• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Failed QC Gibson

wyleong

Just a sudden thought came out of my mine, what happened to those Gibson guitars that fail the QC?

elephantman

They used to sell them as factory seconds, but I don't remember the last time I saw one so I don't really know.

Glad I could help.

kwest

"[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All of Gibson's production shops have guitars that never make it to the end of the production line, for one reason or another ... finish flaws, a discoloration on the fretboard, a snapped headstock, a twisted or broken neck, etc.. Some guitars are never even completed and end up on the [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*disgard pile[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] even though [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]they may already have a serial number[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] stamped on the back of the headstock.[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From the disgard pile, guitar bodies go out to the wood chipper and the chips are then sold to Jack Daniel's Distilery to become the charcoal that they filter their whiskey through"[/FONT][/FONT]

Woodchipper_1.jpg

J T

I'll bet some of that could be fixed. They just determine that it would cost them more to fix than they would make money on. Just toss it on the pile.

Why can't they just scratch off the Gibson name and burn a mark on them, then give them to wood shops at a local school for students to do something with? Then they can write that off as a donation, and the students get to fix real guitars. If the guitars get screwed up, so what? It's a learning experience chances are, the students are eager to learn, they could make a really nice guitar.

Maybe even of the kids get into it, it might just inspire them as a career path.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I'll bet some of that could be fixed. They just determine that it would cost them more to fix than they would make money on. Just toss it on the pile.

Why can't they just scratch off the Gibson name and burn a mark on them, then give them to wood shops at a local school for students to do something with? Then they can write that off as a donation, and the students get to fix real guitars. If the guitars get screwed up, so what? It's a learning experience chances are, the students are eager to learn, they could make a really nice guitar.

Maybe even of the kids get into it, it might just inspire them as a career path.

That just makes too much sense. :ganz

J T

That just makes too much sense. :ganz

It would be a win/win. Free publicity for Gibson, if they are interested, and kids may actually look up from their phone for more than ten seconds.

edselman

I thought all of the ones that didn't pass QC were sold at Guitar Center.:teeth

60'sGold

Going by the Gibsons that I see at local music stores, they are shipped out and sold for top dollar and then some.

garywright

It would be a win/win. Free publicity for Gibson, if they are interested, and kids may actually look up from their phone for more than ten seconds.

hey KIDS !!! ...experience that TRUE Gibson wood flavor from Jack Daniels :dance

marshall1987

"[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All of Gibson's production shops have guitars that never make it to the end of the production line, for one reason or another ... finish flaws, a discoloration on the fretboard, a snapped headstock, a twisted or broken neck, etc.. Some guitars are never even completed and end up on the [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*disgard pile[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] even though [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]they may already have a serial number[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] stamped on the back of the headstock.[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From the disgard pile, guitar bodies go out to the wood chipper and the chips are then sold to Jack Daniel's Distilery to become the charcoal that they filter their whiskey through"[/FONT][/FONT]

Woodchipper_1.jpg

Quite a lot of SGs in that scrap pile. Makes me want to go out and buy one. :dang

garywright

Hey Gary, could you email me a little larger version [not giant] of your kitty avatar pic, please? :)

sure will Tom ..that's two kittens we took in sleeping on my bed ..the pic is on my home computer and I'll send it in a couple days

Hayden

Hi Guys
I went on the factory tour in Memphis in 2011. The tour guide at that time said that the rejects where chipped.