The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Re: New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

I have gas for that new single cut Junior !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    And as I said before, I was right there with ya big one! Btw, Epiphone customer service never answered my request for info. So I'm going to pass too! But to ease your pain here's some great V licks served up vintage style by Kim Simmons....

Ive seen Kim several times over the years he's great!!!
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars

Cancelled my order yesterday. I would like to play one first. All I need is another guitar that I don't play!
    Game on!

That's the risk buying without a in hand demo , IMO you made the smart choice!

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

I love that case, it's stylin', I kind of wish they'd do a generic run of those cases sold separately.

Les Paul Forum Member Steve Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    I love that case, it's stylin', I kind of wish they'd do a generic run of those cases sold separately.
    AMS had them for sale separately a few weeks ago, but they’re gone now.
    Steve Rose
    Instagram: @steve_rose
    Facebook: @estebanrose

Les Paul Forum Member

Just found.... Epi Amos with Seymor Duncan Amos Pickups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRs2vgSfMEw

If you go to the Arthur's Music Store website, Amos, Flying V mugs are available.

Love mine! Was a bit worried because it's the first time i bougt i guitar that i never played. The neck is great and the pickups are perfect.

I'm still interested but not in the Atmos for $900. Since they all have the Veneer, I think I'd rather have the regular LE model and live with a couple extra body pieces, for a $400 savings. I did't care for the TR cover anyway and the LE model still get the Korina neck, and a all korina "parts" body. I would like a Gibson, but current Vee models don't interest me at all. For Vee's I only like Korina, or gloss black with binding and inlays. All of which are multible thousands. No thanks!!! Besides my last Les Paul wasn't so great, and probally no better than a Epi model......

I have been trying to determine what color the pickup covers were in the original Amos with no luck. Google searches for images don't really show a good photo of the authentic Amos. Since the hardware is gold I am assuming the pickup covers would have also been gold but they look nickel in some of the photos. This could be due to the gold color wearing off over the 40 years or so it was in storage. Just curious if anyone has happened across specs for the '58 V's or has a good closeup photo of the pickup covers for this vintage guitar. Thanks!

Paul

Local store had one today (pretty sure it was being collected and purchased as it was at the register). It certainly looked proper and correct from what I could see. Case is huge. Guy buying it had a silverburst epi that he was trading it.
    Guitars - '08 R8 LP, '00 60's RI MIM Strat, '92 Gibson AJ, '11 AVRI 52,
    Amps - '73 PR, '65 Gretsch 6161, '16 Mini Z
    FX - AM POT, WA Messner, Moog MF Delay, El Cap, DL4, SupaTrem 2, Wampler Reverb

"You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
    ~ John Lennon

I was wrong, guy traded the Amos V in. https://parkwaymusic.com/product/epi...-fling-v-used/

No affiliation besides being a happy customer for years. Thing looked pretty mint while i was there.
    Guitars - '08 R8 LP, '00 60's RI MIM Strat, '92 Gibson AJ, '11 AVRI 52,
    Amps - '73 PR, '65 Gretsch 6161, '16 Mini Z
    FX - AM POT, WA Messner, Moog MF Delay, El Cap, DL4, SupaTrem 2, Wampler Reverb

"You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
    ~ John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by pkessler1 View Post
    I have been trying to determine what color the pickup covers were in the original Amos with no luck. Google searches for images don't really show a good photo of the authentic Amos. Since the hardware is gold I am assuming the pickup covers would have also been gold but they look nickel in some of the photos. This could be due to the gold color wearing off over the 40 years or so it was in storage. Just curious if anyone has happened across specs for the '58 V's or has a good closeup photo of the pickup covers for this vintage guitar. Thanks!

Paul
    All 58/59 were gold.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Just wanted to post an update about my experience with Epiphone. After shipping back the defective Amos Epiphone I received the replacement this past Tuesday (February 13, 2018). This was supposed to be a factory replacement but it is most certainly not. My Amos Epiphone was ordered through Joe Bonamassa's website and arrived double boxed with a large outer box containing a second box that had Epiphone markings on it and Amos branding/labels. I have watched a couple of youtube videos of others opening their Amos Epiphones and they came in this same Epiphone box. The guitar case inside the inner box was wrapped in clear plastic to protect it.

