• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Custom vs Gibson USA

Thundermtn

There are some USA guitars what will tone and lumber wise. You just have to play a hell of a lot more of them to find one.

Beware the guitar that's been on a dealers hanger more than a few weeks, regardless of what shop it came from.

renderit

Mr WHITLOCK - could you comment on the above post ?

could you clarify this ....if I am understanding you correctly - the tone is the same from historic to historic ...while the tops look different ?

"In general, yes.

And of course, play all the ones you can and make your choice from playing them.

Just like the real Bursts. They all vary a little, and there are a small few that would be "duds" to the majority.

And the flame is the face. Choose one you find beautiful. " - Whitlock

"this ones flat, this ones kind of dead, I wouldn't go for this one" - dealer comment

I will. You can hand me a "dead one" or a "flat one" and if it is a CS I can generally make it a "live one" in a few hours. There ain't many "basket cases" on them rolling off the line. Sure, you get a few incurable necks, an occasional wobbled bridge post or even a wonky casting on a bridge, but other than the neck I have not seen ANY duds on the ones I have handled. Most of the times it's dead strings or crap nut or saddle cuts. I now have a drawer of nuts and bridge saddles to regrind...

Thundermtn

Is there a method to this or is it trying various setups until it starts sounding better and chase that trend?

renderit

1) Strings - ALWAYS (about 1/2 sound better right out of the gate here)

2) Setup (including a - intonation b - action c - pickup height and poles) - ALWAYS (By now MOST of them are "fixed")

3) Chase problems - deadness - nuts and (usually bridge, rarely mount screws, sometimes tailpiece studs) at this point I have only seen 1 that was a basket case. It went back. On it I suspect a broken bridge post and I didn't want to take the time to extract.

4) I had one sent back by Wildwood that was custom built for me (the WW Johnsom Black Widow) that had a wonky neck. I never even saw it. That let's you know their spot checks!

And by the way, I hardly consider myself an expert on these. They are pretty universally great guitars.

El Gringo

1) Strings - ALWAYS (about 1/2 sound better right out of the gate here)

2) Setup (including a - intonation b - action c - pickup height and poles) - ALWAYS (By now MOST of them are "fixed")

3) Chase problems - deadness - nuts and (usually bridge, rarely mount screws, sometimes tailpiece studs) at this point I have only seen 1 that was a basket case. It went back. On it I suspect a broken bridge post and I didn't want to take the time to extract.

4) I had one sent back by Wildwood that was custom built for me (the WW Johnsom Black Widow) that had a wonky neck. I never even saw it. That let's you know their spot checks!

And by the way, I hardly consider myself an expert on these. They are pretty universally great guitars.
That's it in a nutshell and it's that simple but yet complex if a guitar is not set up properly and intonated and when they are set up correctly they will sing the sweetest sounds which is pure magic.

E.M.

Confession: I was drinking tequila spritzers when I started this thread. What a lively bunch.

We all have our moments. Depending upon my medication, and my nightly Boubon/Scotch/Tequila toasts don't help. Look, I never take this stuff personally. If you hung with me and my pals you's get it. We bust balls and chops pretty hard and calling each other out over whatever dumb thing we might say or do is just what we do. It is expected. However, if you didn't know, you might think we were gonna kill each other!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

WTF!!! You cannot be serious that Ginger is hotter than Mary Anne!!!!! ( I am an old fart so hence the reference to Gilligans Island), Are you some kind of flipping' ape! Hey monkey boy, I bet you think Willma is better than Betty!!!

Can you believe this numbskull just told me that Chicago Deep Dish pizza is the best Pizza!!! WTF!! It ain't Pizza! It's a flipping' CASSEROLE! DEEP DISH! give me a break! Pizza don't come in no pan or a dish you troglodyte! You don't use a freakin' FORK!! A FORK!! FORK????? Youse picks up the slice and eat it like a man.

Don't even get involved with the sports stuff, it gets brutal. But either way, opinions vary, it's cool. I'm just a bit hyper about facts. I believed so much mythology for so long. It took over 40 years to figure out what was really what and I am just fascinated by the truth of the subject and not the myth anymore. I don't mean to be overbearing.

I will try and put one debate to bed...no pun intended. The guy who did the Mexican beer commercial....touted as the ‘most interesting man in the world’ in the commercial wrote his memoirs. Evidently he’s well known in Hollywood. Claims he slept with hundreds of actresses. Anyway, he had an long affair with Tina Louise. I was always more of a Maryanne guy....but trust me...based on his review....Ginger wins! We’re talking landslide.

