The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Les Paul Forum Member

Re: New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
    Well, believe it or not, a "grand" is still a sizable amount of money to many people. As for me, I'm delighted with the guitar, minor issues notwithstanding. The look, tone and play-ability is outstanding, even for a much more expensive guitar, IMO.
    Of course it is!

It is to me as well considering I'm retired and living on Social Security (and my monthly income is less than two grand a month), but considering that it's an import (China?) you can't seriously expect to get American quality for such as price.

I have a 2016 Epiphone '58 V and it has a three piece body with veneer on the back & front, and there are people complaining about the body not being a solid or two piece body! The majority of American made Les Paul's are more than two pieces of wood.

I can understand someone getting a damaged instrument and wanting a replacement, but realistically some people are expecting too much for their money.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RicOkc View Post
    Of course it is!

It is to me as well considering I'm retired and living on Social Security (and my monthly income is less than two grand a month), but considering that it's an import (China?) you can't seriously expect to get American quality for such as price.

I have a 2016 Epiphone '58 V and it has a three piece body with veneer on the back & front, and there are people complaining about the body not being a solid or two piece body! The majority of American made Les Paul's are more than two pieces of wood.

I can understand someone getting a damaged instrument and wanting a replacement, but realistically some people are expecting too much for their money.
    Actually the "Amos" flying V is sourced from Indonesia.
    My guitar style is "islands of competence in a sea of mediocrity."

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
    I played that guitar! I'd agree that it sounds great, is light, has a wonderful feeling neck, and the cracking in the finish is a non-issue really. Did they sell it to you for $800? Also, for that price, it's a really nice case. All that said, I'm pretty sure that one IS a veneer, I looked it over pretty carefully. Doesn't matter, though, it's a killer guitar! If I didn't have an 83 Korina V, it would have come home with me...
    The neck was significantly bowed back but after a week of fine adjustments and a humidity controlled environment, the neck is laser straight! I'm very glad you didn't buy it! I'm never selling this V (less $800 out the door).

According to Cremer Guitarworks it's not a veneer, though you can think what you want. Maybe some are and some aren't but I'm beginning to believe the one I got is particularly special in overall spec. Admittedly I haven't played any other's but now that it's setup it's more than I could ask for. It's definitely on par with my '80 Lothson V. The Epiphone is a diamond in the rough and a sweet breath of fresh air in the world of new guitars. They sing beautifully together and after some minor tweaks and upgrades I'll likely be officially replacing Lothson with the Epiphone as my main V. Just remember, two V's are better than one!
    Last edited by ADP; 04-11-18 at 04:18 PM.
    2014 R8 VOS Sunburst - 2001 R4-JB Oxblood - 1984 Explorer - 2002 Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top - 1995 Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster - 1952 Telecaster - Victoria #0000 "Prototype Sovereign" - Victoria "Prototype All American Hero" - Manlay Sound Superbender - Vox CryBaby - Klon - Topanga - Mu-Tron 3x - Echoplex

Les Paul Forum Member

Last edited by ADP; 04-08-18 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Delete
    2014 R8 VOS Sunburst - 2001 R4-JB Oxblood - 1984 Explorer - 2002 Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top - 1995 Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster - 1952 Telecaster - Victoria #0000 "Prototype Sovereign" - Victoria "Prototype All American Hero" - Manlay Sound Superbender - Vox CryBaby - Klon - Topanga - Mu-Tron 3x - Echoplex

What's better thant TWO Korina Vs?

Two Korina Vs and a Korina Explorer!

Congrats, I'm glad it's a good one! Oh and also congrats on a great price!

Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar

I got invited to play at a special "invitation only" jam with some great players last night.
    My buddy Jack Pearson was playing one of these. Sounded great!

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

What's the chances he picked up the one at Sam Ash that I scoped out earlier in the thread?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    What's the chances he picked up the one at Sam Ash that I scoped out earlier in the thread?
    I wouldn't doubt it at all! ha

Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    I got invited to play at a special "invitation only" jam with some great players last night.
    My buddy Jack Pearson was playing one of these. Sounded great!

Looks great!

