• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

RicOkc

Well, believe it or not, a "grand" is still a sizable amount of money to many people. As for me, I'm delighted with the guitar, minor issues notwithstanding. The look, tone and play-ability is outstanding, even for a much more expensive guitar, IMO.

Of course it is!

It is to me as well considering I'm retired and living on Social Security (and my monthly income is less than two grand a month), but considering that it's an import (China?) you can't seriously expect to get American quality for such as price.

I have a 2016 Epiphone '58 V and it has a three piece body with veneer on the back & front, and there are people complaining about the body not being a solid or two piece body! The majority of American made Les Paul's are more than two pieces of wood.

I can understand someone getting a damaged instrument and wanting a replacement, but realistically some people are expecting too much for their money.

Uncle Gary

Of course it is!

It is to me as well considering I'm retired and living on Social Security (and my monthly income is less than two grand a month), but considering that it's an import (China?) you can't seriously expect to get American quality for such as price.

I have a 2016 Epiphone '58 V and it has a three piece body with veneer on the back & front, and there are people complaining about the body not being a solid or two piece body! The majority of American made Les Paul's are more than two pieces of wood.

I can understand someone getting a damaged instrument and wanting a replacement, but realistically some people are expecting too much for their money.

Actually the "Amos" flying V is sourced from Indonesia.

ADP

I played that guitar! I'd agree that it sounds great, is light, has a wonderful feeling neck, and the cracking in the finish is a non-issue really. Did they sell it to you for $800? Also, for that price, it's a really nice case. All that said, I'm pretty sure that one IS a veneer, I looked it over pretty carefully. Doesn't matter, though, it's a killer guitar! If I didn't have an 83 Korina V, it would have come home with me...
The neck was significantly bowed back but after a week of fine adjustments and a humidity controlled environment, the neck is laser straight! I'm very glad you didn't buy it! I'm never selling this V (less $800 out the door).

According to Cremer Guitarworks it's not a veneer, though you can think what you want. Maybe some are and some aren't but I'm beginning to believe the one I got is particularly special in overall spec. Admittedly I haven't played any other's but now that it's setup it's more than I could ask for. It's definitely on par with my '80 Lothson V. The Epiphone is a diamond in the rough and a sweet breath of fresh air in the world of new guitars. They sing beautifully together and after some minor tweaks and upgrades I'll likely be officially replacing Lothson with the Epiphone as my main V. Just remember, two V's are better than one!
XB3dQDE.jpg

Last edited:

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
What's better thant TWO Korina Vs?

Two Korina Vs and a Korina Explorer!

Congrats, I'm glad it's a good one! Oh and also congrats on a great price!

Strings Jr.

I got invited to play at a special "invitation only" jam with some great players last night.
My buddy Jack Pearson was playing one of these. Sounded great!

deytookerjaabs

What's the chances he picked up the one at Sam Ash that I scoped out earlier in the thread? :laugh2:

ADP

Here's an update on my sweet Korina Amos:
I had to custom order an all-gold switch and jack from Switchcraft, they were a lot more difficult to find than I anticipated. I also added vintage spec shielded cloth cable and the CTS pots with gold pointers.

The Seymour Duncan Amos pickups sound like any PAF copy I've had; true enough to what I would assume the real ones sound like. The bridge doesn't seem to have as much output as the stock pickup but it is very clear, bright, and articulate, overall a more musical tone. I installed DiMarzio brand pickup rings which required no additional drilling, however I needed longer screws. These pickup rings are taller and more vintage correct, I think they're the icing on the cake along with the gold pointers to making this guitar look as 1958 as possible. The knobs I ordered from reverb.com. I think they look pretty good.

