The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Case for 1964 reverse Firebird... 1SKB-63 ?

Some reviewers on the Musican's Friend site say that because the 1SKB-63 is for both Explorers and Firebirds, the fit for the Firebird body is loose because of its shallower depth. Does anyone have one of these cases for their 1963-64 reverse Firebird and how do they find the fit? Have you left it as is, or have you put some extra foam in, or do you pad it out with a cloth?

https://www.skbcases.com/music/produ...set=&c=82&s=75

I bought a new, brown Gibson USA yesterday, but when I got it home it didn't fit. It is designed for newer Firebirds and will not accommodate older ones with the strap button on the fore-edge of the upper bout (the newer ones only have a strap button on the back).

Thanks.

Re: Case for 1964 reverse Firebird... 1SKB-63 ?

You should be able to push in the foam lining at the strap button. it'll sort of squeeze in there.
    If the rest of the guitar fits well (especially the headstock) I'd think about hanging on to the Gibson.
    As far as other brands, I can't really see an Explorer case fitting a Firebird. (I don't have either one so I can't say for sure, of course.)
    I would contact SKB directly and ask them what their recommendation would be. TKL may also have a case that would fit, among other makers.
    You can also get a custom case made for the guitar, though that would be a lot more money. (for a '64, though, it might be worth it.)
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Thanks, jrgtr42. Unfortunately, I took the case straight back to the store so I can't try that. But it did feel pretty solid, so it may have left a mark, which might have been problematic had I still wanted to return it. I have fired off questions to SKB and also a few custom case makers. I'll do an eventual update to help anyone who might be in a similar position.

Quote Originally Posted by 1242 View Post
    Thanks, jrgtr42. Unfortunately, I took the case straight back to the store so I can't try that. But it did feel pretty solid, so it may have left a mark, which might have been problematic had I still wanted to return it. I have fired off questions to SKB and also a few custom case makers. I'll do an eventual update to help anyone who might be in a similar position.
    How about finding a used older brown/pink case? My '64 sits in one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch D. Bunker View Post
    How about finding a used older brown/pink case? My '64 sits in one of those.
    Thanks. I can keep my eyes open, but I am in England and stuff is scarcer here.

Quote Originally Posted by 1242 View Post
    Thanks. I can keep my eyes open, but I am in England and stuff is scarcer here.
    OK - so I guess this one won't fit your guitar, in spite of the 'historic' title....since historic FB reissues do have the top strap button.

https://www.coda-music.com/gibson-of...bird-case.html

Quote Originally Posted by Arch D. Bunker View Post
    OK - so I guess this one won't fit your guitar, in spite of the 'historic' title....since historic FB reissues do have the top strap button.

https://www.coda-music.com/gibson-of...bird-case.html
    Thanks for posting that. No, unfortunately, that's the case I already tried. I think by 'Historic' they must be referring to a historic-style case and not the Historic Custom Shop guitars ??? At the moment I'm leaning towards getting the SKB and padding it out to raise the body. I think my options are that, or the older brown Gibson case, or a Custom Shop case.

Well, the SKB 'Explorer/Firebird' case arrived and, sure enough, it didn't fit. The body goes in ok, but the lid won't close. Like the new Gibson brown case I am guessing it must be designed for recently made guitars??? Looks like I am back to either (a) an older Gibson brown case, (b) a Gibson Custom Shop Historic case or, (c), a custom-made flight case with a plush lining (which no one in England that I have spoken to so far makes).

If it helps anyone else to know this, I thought I'd give the current, black Epiphone Firebird case a try. It fits like a glove. There is a space for the strap button on the front of the upper bout and plenty of support for the neck over the accessory compartment. For additional protection I have fashioned an oblong square from stout cardboard, around which I will wrap some soft material. So, to recap, the current, black Epiphone Firebird case will fit an original 'bird beautifully, but the current brown Gibson Firebird case and the SKB Explorer/Firebird case will not.

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Oddly enough, I use an old case for my new 'bird..I have a 70's case:

(I have since added the upper bout strap button, and as you can see, it is a non issue fit wise.)
    Now..THIS case MAY have been used for an Explorer (with the appropriate inserts), but I believe the newer cases are a different story all together..
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Firebird Re: Case for 1964 reverse Firebird... 1SKB-63 ?

That looks like a good fit, Kris, fabulous-looking guitar, too.

I have two 70's cases for my '64 and '76 Birds, but always only use Mono Vertigo and a Reunion Blues RBX bass gig bags with them. The Epiphone case fits old 'birds

Update: I ended up getting a new Epiphone Firebird case. Fits a '64 Reverse FB like a glove, including space for three strap buttons.