The replacement arrived in a box that did not have any obvious Epiphone marks on it and when I opened it the case was inside unprotected and only surrounded by bubble wrap. When I opened the case the styrofoam square that was supposed to protect the pickup switch was found in the storage compartment. The "inspected by" tag that had been placed in the strings near the nut was also missing. So I was not surprised to find a crack in the in the finish that started at the nut and went around the back of the neck. There were also numerous smudges and fingerprints on the finish that nobody had bothered to wipe off.

I can only assume that since Epiphone did not have any current stock of the guitar that they decided to try to pass of a defective one someone else had returned as a factory replacement. This one is being returned as well and hopefully the next one that is sent is truly a new one. I am extremely disappointed that Epiphone allowed this guitar to be shipped out as a replacement.

Paul

Les Paul Forum Member Stevie C.'s Avatar

What dealer was this through?

Just wanted to post an update about my experience with Epiphone. After shipping back the defective Amos Epiphone I received the replacement this past Tuesday (February 13, 2018). This was supposed to be a factory replacement but it is most certainly not. My Amos Epiphone was ordered through Joe Bonamassa's website and arrived double boxed with a large outer box containing a second box that had Epiphone markings on it and Amos branding/labels. I have watched a couple of youtube videos of others opening their Amos Epiphones and they came in this same Epiphone box. The guitar case inside the inner box was wrapped in clear plastic to protect it.

The replacement arrived in a box that did not have any obvious Epiphone marks on it and when I opened it the case was inside unprotected and only surrounded by bubble wrap. When I opened the case the styrofoam square that was supposed to protect the pickup switch was found in the storage compartment. The "inspected by" tag that had been placed in the strings near the nut was also missing. So I was not surprised to find a crack in the in the finish that started at the nut and went around the back of the neck. There were also numerous smudges and fingerprints on the finish that nobody had bothered to wipe off.

I can only assume that since Epiphone did not have any current stock of the guitar that they decided to try to pass of a defective one someone else had returned as a factory replacement. This one is being returned as well and hopefully the next one that is sent is truly a new one. I am extremely disappointed that Epiphone allowed this guitar to be shipped out as a replacement.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie C. View Post
    What dealer was this through?
    I purchased the guitar through Joe Bonamassa's website but the defective guitar was sent back to Epiphone with a return address in Nashville, TN. The replacement was shipped directly to me from Epiphone and originated in Nashville, TN.

I purchased the guitar through Joe Bonamassa's website but the defective guitar was sent back to Epiphone with a return address in Nashville, TN. The replacement was shipped directly to me from Epiphone and originated in Nashville, TN.
    Ah...well even though it is certainly no fault of Joe's & Co., that would be one of the disadvantages of not going through a dealer I suppose... Bummer dude..

My Amos V arrived today and I am thrilled with how nice it is!
    It is ABSOLUTELY a SOLID 2 piece body. No veneer, on this one at least.
    Fret work is nice and smooth. Love the neck.
    Pickups sound nice, although a set of Seymour Duncan Amos pickups will be going in soon.
    The only thing I’m not crazy about is the pea soup colored tulip tuners, but those can be easily changed.
    One thing I was very happy to see was that the case is Brown. I could have sworn the pics I saw showed the case was black, but I’ll have to go back and look again.

Overall, this was a big win for me!

Also, I saw somewhere that someone said it was pretty heavy.
    This little beauty feels like a feather and weighed in at 6 3/4 lbs!

Fret work is nice and smooth. Love the neck.
    Pickups sound nice, although a set of Seymour Duncan Amos pickups will be going in soon.
    The only thing I’m not crazy about is the pea soup colored tulip tuners, but those can be easily changed.
    One thing I was very happy to see was that the case is Brown. I could have sworn the pics I saw showed the case was black, but I’ll have to go back and look again.

