• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

Big Al

My post was a responce to 58lovers first run issue

Some guy that knows a guy posting on TGP has no credibility to me. The Epi model specs have even less. I got to see them.

That V looks nothing like the Epiphone site or the ones I personally held. Just like all the youtube videos of the 58 LTD, they all had scarf necks and one piece quartersaw veneer front and back. Nothing like the off biased center seam in the AMS picture, which is much nicer.

I'm only guessing, [hoping], that the high build quality of the Firebird will carry on with Amos. I cannot see any evidence of veneer on Amos.

Keefoman

I've got the 2016 Epi Ltd. Ed. Korina V. I've read somewhere that these differs a bit from the previous Korina model, but I haven't seen one irl so I wouldn't know for sure.

Anyway , clearly multiple pieces, veneer and scarf joint on the 2016 model:

Upgraded electronics to CTS pots and Emerson cap in this one. Also Tonerider Alnico Classic IV which was a major improvement over the original Epi pickups.

If the Epi Amos is priced around double the "standard" one, nothing else than solid two-piece-center-seam body and solid neck would defend that, imo.
I haven't tried the Epi Probuckers, but the "Alnico Classics" originially in mine, were too muddy, dark and without definition.

Last edited:

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
There've been a lot of choices in "hey, Gibson got it right this time" korina Vs over the years-from the Epis of a few years ago, thru the 80s reissues up to the Custom shop stuff. I'm on the fence about buying a $900 "well done" Epi, then putting $400 of pickups in it and maybe upgrading some hardware. Might one be better off finding a slightly cosmetically challenged 82-83 for $3k?

rockabilly69

Some guy that knows a guy posting on TGP has no credibility to me. The Epi model specs have even less. I got to see them. That V looks nothing like the Epiphone site or the ones I personally held. Just like all the youtube videos of the 58 LTD, they all had scarf necks and one piece quartersaw veneer front and back. Nothing like the off biased center seam in the AMS picture, which is much nicer.

I'm only guessing, [hoping], that the high build quality of the Firebird will carry on with Amos. I cannot see any evidence of veneer on Amos.

Well Al I put no stock in any of it, including your guess, because you're wishfully thinking just like I am. So I just wrote a letter to Epiphone's customer service department asking this....

Hello, I am very interested in purchasing an Epiphone Korina Flying V, but the construction of the guitars is a little confusing. Do any of the Korina models including the new Joe Bonamassa Amos model have...

1) Solid 2 piece bodies (no butcher block multi-piece with a veneer top)?

2) solid neck without scarf joint?

What I'm trying to steer away from is the butcher-block style construction of the previous V releases. And I especially don't want a scarf joint on the neck.

So let's see what they say. But I think if the new AMOS had proper build specs (2 piece body, no scarf joint), I think they would have talked it up on the Bonamassa marketing video.

deytookerjaabs

foto_zpsf03b7302.jpg

foto_zps78a0fe4a.jpg

^^^^ Epi V.

Epiphone is just all over the place with white wood specs. Pop the hood in a late 80's Sheraton then do the same for a new one. So many different factories in different countries contracted over the years.

It is very wishful thinking on the new V but who knows, IIRC the Firebird straight up listed as "9 Piece, Neck Thru" on the website before it was released.

As for sticking with a Gibson brand for the Korina guitar, I have noticed that lots of independent builders like Thorn, Wilson, Jagneaux, and more have built numerous Korina Gibby styles over the years, there's definitely a void there. And, now guys are asking 6K for those Heritage reissues from the early 80's. Not to mention guitars from other companies with Korina Gib-esque domestic builds like Dean/Hamer hold their value incredibly well on the used market, uhg.

If this new Epi V does have the 2 piece bod & 1 piece necks I'd guess they'll sell hotter than the Firebirds did.

Big Al

The Musicians Friend site has nice hi-res pics of Amos. Of particular interest too me was besides the correct solid non veneer body it has the correct body ledge up over the heel. Looks impressive and way, way more authentic than the awful 83 Gibson, (good enough guitar, lousy replica and way overpriced), I may get a pair.

andy k

foto_zpsf03b7302.jpg

foto_zps78a0fe4a.jpg

^^^^ Epi V.

