The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Re: New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

I'd go meet the dude, but, I just kind of feel like I've met "that dude" enough for one life His other self probably sold us a used Ford Focus at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Well, ain't that special. So which are you buying, 500k original? Or 7-10k reissue?
    Agreed- Gibson has totally priced me out of ever owning a Korina Flying V. The specs on the Epiphone Amos are pretty good and the wood appears to be of better quality than previous Epiphone offerings.

Les Paul Forum Member

I just read about Duncan making exact clones of the original "Amos" pickups, they are supposed to be really different sounding then other HB's of the time. Expensive, but they might push that Epiphone Amos over the top.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Keefoman View Post
    It's got Epiphones Probuckers 2 and 3.

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Feature...-Flying-V.aspx

Epiphones Probuckers 2 and 3 ? Really ?

Les Paul Forum Member bizzwriter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombiwoof View Post
    I just read about Duncan making exact clones of the original "Amos" pickups, they are supposed to be really different sounding then other HB's of the time. Expensive, but they might push that Epiphone Amos over the top.
    Al
    Now that's interesting -- got a link? Would love to check out a pair of those...
    Music is the BEST!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephens View Post
    Agreed- Gibson has totally priced me out of ever owning a Korina Flying V. The specs on the Epiphone Amos are pretty good and the wood appears to be of better quality than previous Epiphone offerings.
    If the build is like the Firebird I it should be solid, no veneer or neck Spanish scarf joint. I already have Duncan Amos pups ordered.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member

Wish I could remember, it was in a recent online version of a guitar Mag like Tone Report or something. They had a story about the development of the pickups, and said there was something very different about those particular HB's. Pretty expensive as I recall.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by bizzwriter View Post
    Now that's interesting -- got a link? Would love to check out a pair of those...

(Q) How many guitars should you have? (A) Just one more.

Outside of a darker finish, how is this different from the earlier models???

My earlier model (1st run, notice the missing rubber strip)... I put in Gibby pups, electronics and hardware... still less expensive than the Amos...

Quote Originally Posted by 58Lover View Post
    Outside of a darker finish, how is this different from the earlier models???

My earlier model (1st run, notice the missing rubber strip)... I put in Gibby pups, electronics and hardware... still less expensive than the Amos...

Yours isn't Korina. Yours has a multi laminate butcher block Asian Sen wood body capped with veneers. Yours has a maple neck with the upper headstock part grafted to the neck with a scarf joint and a much smaller tenon. That's some of it.

(Q) How many guitars should you have? (A) Just one more.

True that, but it looks to me like Epi's is a veneer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Lover View Post
    True that, but it looks to me like Epi's is a veneer as well.
    I know the current 58 LTD is, but the Amos looks to be two piece center seam solid Korina with a korina neck. When my pal Bob and I compared my Epi Bonamassa FB I to his Gibson we were surprised by how well built the Epi was. I'm hoping the Amos will be as good. The thick poly finish is a drag though. I prefer the lighter color, like yours but I understand matching the original Amos darker tint.

I'd love a matching Explorer.

If the build is like the Firebird I it should be solid, no veneer or neck Spanish scarf joint. I already have Duncan Amos pups ordered.
    I couldn't be happier with the build quality of my Firebird. It rings like a bell and plays effortlessly. I haven't even changed the ProBucker Firebird pickup. I've got the Amos on order (thanks to my wife for the generous birthday gift). I'll put it through the paces and determine if the ProBuckers on the Amos meet my needs.

Really looking forward to rocking out on this V!🤘

Flyingv Re: New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

Nice Gibson copy ...

The new 2018 Gibson aged cherry Vee is a pure beauty and it sound so hot !

Les Paul Forum Member bizzwriter's Avatar

Thank you sir -- $375 for the set seems pretty reasonable stacked up against other PAF clones. The Skinner Burst set sold out, and I suspect this set will too.

Happy birthday to me...
    Music is the BEST!

Quote Originally Posted by EFLOW View Post
    Nice Gibson copy ...

The new 2018 Gibson aged cherry Vee is a pure beauty and it sound so hot !

Where is the rest of the pickguard?

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Where is the rest of the pickguard?
    it sound so hot

Quote Originally Posted by Stephens View Post
    I couldn't be happier with the build quality of my Firebird. It rings like a bell and plays effortlessly. I haven't even changed the ProBucker Firebird pickup. I've got the Amos on order (thanks to my wife for the generous birthday gift). I'll put it through the paces and determine if the ProBuckers on the Amos meet my needs.

Really looking forward to rocking out on this V!🤘
    Isn't it just excellent! Mine is 100% stock and nothing needs changing, the bridge and pickup are great. I ordered a couple of Duncan Amos sets, gold and nickle. I have both previous sets of Bonamassa pickups and they are amazingly authentic sounding.

