• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

deytookerjaabs

So, is it veneer or is it solid korina????

Well, I'll give a full impression. First off, the guitar looks really cool, maybe it's just me but I feel like the color is different from the regular model I tried a week or two back, maybe it's the lettering/logos as well. But, it sticks out on the wall in a good way. Of course, it was fresh out the box but it was full on glossed to the hilt on the buffing wheel. So were the frets, well polished, the whole thing was shinier than a stepmom's cubic zirconia.

As for the wood details, the one at Sam Ash was veneer but it's hard to tell for that matter, it's well done, body looked to be seamed in the center underneath which gives it a better look/match. I'm not astute enough to comment on whether the base wood was actual korina but it matched up very well. Oddly, the neck seemed a bit slimmer than the neck on the regular '58 if not identical? I thought it was going be fatter than it was just going off the change in advertising. Obviously I can't speak for the neck set as to whether it goes between the pickups like the originals did (do we have a term for that here? if not may I submit fantabulous uber long tenon?).

When plugged in, the guitar had a bit more top end in all positions than the other reissue which I'm guessing is the change in pickups. Sounds like a V! I can't describe how a V sounds properly but to take a stab it's like they miss all the low mid but they can still have a bluesy bottom end. Back to the neck though, I don't know, I call it the "asian C" and for whatever reason to me it has a very un-Gibson feel to the carve, fret ends, fret profile and whole package.

I'm in the market for a 50's style V, I have a wonderful '74 already but like it so much I figure it'd be silly not to have a backup string through with the original style neck set dimensions but not necessarily Korina since solid Korina is apparently worth it's weight in gold. Just for fun as they sound/feel a bit different.

Just a note of caution if anyone buys a V online for the first time, the regular V case is already big, but the more rectangular 50's style are simply huge, on par with a Jazz Bass.

Stephens

deytookerjaabs said:
Just a note of caution if anyone buys a V online for the first time, the regular V case is already big, but the more rectangular 50's style are simply huge, on par with a Jazz Bass.

Good to know. The JB Firebird hard case is gigantic too.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
Well, it sounds like a cool guitar, but I guess I'm not ready to jump. Maybe I'll just stick with my 83 for now...

Stephens

Received my Amos Flying V today. Definitely a keeper! I can't find a single veneer seam on the body- it definitely looks like two pieces of Korina like on an original. The neck also appears to be of solid Korina, not maple. The headstock does appear to have some type of scarf joint, but I pretty much expected that. The pickups sound fantastic when compared to my R9, I don't plan on doing a replacement anytime soon – they can really scream when they want to. Needs a better set of strings and a proper set up, going to start that now...

akstrat61

Received my Amos Flying V today. Definitely a keeper! I can't find a single veneer seam on the body- it definitely looks like two pieces of Korina like on an original. The neck also appears to be of solid Korina, not maple. The headstock does appear to have some type of scarf joint, but I pretty much expected that. The pickups sound fantastic when compared to my R9, I don't plan on doing a replacement anytime soon – they can really scream when they want to. Needs a better set of strings and a proper set up, going to start that now...

Very cool report!:dude:

Glad to know about the wood and pickups. Mines on order and hope to have it soon!:jim

deytookerjaabs

That's great! Maybe my eyes were deceiving me. Did you check "under the hood" to see if the heel extended between the pickups like the old ones?

Stephens

That's great! Maybe my eyes were deceiving me. Did you check "under the hood" to see if the heel extended between the pickups like the old ones?

I did not pull the pick up out. I did however have to pull up the control cavity and tighten up one of the volume pots, and I was able to see from there as well that there was not a veneer top.

Thundermtn

It's sounding like I may end up being a V collector! How many do you need before you have to admit there's a problem?

Looking forward to more pics, any chance for a tone video?

deytookerjaabs

I did not pull the pick up out. I did however have to pull up the control cavity and tighten up one of the volume pots, and I was able to see from there as well that there was not a veneer top.

Thanks for the info, I thought I couldn't see matching ends of the grain lines on the one at Sam Ash but I have my moments! :hee

I remember the first time I tried to put my V in my trunk before a show; huh, nope, no, maybe this way, hmm, maybe this way, no, damn, awe hell to the backseat with you!

Stephens

It's sounding like I may end up being a V collector! How many do you need before you have to admit there's a problem?

Looking forward to more pics, any chance for a tone video?

I haven't done much with posting videos. Maybe I can try to put something together to showcase the V and my shitty playing 😉

Stephens

I haven't done much with posting videos. Maybe I can try to put something together to showcase the V and my shitty playing 😉

I just posted quick video for y'all. Thought I'd just showcase how the neck and bridge pickups sound (I switched halfway through). Just plugged in to my 1974x set to a lower volume (to prevent my iPhone camera from distorting) and using my OCD for the overdrive.

https://youtu.be/ggRFIUdFSmg

Thundermtn

Dude! That things sounds killer and your playing was right on the money! Congrats on your new Epic-phone. Now I have GAS worse than before.

Stephens

Dude! That things sounds killer and your playing was right on the money! Congrats on your new Epic-phone. Now I have GAS worse than before.

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it 🤘

I'm really digging this guitar right now. Definitely has a unique voice compared to a Les Paul or ES style guitar.

The middle position sounds great too!

sws1

I just posted quick video for y'all. Thought I'd just showcase how the neck and bridge pickups sound (I switched halfway through). Just plugged in to my 1974x set to a lower volume (to prevent my iPhone camera from distorting) and using my OCD for the overdrive.

https://youtu.be/ggRFIUdFSmg

Crap. Now you got me interested. It definitely sounds distinctive, which is the reason for wanting one of these. Sounded Korina-V-ish to me.

Stephens

Nice playying great sound !

Thank you! I'm just really enjoying this guitar. I've wanted a Korina V for many years but all other Korina V iterations were either way too expensive, or not the build quality I was looking for. It's great to have this one for sure! 🤘