I’ve got two Les Paul Standard (2000, 2013), a CC26, a CC43 and an R8 (2013). All have something special. The CC and R8 standout more to me....edge to CC because of feel.

Last edited:
I recently saw a youtube video comparison of a CS and a real 'beast' from 1959. I was amazed at the difference. The CS sounded like a toy in comparison. I think some of us are chasing an unattainable goal. I have a 2017 Standard bought new in February. Yes the input jack was not tight, yes the toggle was not tight, but the guitar sings beautifully and feels great. I A/B ed with a Traditional and some CS's in the store. (GC in LA) and could not come close to justifying the price difference for the CSs.
True Historic and Custom Shop are for there for a slice of the magic in the imagination for those that can afford it. (Usually not the average gigging musician) IMHO

Obvoiously all guitars sound different. I’ve seen the comparison videos where it’s really close. I’d take that video you saw with a grain of salt.

difab4

Also must keep in mind the quality difference which I assume is real.
I have tried two 2017 Cherry USA Standards within the last month and both would not intonate, also one was noticeably lower in output than my 2017 Standard (Vintage Sunburst which by the way kicks ass and sits wonderfully in tune all across the neck)
Also each one had a loose toggle switch, as did mine, which is a weird quality control misstep.
I have to assume that the Custom Shop models are of higher quality and more consistent in build and temperament.
I wanted to change colors because I always wanted a cherry but I'm sticking with mine, I found a good one. And I found it's not so easy to switch. You HAVE to play each one. On line ordering is a no go with Gibson.
I guess 3k not enough to get Gibson to bear down, it has to be 5 or 6k. Again I assume, I've never owned a CS.

El Gringo

Also must keep in mind the quality difference which I assume is real.
I have tried two 2017 Cherry USA Standards within the last month and both would not intonate, also one was noticeably lower in output than my 2017 Standard (Vintage Sunburst which by the way kicks ass and sits wonderfully in tune all across the neck)
Also each one had a loose toggle switch, as did mine, which is a weird quality control misstep.
I have to assume that the Custom Shop models are of higher quality and more consistent in build and temperament.
I wanted to change colors because I always wanted a cherry but I'm sticking with mine, I found a good one. And I found it's not so easy to switch. You HAVE to play each one. On line ordering is a no go with Gibson.
I guess 3k not enough to get Gibson to bear down, it has to be 5 or 6k. Again I assume, I've never owned a CS.
Well since 2012 I have purchased 2 new Custom Shop Fenders (Strat and a Tele ) and 2 new Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul's that I found online and then called on the phone for details and have purchased them like that and it has worked out fine for me with no problems what so ever with the caveat that all guitars whether regular production line or high end custom shop models have to be set up and tweaked to each individuals personal specs and taste .Yes some things can be a pain in the proverbial butt , but as long as they are minor irritants and nothing major it is workable in my way of thinking .The only thing that sucks is when the purchaser finds something out of whack it just takes some more time to get said irritant "fixed" and the joy is delayed until it gets corrected .So patience is the key for myself as well ,with the benefit being when said instrument is ironed out let the good times roll .

Wiggy1956

If you're a good guitar player, why not just play a Gibson USA Les Paul Standard? Is Gibson Custom a money grab? Why bother with historics? Vanity? Bragging rights? High paying white collar job? Quest for a '59-esque dream? How about just get a run of the mill Les Paul and call it good?

Hi Aaron
I will take your comment at face value. I have longed for a Les Paul for many years. I just love the sound that my fave guitarists have got from that instrument over the years. Every time I've tried a Gibson USA Les Paul, I've been disappointed and another guitar in my stable has been much better in terms of sound, feel, responsiveness, sustain and all the other things that, in my view, make a guitar better. I tried again recently with the 2018 crop of Gibson USA guitars and had the same experience. This time, however, I tried a 2108 Custom Shop Standard and it blew me away. It felt like it was alive in my hands, sustained for ever and the tone was spine tingling. I've since tried another against PRSs, including the 594, and Suhrs with the same experience. As some one else posted, I don't care if Joe Public can't tell the difference, I can and these guitars give me so much joy and inspire my playing. That makes them worth it for me.