Isn't it just excellent! Mine is 100% stock and nothing needs changing, the bridge and pickup are great. I ordered a couple of Duncan Amos sets, gold and nickle. I have both previous sets of Bonamassa pickups and they are amazingly authentic sounding.
    Big Al- you're a bad influence ; )

Now you got me thinking more and more on getting the Amos pickups (just to have on hand).

Yours isn't Korina. Yours has a multi laminate butcher block Asian Sen wood body capped with veneers. Yours has a maple neck with the upper headstock part grafted to the neck with a scarf joint and a much smaller tenon. That's some of it.
    According to a thread on the gear page, one of the members their talked to one of the guys at Epiphone and he said the Amos is also multipiece with a veneer with same construction as the older Epi V korina reissues. I sure would like to know the truth here.

Then on the AMS website the AMS special edition Epi '58 reissues says Korina solid wood in the description of the warm tone of Korina blurb and the specs, and the picture of the neck doesn't show a scarf joint The 58 reissue has a 1960 d profile while the Amos is showing medium '59 C profile. The '58 reissue doesn't come with a hard case, and also has 3 ply pickguard and output jack plate as opposed to the AMOS 4 ply. The Amos also has CTS electronics, deep set neck joint, raised logo, Blackwood fingerboard, AMOS trussrod cover, and some cool case candy. So the Amos looks like a decent upgrade compared to the next best Epi V reissue (if the wood is really solid as stated and not butcher block). Just add good pickups and rock out!

Check the specs....

58 reissue.... https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EGV2-ANGH3
    Amos.... https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EDJB-ANGH3

My post was a responce to 58lovers first run issue

Some guy that knows a guy posting on TGP has no credibility to me. The Epi model specs have even less. I got to see them.

That V looks nothing like the Epiphone site or the ones I personally held. Just like all the youtube videos of the 58 LTD, they all had scarf necks and one piece quartersaw veneer front and back. Nothing like the off biased center seam in the AMS picture, which is much nicer.

I'm only guessing, [hoping], that the high build quality of the Firebird will carry on with Amos. I cannot see any evidence of veneer on Amos.

Flyingv Re: New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

I've got the 2016 Epi Ltd. Ed. Korina V. I've read somewhere that these differs a bit from the previous Korina model, but I haven't seen one irl so I wouldn't know for sure.

Anyway , clearly multiple pieces, veneer and scarf joint on the 2016 model:

Upgraded electronics to CTS pots and Emerson cap in this one. Also Tonerider Alnico Classic IV which was a major improvement over the original Epi pickups.

If the Epi Amos is priced around double the "standard" one, nothing else than solid two-piece-center-seam body and solid neck would defend that, imo.
    I haven't tried the Epi Probuckers, but the "Alnico Classics" originially in mine, were too muddy, dark and without definition.
    Last edited by Keefoman; 12-05-17 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Misspell

There've been a lot of choices in "hey, Gibson got it right this time" korina Vs over the years-from the Epis of a few years ago, thru the 80s reissues up to the Custom shop stuff. I'm on the fence about buying a $900 "well done" Epi, then putting $400 of pickups in it and maybe upgrading some hardware. Might one be better off finding a slightly cosmetically challenged 82-83 for $3k?

Some guy that knows a guy posting on TGP has no credibility to me. The Epi model specs have even less. I got to see them. That V looks nothing like the Epiphone site or the ones I personally held. Just like all the youtube videos of the 58 LTD, they all had scarf necks and one piece quartersaw veneer front and back. Nothing like the off biased center seam in the AMS picture, which is much nicer.

I'm only guessing, [hoping], that the high build quality of the Firebird will carry on with Amos. I cannot see any evidence of veneer on Amos.
    Well Al I put no stock in any of it, including your guess, because you're wishfully thinking just like I am. So I just wrote a letter to Epiphone's customer service department asking this....

Hello, I am very interested in purchasing an Epiphone Korina Flying V, but the construction of the guitars is a little confusing. Do any of the Korina models including the new Joe Bonamassa Amos model have...

1) Solid 2 piece bodies (no butcher block multi-piece with a veneer top)?

2) solid neck without scarf joint?

What I'm trying to steer away from is the butcher-block style construction of the previous V releases. And I especially don't want a scarf joint on the neck.

So let's see what they say. But I think if the new AMOS had proper build specs (2 piece body, no scarf joint), I think they would have talked it up on the Bonamassa marketing video.

^^^^ Epi V.

Epiphone is just all over the place with white wood specs. Pop the hood in a late 80's Sheraton then do the same for a new one. So many different factories in different countries contracted over the years.

It is very wishful thinking on the new V but who knows, IIRC the Firebird straight up listed as "9 Piece, Neck Thru" on the website before it was released.