Overall, this was a big win for me!
    Any pics?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    I was wrong, guy traded the Amos V in. https://parkwaymusic.com/product/epi...-fling-v-used/

No affiliation besides being a happy customer for years. Thing looked pretty mint while i was there.
    I was up there Monday (2-19) and played one. It must have been another example, as it was listed and priced as "new". Unlike the first one I played there this one was definitely "veneered" (you had to look very hard, but you could see it around the heel cap). Sounded great though an amp, and the neck was just about perfect for me. Woodwork was impeccable and the veneer was almost invisible. The only issue was a finish crack on the treble side of the neck joint. For that reason, I put it back.

Besides, I literally don't have room for another oversized guitar case in the apartment. I'd still like one, though.
    My guitar style is "islands of competence in a sea of mediocrity."

Quote Originally Posted by viper007 View Post
    Any pics?
    I'll get some done..

Flyingv Re: New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

With the exception of the Peasoup Green tuners buttons, which will be replaced shortly, I absolutely love this V!!
    Can't wait till my Seymour Duncan Amos pickups get here!

Flyingv Re: New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

Very cool guitar!

I find it hard to believe that some of them are veneered and some not?
    Game on!

Les Paul Forum Member

the veneer on the top of this one is clearly visible.

Quote Originally Posted by akstrat61 View Post
    How did you conclude some are not veneered ?

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TONE View Post
    the veneer on the top of this one is clearly visible.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think so..
    The line you are seeing in the photo is certainly not seen in person.
    I can clearly see, when holding the guitar in hand, where the grain runs right through the line that was created by routing over the edge, and on to the side of the body.
    I really think it is just in the photos that people are seeing what they think is veneer.
    And I am not buying the whole some have veneer, some don't either..

Les Paul Forum Member

yeah, its the same way the "korina" Epis have been veneered for 15 years.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so..
    The line you are seeing in the photo is certainly not seen in person.
    I can clearly see, when holding the guitar in hand, where the grain runs right through the line that was created by routing over the edge, and on to the side of the body.
    I really think it is just in the photos that people are seeing what they think is veneer.
    And I am not buying the whole some have veneer, some don't either..
    Steve, that is clearly veneer. It is a nice looking guitar, for sure, but it is veneer nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    How did you conclude some are not veneered ?
    Game on!

Hi guys, joined the forum today just for this thread.

I purchased my JB Amos on 12/14/2017 at Big Apple Music in New Hartford, NY, the day after they received two of them, I got the lighter of the two. The owner indicated to me that these were the first two shipped to dealers. I would like to try to confirm that . . . After all, this is Joe B's hometown.

It is an amazing keeper guitar. It is definitely a veneer top and back . . . ~but~ the veneers are on a two piece Korina body, no butcher block like on all the Epi 58 V's I have seen. And it has a scarf joint on the headstock. So what? It functions just fine ;) $899 is a friggin steal for this guitar, I predict they will be a sleeper 10-20 years down the road . . .

I think some of you get really wound up on this "veneer" thing when it is not warranted. Fercrisake, the 1953 original Les Paul Gold Top was a carved Maple top ~laminated~ to the body :/ . . . get over it. Ya, I can see the "butcher block" thing, not my cup of tea either, why not just use plywood or particle board, LOL . . . . the fact is the Amos is definitely a cut above the Epi 58 Korina V and worth the extra money. I had a Gibson reissue V (not the 58 Korina) and it was no where close to this guitar..

Anyway, that is only my opinion.

So . . . I wonder if there is any interest in starting a serial number registry here . . . mine is 17102301962. I assume they are sequential, I have seen two other serial numbers that were purchased several weeks after mine, they were 40-50 numbers higher.

Peace \ /
    Last edited by John Galt; 03-06-18 at 08:01 AM.

Answer me this, IF the guitar has a solid two piece body, are you following me? IF IT HAS A SOLID TWO PIECE BODY, now think about this, WHY VENEER TOP & BACK??

What possible reason is there? You veneer to cover up or disguise. WHY is the center seam in the crotch wider than any other seam? How do you know the sides aren't veneered?

Doesn't bother you? Good, glad for you. You paid more than $899. Closer to a G than that, something I wasn't willing to do, for my own good reasons. Don't lecture us about what is important or quality. Veneer is an issue as Epiphoney is being deliberately deceitful about these. It also gets fuzzy when wrongly described here as non veneer.

Weren't the JB Treasure Firebirds veneered as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Answer me this, IF the guitar has a solid two piece body, are you following me? IF IT HAS A SOLID TWO PIECE BODY, now think about this, WHY VENEER TOP & BACK??

What possible reason is there? You veneer to cover up or disguise. WHY is the center seam in the crotch wider than any other seam? How do you know the sides aren't veneered?

Doesn't bother you? Good, glad for you. You paid more than $899. Closer to a G than that, something I wasn't willing to do, for my own good reasons. Don't lecture us about what is important or quality. Veneer is an issue as Epiphoney is being deliberately deceitful about these. It also gets fuzzy when wrongly described here as non veneer.
    The reason is simple, to hide a less than desirable grain pattern. If these were indeed ~two~ pieces of Korina they would be much more than $899 and therefore outside Epiphone's target market ;) Veneer makes these affordable for chumps like you and me. Check out pics of the originals, they WERE two solid pieces and the grain is nowhere near as nice as these with the veneer . .

Show me where Epi specs this as solid two piece Korina, they don't, you are being deceitful with yourself. LOL!

Actually I paid less than $899, got the employee discount ;) THAT is less than 1/200th to 1/300th the cost of an original and I get a very ~nice~ copy of an unobtainable iconic guitar for a price I can afford.

Peace \ /

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by akstrat61 View Post
    Why not? I suspect the "less than perfect" pieces of wood might require a veneer, while others might not.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    The reason is simple, to hide a less than desirable grain pattern. If these were indeed ~two~ pieces of Korina they would be much more than $899 and therefore outside Epiphone's target market ;) Veneer makes these affordable for chumps like you and me. Check out pics of the originals, they WERE two solid pieces and the grain is nowhere near as nice as these with the veneer . .

Show me where Epi specs this as solid two piece Korina, they don't, you are being deceitful with yourself. LOL!

Actually I paid less than $899, got the employee discount ;) THAT is less than 1/200th to 1/300th the cost of an original and I get a very ~nice~ copy of an unobtainable iconic guitar for a price I can afford.

Peace \ /
    Okay, I posted before reading your reply about the veneer.

Update: I went back to Parkway Music yesterday and brought home my very own "Amos" Flying V. Apparently this was the second of the two they had. This one has a veneer on the top and back, but is much lighter weight than the first one they had. At home, it weighs 7lb. 6oz. on my digital fish scale ("fish scale"-get it?). This is almost a pound heavier than the '98 Epi "korina" V I used to own, but not an issue to me. The guitar feels light and balances well on a strap.

I must admit I'm impressed with this guitar. The neck is just perfect for me, not too big, not too small, and the woodwork is very neat. I've owned Gibsons that weren't assembled as nicely. Pickups sound great and I'm sure it will sound even better once I get some decent strings on it (I haven't wanted to stop playing it long enough to mess with it yet).

I certainly didn't need another guitar, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a replica of an iconic Gibson guitar for a tiny fraction of the cost of the real deal.

To be sure, it will get a few mods when I'm in the mood. If I like something, I'll mod it. it's part of the fun. As mentioned, the "snot colored" tuner buttons will have to go, so a new set of tuners is on order. Also, the guitar should have taller pickup rings. Gibson rings won't fit, but DiMarzio rings do, so a set of them is on the way (and longer screws for the bridge pickup ring). Down the road, I want to replace the Asian selector switch and jack with Switchcraft parts and maybe the pots as well. The specs say "CTS" pots, but the splines are metric coarse splines, so I don't know if they are or not. I know about the splines because I had to remove the knobs and nuts to cleanly remove the pickguard plastic and to install some knob pointers.

Oh yeah, mine is 17102302319.
    Last edited by Uncle Gary; 03-06-18 at 10:11 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post

Count me as another happy customer. Tom and Matt have sold me 17 guitars over the years, even though they're 110 miles away.

Well, I'm still not convinced it's veneer, but either way I think its an awesome guitar and well worth the money!
    The tuners themselves seem nice to me, so I'll just be replacing the gross green buttons with new ones.
    I'll also be putting the Seymour Duncan Amos pickups in this weekend hopefully, as long as this friggin' snow storm doesn't delay their delivery..
    I'll probably swap out the tuners and caps too at some point with USA made CTS and Pio caps.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast