• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1982 Les Paul Studio?

reyn3545

I received this guitar from my father. The serial number is 93022578, suggesting that it's a 1982. I see from other posts that the Studio didn't come on the market until 1983. It has a Studio rod cover, no Gibson logos on the knobs. The serial and "Made in USA" are on the back of the head stock, but VERY hard to read.

For you guys that know more than I do... what are your thoughts? Fake? XRIII? Something else? I appreciate your thoughts!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B86BCklowri0S1NrQUZlcWQ2QlU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B86BCklowri0czN5WU1oZlpWbUE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B86BCklowri0MGtYYTNYMDZBUFU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B86BCklowri0aVBTTjhwWHRiVHc

Last edited:

Don

That's a 1992 serial number. I had a 1993 just like it.

reyn3545

Whis is it that the most obvious answers are the ones I never consider? Thanks!

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Serial number code is YDDDYLSS

Y is year
D is day
L is location (over 500 is Nashville)
S is sequence

Zentar

Stick a set of SD Hot Rods in it. The thinner Studio body sounds better with the SH2 and SH4 in it than the 49s which was intended for the heavy Norlin bodies.

GenoBluzGtr

Yep. 1992. I have a 92 and it's an awesome guitar. I put a set of Seth Lovers in mine and upgraded the caps to orange drops. AWESOME. Sounds as good as any Les Paul I've every played. That's a keeper there.

Big Al

Stick a set of SD Hot Rods in it. The thinner Studio body sounds better with the SH2 and SH4 in it than the 49s which was intended for the heavy Norlin bodies.

What WHAT???? Some goofy shit there. If you are claiming that Gibson designed pickups for the weight of the guitar you are wrong. Why claim such bs as if it is true?

So a pickup Gibson used then on almost every electric from full hollow bodies to lightweight SG's as well as Les Pauls was somehow designed only for heavy weights? NO, NUH UH, NADA.

A pickup my friend Seymour designed for after market install on Norlin Era Les Pauls somehow is for lightweights?
Have you weighed early 90's Studios? They are heavy.
Where did the op ask for pickup advise?

Stick to truth and fact there is way too much bullshit spread around as fact going on lately.

Zentar

Hey Big Al. You better stop drinking Lake Ontario water. It apparently has a lot of Mercury in it judging by your hyperactivity.

Wilko

WTF Zentar. He's right. Making shit up that wasn't even asked for.

Big Al

Hey Big Al. You better stop drinking Lake Ontario water. It apparently has a lot of Mercury in it judging by your hyperactivity.

Maybe, we are in flood. But you my friend have a habit of posting outright falsehoods as fact. Either the book your using for info is wrong, or you misread it. It is OK to say "I'm not sure", or "I don't know".

Just seems to me that posting what you know is true works best.

SpencerD

I have a Les Paul XRIII. Bought it from some dude who needed some money,1983. Got the guitar and a Rockman X100 for $350. Fat score!

I saw the guy who sold me that gear later,in buttloads of Bon Jovi videos! :hee:dude: It was Sambora. That's kinda funny.

Full disclosure --- I broke the headstock real bad a few years later. It's pretty much ruined and has been for a long time. Velvet Brick pickups. Still have it but I don't know why.

Last edited:

Zentar

Maybe, we are in flood. But you my friend have a habit of posting outright falsehoods as fact. Either the book your using for info is wrong, or you misread it. It is OK to say "I'm not sure", or "I don't know".

Just seems to me that posting what you know is true works best.

I've never heard 490/498 sound decent in any guitar. I recommend removing them and trashing them. Don't sell them because you're just making somebody elses guitar sound like crap.

Wilko

A '92 studio has a body that is the same thickness as all standard Les Paul models, so no, there is no discernable sound difference in what kind of pickups you want to use.

whether or not zentar likes 490/498 is a completely unrelated and subjective opinion--and fueled by speculation (read, bullshit)

a 490 sounded pretty fucking great in my 1991 Herb Ellis.

Kris Ford

A '92 studio has a body that is the same thickness as all standard Les Paul models, so no, there is no discernable sound difference in what kind of pickups you want to use.

whether or not zentar likes 490/498 is a completely unrelated and subjective opinion--and fueled by speculation (read, bullshit)

a 490 sounded pretty fucking great in my 1991 Herb Ellis.

I run 2 490s in my 76 SG, and it sounds AMAZING.

Big Al

I've never heard 490/498 sound decent in any guitar. I recommend removing them and trashing them. Don't sell them because you're just making somebody elses guitar sound like crap.

That is your opinion and I have no problem with that. You like what you like. Plenty others would disagree with that opinion, but that is what opinions are for, fodder for much discussion on forums like this. I just didn't see where the op shared this opinion and asked about your recommendation for better pickups? Anyway that wasn't the issue. I don't know where you got that stuff about weight and pickup design but whoever told you that was dead wrong. If you want to start a thread about pickups I'd be glad to share whatever knowledge and fact I can contribute along with my opinions on the matter.

Zentar

breeds-of-turkeys1.jpg