ZdfUe7j.jpg

CsK4q5P.jpg

D2eJcBE.jpg

cbWXmZz.jpg

vQfCLuh.jpg

FUH6aT3.jpg

All that is left is to get a set of gold knurled washers for the bridge posts. I've decided the bridge is not the weak point, but the threaded shafts themselves. All Parts sells just the knurled washers alone so for $9 I can solidify the base of the shaft. By tightening one washer to the body (or pickguard on the other side) the threads will tighten in the plug. The other washer can then be used to adjust the bridge height. I believe this will make a noticeable difference in the end, just as the rest of these upgrades have put this guitar on par with all of my Custom Shop Les Paul's and vintage guitars.

Roe

Got one for 749 euros. Guitar arrived in good shape. Two-piece body and very nice fretboard and fretwork. The neck is on the thin side though, almost a 1960 gibson profile. Strings were completely dead and the action way low. Intonation was good and neck almost straith. It plays well but needs new strings. The topend is very pleasant and the accustic tone is good. Seems to be a good blues-rock guitar

viper007

Now i had mine for about 6 months...

Had rather high hopes on this one and it doesn't disappoint me. Been with me in studio and gigs.

The neck (which for me is the most important thing) is perfect and pickups are great!

100% stock (except strings) and i feel there's no need for change.

Well done Epiphone!!!

[url=https://postimg.cc/image/gcyvz4617/][/URL]

Warren

Just got one from Haggerty's Music is South Dakota.

Amos_Flying_V.jpg

Great neck, great weight, great pickups. Two piece body, no visible veneers. Clear overdriven bridge tone that I love. I don't see changing anything on her. Finally a quality Korina V that I can afford!

Anyone have issues with the placement of the "upper" strap pin? It seems to work well but a lot of folks (JB included) seem to place one in the center of the heel itself. Seems well balanced as it is, and with a strap lock (Grolsch ring) it ain't going anywhere.

Stephens

Just got one from Haggerty's Music is South Dakota.

Amos_Flying_V.jpg

Great neck, great weight, great pickups. Two piece body, no visible veneers. Clear overdriven bridge tone that I love. I don't see changing anything on her. Finally a quality Korina V that I can afford!

Anyone have issues with the placement of the "upper" strap pin? It seems to work well but a lot of folks (JB included) seem to place one in the center of the heel itself. Seems well balanced as it is, and with a strap lock (Grolsch ring) it ain't going anywhere.

I’ve debated putting a strap button on the heel as well. Ergonomically, I think it might make it more balanced and comfortable to play standing up. Haven’t made up my mind yet I though.

Roe

I'm also debating it. the pickups seem surprisingly good

Roe

I moved the strap button and am contemplating an alnico 5 neck pickup magnet

stephan_l

After 3 month waiting i received mine today. I can compare "Amos" directly with two Historic Les Paul and a Les Paul Custom from 1981, some Gibson Explorer made of mahogany. All i can say is, if you can grap one, do it. My english is to bad for complicated sentence......so in short: i cant find a single flaw in craftmansship, the pickups are great, the guitar is ringing in a fat way like the best Les Pauls i have heard or played myself. Neck size is perfect, the frets are Jumbo size, very cool. I cant tell if the body has a veneer or not, but it looks great.

Im a Les Paul player and to me "Amos" feels so close to the best Les Paul I own (a Cloud9 from 2007), its fantastic.

Keefoman

After 3 month waiting i received mine today. I can compare "Amos" directly with two Historic Les Paul and a Les Paul Custom from 1981, some Gibson Explorer made of mahogany. All i can say is, if you can grap one, do it. My english is to bad for complicated sentence......so in short: i cant find a single flaw in craftmansship, the pickups are great, the guitar is ringing in a fat way like the best Les Pauls i have heard or played myself. Neck size is perfect, the frets are Jumbo size, very cool. I cant tell if the body has a veneer or not, but it looks great.

Im a Les Paul player and to me "Amos" feels so close to the best Les Paul I own (a Cloud9 from 2007), its fantastic.

Good ol' swedish Johan seems to agree with you. Congrats on a sweet V! :)

Last edited: