• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

The Guitar Hunter

Thank you! I'm just really enjoying this guitar. I've wanted a Korina V for many years but all other Korina V iterations were either way too expensive, or not the build quality I was looking for. It's great to have this one for sure! 🤘

Great playing and the guitar sounds good. I placed my order for one and you may or may not have been a contributing factor :spabout

sws1

Dang. I was going to prepay my real estate taxes today instead.

I'm happy it doesn't just sound like a vanilla 2-humbucker guitar.

pkessler1

I received mine last night but there is a crack in the clear finish that starts near where the base of the 10th fret is at in the fretboard and goes about halfway around the back of the neck. I live in Illinois and we have been having some really cold weather so when I picked it up from the UPS store I let it sit in the packaging for about two hours before opening it up. It was shipped in a large box with paper cushioning inside it where another Epiphone box was that contained the guitar and case.

The static cling type clear plastic protectors on the pickups and pick guard had a slight bit of fog/condensation on it when I opened the case for the guitar so I closed it back up for two more hours and when I opened it back up everything was normal. But when I took it out to look at it and turned it over to look at the back I noticed the crack in the finish. Anyone had any experience with Epiphone Support? I have contacted them to report the issue but would appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

I'm concerned that since this is a limited run that I will have to send it back for repair. But it doesn't look like the finish is nitro and instead may be some sort of polyurethane dip. If that is the case I'm worried that any repair they try to make will be fairly obvious. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

P.S. After doing some research over my lunch hour it doesn't sound like this is something that can be repaired easily due to the hard/brittle nature of the poly coating. Hopefully Epiphone will have a replacement they can send but considering it was a limited run who knows. Pretty disappointing for me since this is my first guitar purchase of this $ amount. I've stuck to the lower value guitars before this purchase because I'm not terribly talented and didn't see the value in spending big money. But decided to go for it since I am a Joe Bonamassa fan and really liked the story behind the Amos guitar.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:

Uncle Gary

Yep, if we could confirm 2 piece body, no veneer, I'd be in!

Okay, I actually held one of these Amos model Flying Vs in my hot little hands yesterday. I can confirm it's definitely a two piece, center seamed body (no veneers). At least the one I played was. Neck is rounded and an on the "largish" side, similar to a Gibson Flying V Custom they also had in stock. Build actually looked good. The only disappointment was that it was quite heavy. I didn't weigh it, but I'd estimate it was in the 8 pound range, heavy for a "V".

Thundermtn

I wouldn't worry too much about a replacement this early on. My Brent Hinds V has had at least two "limited runs", strong sales may prompt more guitars from Epiphone. Still sucks it was messed up, maybe the cold, maybe rough handling in the busy time of years for shippers. Hope it works out.

Sounds like these are mostly what we had been hoping for, the weight is a little much for a V but more weight and a thick neck may also mean better tone vs. the normal Epi. offerings.

TM1

So, is it veneer or is it solid korina????

My guy @ Sweetwater told me it's pieces of Korina covered with veneer and has a scarf joint. Both a things that will keep me from buying one. The Firebird was one thing since the originals were 11 piece neck thru body construction. But this guitar should be 4 pieces of wood(2-piece body, center seam, one piece neck with fingerboard).. Too bad. If they ever do make a run of these with real two piece Korina, one piece neck sans Scarf joint and real rosewood fingerboard, I'll be right there first in-line to buy it.

akstrat61

Okay, I can confirm it's definitely a two piece, center seamed body (no veneers). At least the one I played was.

This is a second in-hand report. Good to hear! No reports of veneers of people who have them in hand!:hank

In terms of the cracked finish, I too live in a cold climate. When ever I receive a guitar in the winter, I always let it sit inside for 24 hours before opening the box. I the vintage world there aren't and "do overs"!!:dude:

aFriendbFrosty

Hey everyone. I've gotten help from some forum posts before so I thought I'd add my experience.

Received my V yesterday, from Sweetwater.

I'm in the veneer camp with a two-piece body, even though they did a crazy-good job matching things up. It's very tough to notice the difference. So basically, korina tonewood with the pretty finish on top (at least, that's what I think).

My model was a bit obvious ONLY because there is a streak of black that is visible on the edge of the V cut. It's so close to the top, that the black streak should be visible on the top but it's not.

The other giveaway is far more subtle. The backside, near the lower V bout's edge, shows a bit of fraying under the finish. Kinda like a very small piece of the veneer broke off (maybe during sanding???). You have to really look for it and even then you could miss it.

Regardless, it really does feel like a great guitar. Neck is comfortable, balances well and sounds great. I bought this primarily because of how well the Firebird had turned out. And the veneer doesn't really bother me, knowing the body is two-piece.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Personally, I'll be keeping mine once I get a good replacement. Mine came with finish cracks along the neck joint. Not gonna chance it, even if it does play well.

Big Al

It's two piece center seamed solid limba. Why veneer? The center seam on veneer joints is never as tight as these appear.

akstrat61

Can someone post a picture of what they believe is a veneer?:hank

aFriendbFrosty

Can someone post a picture of what they believe is a veneer?:hank

Here's what I mentioned in my post.
VJM4Ll6.jpg
E0iJYrM.jpg

Big Al

That certainty is veneered. It also appears to have a correct bias cut center seam body, so why?? Asian logic I guess.

akstrat61

Might have been wishful thinking on my part? Oh well, hopefully it will sound decent!:hank

Stephens

Interesting....I've looked over every single angle on mine and even had the control plate off to tighten up the pots, and I cannot see any evidence of a veneer. If it is veneer- they're getting crazy good at it. Either way, it got the look and tone I had hoped for! 🤘

aFriendbFrosty

For the most part, the veneer is matched up really well. And if it hadn't been for the cracks at the neck joint, I would have kept it.

I am curious to see what my replacement V will look like. If I'm lucky it'll ship out some time this week.

Big Al

I had to pass. As Rockabilly 69 said I was wishfull thinking and the veneer is what I do not want. My Treasure FB I is such a nice guitar and so much more authentic than Amos. Too bad, but I really rather not as I'm not a V fanatic and can buy much better guitars for that kinda dough. Now if I was a 50's V fanboy it might be different.

rockabilly69

I had to pass. As Rockabilly 69 said I was wishfull thinking
And as I said before, I was right there with ya big one! Btw, Epiphone customer service never answered my request for info. So I'm going to pass too! But to ease your pain here's some great V licks served up vintage style by Kim Simmons....