jpg

Last edited:

TxMack

The first amp I saw in person as little kid was a Silver Face Twin Reverb.
I was at a BBQ at a fairly distant cousins house walking down the hall.
I passed a bedroom and there it was with a beautiful Ibanez Artist leaned up on it.
There may as well have been a spotlight on it and a que for a big dramatic choir singing "Hallelujah!"

Of course in that period in the mid 70's everyone on every TV show seemed to be playing a silver Fender.
And in the 80's every pawn shop seemed to have whatever model you wanted for $100-$300 bucks. (Kicks self)

To this day I still love the look and sound of them.
In SF I have had multiple TRs, two SR's, Champ, and Deluxe.

My keeper is about a 74 Pro Reverb.

When i got it, it had an ugly black grill cloth on it. Or so i thought...
turned out someone had spray painted it. I took some thinner and a brush and
retuned it to it's original look. Not pristine...but not black!

Jazzfinger

Let's keep this thread as low-key as possible...don't want the world to know about SF amps. I know some "experts" will say them are nothing like a blackface because the speaker is different and something in the components makes the voltage higher than a Blackface but in a blind test many people wouldn;t know the difference and if they did they might end up liking a silverface better.

I get that the Silvergace doesn;t look cool to a lot of folks but play one long enough and you will start to find the Silverface to be very pretty. If you still think it's ugly you can send it to me or just get over it and listen with your ears as opposed to your eyes.

Silverface = best bang for buck.