El Gringo

Hi Aaron
I will take your comment at face value. I have longed for a Les Paul for many years. I just love the sound that my fave guitarists have got from that instrument over the years. Every time I've tried a Gibson USA Les Paul, I've been disappointed and another guitar in my stable has been much better in terms of sound, feel, responsiveness, sustain and all the other things that, in my view, make a guitar better. I tried again recently with the 2018 crop of Gibson USA guitars and had the same experience. This time, however, I tried a 2108 Custom Shop Standard and it blew me away. It felt like it was alive in my hands, sustained for ever and the tone was spine tingling. I've since tried another against PRSs, including the 594, and Suhrs with the same experience. As some one else posted, I don't care if Joe Public can't tell the difference, I can and these guitars give me so much joy and inspire my playing. That makes them worth it for me.
At the end of the day that in a nutshell is what it's all about -fun and pleasure . It is great that Gibson has different price points to fit different budgets .

At the end of the day that in a nutshell is what it's all about -fun and pleasure . It is great that Gibson has different price points to fit different budgets .

I totally agree. Gibson has issues for sure but at the end of the day they put out some good product.

Mats A

I believe a USA Gibson can feel and sound just as good. So if it works for you play it. What i don’t like about the USA Gibson’s is all these models and changing of specs like two or more piece backs and the thicker fingerboard wich feels very different since the binding also gets wider. If you want it to be like they were you almost have to buy a Custom Shop now. I remember when i bought my first 1979 Gibson Les Paul Standard new in 1982. I didn’t know about any differencies in spec like the Maple neck then. But there was no Gibson Custom or USA then just Gibson and not as many models. It was much easier then.

Wiggy1956

I believe a USA Gibson can feel and sound just as good. So if it works for you play it. What i don’t like about the USA Gibson’s is all these models and changing of specs like two or more piece backs and the thicker fingerboard wich feels very different since the binding also gets wider. If you want it to be like they were you almost have to buy a Custom Shop now. I remember when i bought my first 1979 Gibson Les Paul Standard new in 1982. I didn’t know about any differencies in spec like the Maple neck then. But there was no Gibson Custom or USA then just Gibson and not as many models. It was much easier then.

I have tried out quite few Gibson USA Les Pauls and whilst they are nice guitars they didn’t come near a Custom Shop version in my opinion otherwise I would have bought one and saved myself a few bob. I think the difference in construction, short vs long tenon, hide vs vinyl based glue and, presumably better tone woods do make a difference. That’s not to say you can’t get an exceptional Gibson USA guitar and a dud Custom Shop instrument but I think a a general rule, certainly borne out by experience, the Custom Shop instruments sound better. If your budget is limited then yes the Gibson USA guitars are ok, but they don”t generally have that specialness from what I have found.

Ron5

I did the factory tour in Nashville a few years ago and I specifically asked about the custom shop. It was a lot of fun and there were guitars everywhere. Some storage racks had both USA and custom shop guitars mixed together. They didn’t show us the custom shop area but I did see people in the same areas, like electronics, working on both USA and custom shop guitars.

filtersweep

I recently saw a youtube video comparison of a CS and a real 'beast' from 1959. I was amazed at the difference. The CS sounded like a toy in comparison. I think some of us are chasing an unattainable goal. I have a 2017 Standard bought new in February. Yes the input jack was not tight, yes the toggle was not tight, but the guitar sings beautifully and feels great. I A/B ed with a Traditional and some CS's in the store. (GC in LA) and could not come close to justifying the price difference for the CSs.
True Historic and Custom Shop are for there for a slice of the magic in the imagination for those that can afford it. (Usually not the average gigging musician) IMHO

I picked up a mint 2014 R8 for twice the going rate of a used Standard.... probably not much more than your new Standard. My wife encountered me to buy it. One the self- inflicted financial arguments were removed, it was a no brainer.

i also own three production Gibsons- and the lowly Tribute with P90s plays as well as any of them. But there is something about the R8. If a real 59 blows it out of the water, it must be magic.

Big Al

I did the factory tour in Nashville a few years ago and I specifically asked about the custom shop. It was a lot of fun and there were guitars everywhere. Some storage racks had both USA and custom shop guitars mixed together. They didn’t show us the custom shop area but I did see people in the same areas, like electronics, working on both USA and custom shop guitars.

That's not how it was when I was there. Gibson Custom was a wholly separate facility with its own manufacturing on site quite a ways up the road from Gibson USA. There was no mix of products. They were not close neighbours and were in fact separate factories like Memphis.

Guitpicky

If you're a good guitar player, why not just play a Gibson USA Les Paul Standard? Is Gibson Custom a money grab? Why bother with historics? Vanity? Bragging rights? High paying white collar job? Quest for a '59-esque dream? How about just get a run of the mill Les Paul and call it good?

Because I'm not a good guitar player but I do enjoy a fine instrument. I had a great LP Standard, I just traded it in for a new LP Custom because it's a nicer guitar. No further justification needed.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" has changed to "you don't get what you don't pay for". Sad but true :)