Epiphone is just all over the place with white wood specs. Pop the hood in a late 80's Sheraton then do the same for a new one. So many different factories in different countries contracted over the years.

It is very wishful thinking on the new V but who knows, IIRC the Firebird straight up listed as "9 Piece, Neck Thru" on the website before it was released.

As for sticking with a Gibson brand for the Korina guitar, I have noticed that lots of independent builders like Thorn, Wilson, Jagneaux, and more have built numerous Korina Gibby styles over the years, there's definitely a void there. And, now guys are asking 6K for those Heritage reissues from the early 80's. Not to mention guitars from other companies with Korina Gib-esque domestic builds like Dean/Hamer hold their value incredibly well on the used market, uhg.

If this new Epi V does have the 2 piece bod & 1 piece necks I'd guess they'll sell hotter than the Firebirds did.

nice pics,
cant get my head round that neck tenon though??
is that a 2 piece neck?
matching the grain of the 2 piece body???
educate me -please,
i'd love a V, but it would just be to say i've got one, cant justify buying one for that reason,
cheers guys
andy k

akstrat61

I too am on the fence about ordering one of these. I do own one of his Firebirds and think it is a great guitar for the price point.:jim

I have been patiently waiting to see if Joe would weigh in on this thread. I'm sure he could set the record straight. How bout it Joe?:hmm

deytookerjaabs

nice pics,
cant get my head round that neck tenon though??
is that a 2 piece neck?
matching the grain of the 2 piece body???
educate me -please,
i'd love a V, but it would just be to say i've got one, cant justify buying one for that reason,
cheers guys
andy k

I don't think it's a "long tenon." But, the body sure looks like a legit 2 piece. I was just pointing out how inconsistent they are...for better, or worse, depending on what you get! I also have no idea how an original looks "under the hood" and would love to see a resource with high quality pics/details.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
Yep, if we could confirm 2 piece body, no veneer, I'd be in!

Big Al

I don't know what that guitar is but it is not an epi 58LTD. I've seen a few in person as I said and that has a fake tenon, wrong color trim & finish and build. Looks more like a Hamer Vector Import. Check the Amos pics at MF.

deytookerjaabs

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ike-solid-korina-big-pictures-inside.1245874/

Thread from years back about the Epi ^^

foto_zps320ea734.jpg

Pic of the actual guitar in full ^^^

Epi V, made in Czech republic, if anyone didn't know they contracted guitars out of there here's the serial number info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone

I've seen other examples sold as such in the past, in fact here's one on ebay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-K...002328?hash=item3f8e757658:g:jsYAAOSwIJlZ8fMo This one was made in Korea and possibly stolen from some one.

Last edited:

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I looked at those and I can't for the life of me decide if it's veneer or not. The crotch shot isn't straight on, but kinda looks like the grain of the body is different than the top?

akstrat61

After looking at the Musicians Friend photos, I called my guy at Sweetwater and put one on hold for me.:salude

I also own of of JB's Firebirds and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality. Will either of these guitars take the place of my Aged Skinner or other fine higher priced and vintage guitars, probably not. But for that kind of money (<1K), what really are you expecting. I'll throw some Wizz pups in it and my guess is that it will scream. Playing a V is all about attitude, it will be fun to break out for a couple of songs a night!:dude:

Those on the fence can head on Reverb and shell out 6K for an early 80's V.:hmm MHO

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
Am I right in understanding that you only get the tickets if you buy directly off of Joe's website?

Stephens

Am I right in understanding that you only get the tickets if you buy directly off of Joe's website?

If you buy from Joe's site you get meet and greet passes but no concert tickets. I think you also get some extra's like a signed photo of Joe on top of Arthur's Music.

akstrat61

Not me, someone else. From the JB Forum:

"I got an email on Friday 12/15 that the first 80 have arrived, and mine will be shipped on 12/16!"

deytookerjaabs

They've got one at the Sam Ash here, I scoped it out for a couple minutes Saturday before a rehearsal.