Les Paul Forum Member

Here's an update on my sweet Korina Amos:
    I had to custom order an all-gold switch and jack from Switchcraft, they were a lot more difficult to find than I anticipated. I also added vintage spec shielded cloth cable and the CTS pots with gold pointers.

The Seymour Duncan Amos pickups sound like any PAF copy I've had; true enough to what I would assume the real ones sound like. The bridge doesn't seem to have as much output as the stock pickup but it is very clear, bright, and articulate, overall a more musical tone. I installed DiMarzio brand pickup rings which required no additional drilling, however I needed longer screws. These pickup rings are taller and more vintage correct, I think they're the icing on the cake along with the gold pointers to making this guitar look as 1958 as possible. The knobs I ordered from reverb.com. I think they look pretty good.

All that is left is to get a set of gold knurled washers for the bridge posts. I've decided the bridge is not the weak point, but the threaded shafts themselves. All Parts sells just the knurled washers alone so for $9 I can solidify the base of the shaft. By tightening one washer to the body (or pickguard on the other side) the threads will tighten in the plug. The other washer can then be used to adjust the bridge height. I believe this will make a noticeable difference in the end, just as the rest of these upgrades have put this guitar on par with all of my Custom Shop Les Paul's and vintage guitars.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
    Took care of the low Epi frets, too.

Bob
    man i hate them epiphone low frets !!!!

Les Paul Forum Member CoyotesGator's Avatar
    The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous

Well...

I bought one.

A Blemish, can't find it whatever it was!

[IMG]IMG_2058 by robert ellwood, on Flickr[/IMG]

Just a little leg for y'all!
    As I see it, I serve the beat. Groove is everything.

Big Al

Got one for 749 euros. Guitar arrived in good shape. Two-piece body and very nice fretboard and fretwork. The neck is on the thin side though, almost a 1960 gibson profile. Strings were completely dead and the action way low. Intonation was good and neck almost straith. It plays well but needs new strings. The topend is very pleasant and the accustic tone is good. Seems to be a good blues-rock guitar
    http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband

LP std; tokai LS-320 ES155 SG155; Shiro ES175; G6131MY w/tvclassics; warmoth hollow esq.; strat

Metro jtm45 jtm50 jmp50; Clark 6G6B Rockford Reverb; Lil Dawg Champster; Alessandro Rottweiler; Ceriatone Express Comet 60

Now i had mine for about 6 months...

Had rather high hopes on this one and it doesn't disappoint me. Been with me in studio and gigs.

The neck (which for me is the most important thing) is perfect and pickups are great!

100% stock (except strings) and i feel there's no need for change.

Well done Epiphone!!!

Just got one from Haggerty's Music is South Dakota.

Great neck, great weight, great pickups. Two piece body, no visible veneers. Clear overdriven bridge tone that I love. I don't see changing anything on her. Finally a quality Korina V that I can afford!

Anyone have issues with the placement of the "upper" strap pin? It seems to work well but a lot of folks (JB included) seem to place one in the center of the heel itself. Seems well balanced as it is, and with a strap lock (Grolsch ring) it ain't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Just got one from Haggerty's Music is South Dakota.

Great neck, great weight, great pickups. Two piece body, no visible veneers. Clear overdriven bridge tone that I love. I don't see changing anything on her. Finally a quality Korina V that I can afford!

Anyone have issues with the placement of the "upper" strap pin? It seems to work well but a lot of folks (JB included) seem to place one in the center of the heel itself. Seems well balanced as it is, and with a strap lock (Grolsch ring) it ain't going anywhere.
    I’ve debated putting a strap button on the heel as well. Ergonomically, I think it might make it more balanced and comfortable to play standing up. Haven’t made up my mind yet I though.

I'm also debating it. the pickups seem surprisingly good
    http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband

LP std; tokai LS-320 ES155 SG155; Shiro ES175; G6131MY w/tvclassics; warmoth hollow esq.; strat

Metro jtm45 jtm50 jmp50; Clark 6G6B Rockford Reverb; Lil Dawg Champster; Alessandro Rottweiler; Ceriatone Express Comet 60

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567