• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Custom vs Gibson USA

Guitpicky

It's interesting that the guy who wrote this

also wrote this

[/COLOR][/B]
In the first quote you come across as a guy who just likes a good no nonsense sounding Les Paul regardless of specs and who also feels that a guitar should be judged as a whole rather than the some of its parts.

In the second quote you basically contradict everything you said in your first quote.

Imho, a core component of integrity is having consistency of view point, a conviction if you will.

I would say it appears that Big Al was right. You have a dislike of Historics / True Historics and enjoy disparaging them when its convenient rather than any true belief that every guitar is unique and can be great, regardless of its specs. How do I know this? Because your clear dislike of CC/Historic/True Historic Les Pauls is the only consistent sentiment in both those statements.

I don't see any contradiction, even when taken out of context and presented that way. Not much "integrity" going on there :)

JPP-1

Very good questions Aaron! Yes, vanity and bragging rights are part of it. We often go to parties and brag and brag on why ours are so much better. You know, the really high-end cocktail dress and valet kind of parties you don't get invited to. High paying white collar job? Hell, most of us don't get out of our silk pajamas while the wait staff brings in monies heaped on silver platters! Trust funds flourish here I assure you. Quest for a 59-esque dream? Of sorts as we bought all the real ones anyway! And, Aaron, we don't actually play at all! We have others do it for us! Real experts. Because we know who is really really good at things. Like if we wanted someone to study the underside of a bridge; we would call you!

Aaron, you had great posts up to here, I hope you are joking. Please don't go over to the dark side.

Ah, Renderit, you speak only of the good. Just the other day as I was taking a walk down by the stables to check my string of Polo ponies, I heard what sounded like Korn being played on my Historic Les Paul, korn in drop D tuning, on my angelic sounding historic 59 dream. Needless to say I immediately fired the staff member who sonically defiled my 59 dream with korn. After several weeks of English blues: early Clapton, Peter Green then some Allmans I think my 59 dream has sufficiently healed where Zep and GnR are a real possibility without neumetal PTSD.

What must always be remembered is that with great power comes great responsibility. A historic, it’s not just a guitar it’s a time traveling amabassador of tone

RocknRollShakeUp

Ah, Renderit, you speak only of the good. Just the other day as I was taking a walk down by the stables to check my string of Polo ponies, I heard what sounded like Korn being played on my Historic Les Paul, korn in drop D tuning, on my angelic sounding historic 59 dream. Needless to say I immediately fired the staff member who sonically defiled my 59 dream with korn. After several weeks of English blues: early Clapton, Peter Green then some Allmans I think my 59 dream has sufficiently healed where Zep and GnR are a real possibility without neumetal PTSD.

What must always be remembered is that with great power comes great responsibility. A historic, it’s not just a guitar it’s a time traveling amabassador of tone

You and Renderit are indeed classy fellows, as clearly evidenced by your observations of the finer things in life, and how to properly enjoy them, so you may relate to my particular situation.

I have too many Historics and 59 bursts, and frankly I must say that I've become rather bored with them, even the "bursts". The more banal ones have been relegated to being used as backscratchers, although one particularly feisty looking one has been mounted as a hood ornament on one of my Bentleys. Eccentricity comes easy when money is no object I dare say my dear fellows, wouldn't you agree? One day my sense of mischief got the better of me and I actually tried to play one of the bloody things. It was dreadful, absolutely dreadful, pushing on those "strings" was like some sort of Chinese torture I say. Mick the motor garage mechanic plays them for me, and that's the way it shall remain! But if you haven't tried it, and are feeling a bit naughty on a cold damp evening, get your butler to throw one in the fire place, they make for a remarkable cozy fire! And the older the wood the better! It is quite splendid for relaxing with a cognac and the hounds. I know it is a bit wasteful, but I went over board with buying so many of the bloody things..ah just got another idea, archery targets! They'd make for superb archery targets!

RocknRollShakeUp

Now on a serious note.

If I was looking to buy a USA LP to possibly use as a swiss army knife recording/project guitar, that I can put some nice pickups in, and possibly do coil tapping or splitting, phase out of phase, etc., which model would come with the best wood, hardware, and build quality and give the most potential to upgrade? I don't think I'll be doing this actually, but as a thought experiment, I'm curious! Sort of like a Les involved Les Paul Recording!

JPP-1

Now on a serious note.

If I was looking to buy a USA LP to possibly use as a swiss army knife recording/project guitar, that I can put some nice pickups in, and possibly do coil tapping or splitting, phase out of phase, etc., which model would come with the best wood, hardware, and build quality and give the most potential to upgrade? I don't think I'll be doing this actually, but as a thought experiment, I'm curious! Sort of like a Les involved Les Paul Recording!

I would go to a store and play the various versions of the Les Paul, ie: traditional, standard etc. Once you find one with the features and feel you like then you search for the one that sounds best. Otherwise you can pot luck it on Reverb or Ebay, which can work out great though I'm sure duds every now and then do circulate.

RocknRollShakeUp

I would go to a store and play the various versions of the Les Paul, ie: traditional, standard etc. Once you find one with the features and feel you like then you search for the one that sounds best. Otherwise you can pot luck it on Reverb or Ebay, which can work out great though I'm sure duds every now and then do circulate.

Yeah that sounds like the most sensible thing to do. Thanks for the input.

difab4

Trads have no weight relief.
Al

I actually wanted weight relief cuz I'm using it in a theatrical situation and pick it up multiple times per night.
But I did try all three types in the store and felt that the CS sounded or felt no better than the Standard (which I bought), and the Trad was a step down in quality from the other two.
Regarding sustain, I got as much from the weight relieved Standard as the other two.