As for sticking with a Gibson brand for the Korina guitar, I have noticed that lots of independent builders like Thorn, Wilson, Jagneaux, and more have built numerous Korina Gibby styles over the years, there's definitely a void there. And, now guys are asking 6K for those Heritage reissues from the early 80's. Not to mention guitars from other companies with Korina Gib-esque domestic builds like Dean/Hamer hold their value incredibly well on the used market, uhg.

If this new Epi V does have the 2 piece bod & 1 piece necks I'd guess they'll sell hotter than the Firebirds did.

The Musicians Friend site has nice hi-res pics of Amos. Of particular interest too me was besides the correct solid non veneer body it has the correct body ledge up over the heel. Looks impressive and way, way more authentic than the awful 83 Gibson, (good enough guitar, lousy replica and way overpriced), I may get a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post

^^^^ Epi V.

Epiphone is just all over the place with white wood specs. Pop the hood in a late 80's Sheraton then do the same for a new one. So many different factories in different countries contracted over the years.

It is very wishful thinking on the new V but who knows, IIRC the Firebird straight up listed as "9 Piece, Neck Thru" on the website before it was released.

As for sticking with a Gibson brand for the Korina guitar, I have noticed that lots of independent builders like Thorn, Wilson, Jagneaux, and more have built numerous Korina Gibby styles over the years, there's definitely a void there. And, now guys are asking 6K for those Heritage reissues from the early 80's. Not to mention guitars from other companies with Korina Gib-esque domestic builds like Dean/Hamer hold their value incredibly well on the used market, uhg.

If this new Epi V does have the 2 piece bod & 1 piece necks I'd guess they'll sell hotter than the Firebirds did.
    nice pics,
    cant get my head round that neck tenon though??
    is that a 2 piece neck?
    matching the grain of the 2 piece body???
    educate me -please,
    i'd love a V, but it would just be to say i've got one, cant justify buying one for that reason,
    cheers guys
    andy k

I too am on the fence about ordering one of these. I do own one of his Firebirds and think it is a great guitar for the price point.

I have been patiently waiting to see if Joe would weigh in on this thread. I'm sure he could set the record straight. How bout it Joe?
    Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    nice pics,
    cant get my head round that neck tenon though??
    is that a 2 piece neck?
    matching the grain of the 2 piece body???
    educate me -please,
    i'd love a V, but it would just be to say i've got one, cant justify buying one for that reason,
    cheers guys
    andy k
    I don't think it's a "long tenon." But, the body sure looks like a legit 2 piece. I was just pointing out how inconsistent they are...for better, or worse, depending on what you get! I also have no idea how an original looks "under the hood" and would love to see a resource with high quality pics/details.

Yep, if we could confirm 2 piece body, no veneer, I'd be in!

I don't know what that guitar is but it is not an epi 58LTD. I've seen a few in person as I said and that has a fake tenon, wrong color trim & finish and build. Looks more like a Hamer Vector Import. Check the Amos pics at MF.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...nside.1245874/

Thread from years back about the Epi ^^

Pic of the actual guitar in full ^^^

Epi V, made in Czech republic, if anyone didn't know they contracted guitars out of there here's the serial number info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone

I've seen other examples sold as such in the past, in fact here's one on ebay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Ko...YAAOSwIJlZ8fMo This one was made in Korea and possibly stolen from some one.
    Last edited by deytookerjaabs; 12-14-17 at 08:51 PM.

Last edited by deytookerjaabs; 12-14-17 at 09:46 PM.

I looked at those and I can't for the life of me decide if it's veneer or not. The crotch shot isn't straight on, but kinda looks like the grain of the body is different than the top?

After looking at the Musicians Friend photos, I called my guy at Sweetwater and put one on hold for me.

I also own of of JB's Firebirds and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality. Will either of these guitars take the place of my Aged Skinner or other fine higher priced and vintage guitars, probably not. But for that kind of money (<1K), what really are you expecting. I'll throw some Wizz pups in it and my guess is that it will scream. Playing a V is all about attitude, it will be fun to break out for a couple of songs a night!

Those on the fence can head on Reverb and shell out 6K for an early 80's V. MHO
    Game on!

Am I right in understanding that you only get the tickets if you buy directly off of Joe's website?

Quote Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
    Am I right in understanding that you only get the tickets if you buy directly off of Joe's website?
    If you buy from Joe's site you get meet and greet passes but no concert tickets. I think you also get some extra's like a signed photo of Joe on top of Arthur's Music.

Not me, someone else. From the JB Forum:

"I got an email on Friday 12/15 that the first 80 have arrived, and mine will be shipped on 12/16!"
    Game on!

They've got one at the Sam Ash here, I scoped it out for a couple minutes Saturday before a rehearsal.

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    They've got one at the Sam Ash here, I scoped it out for a couple minutes Saturday before a rehearsal.
    So, is it veneer or is it solid korina????

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast