• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Aged True Historic VS True Historic

JPP-1

No, I'm not banned from there, troll.

You're obviously too slow to understand that by "blooze lawyer" I was making fun of losers attempting to prosecute me on this forum as if they're lawyers and this is a court of law.

You should take it easy with the incessant name calling. Arguing over guitars, points of view etc is one thing. Personal attacks is another.

Seriously. If you call someone a loser to their face, well, you may not be the most mature person but at least you have balls. Doing it online is just cowardly and pathetic.

CAGinLA

You should take it easy with the incessant name calling. Arguing over guitars, points of view etc is one thing. Personal attacks is another.

Seriously. If you call someone a loser to their face, well, you may not be the most mature person but at least you have balls. Doing it online is just cowardly and pathetic.

LOL - yes, I have balls in real life, too. The Army taught me to give zero f**ks about bigmouths.

L.A.Man

LOL - yes, I have balls in real life, too. The Army taught me to give zero f**ks about bigmouths.

What the Army didn't teach you is when to keep your mouth shut, I do give you credit for having balls Chris, I saw your YouTube video, posting that definitely took balls.

renderit

When I talked with him he told me he looks for a certain type top. Best is subjective and has no bearing on overall quality of the guitar. He picks ones he likes the look of, that is all.

How could he. When would he find time to actually age them if he has to play and tone test the thousands of historics each year to select the best ones available. Even if he could say work 24 hours a day, how does this tone testing add to Gibson's bottom line.

I agree with both, however I would also comment that at the point it leaves his hands I am sure he has done everything in his power to make sure nothing with his name on it is a "tone turd". And I am pretty sure if he discovers one it don't make it out of his shop. I mean that's the way I'd do it. Maybe he don't care, but I doubt it.

I am beginning to see your point JPP. I withdraw from the defense. Please proceed to bury what you found in the sandbox...

jimeh77

Seems people who own both types would tell you that the aged ones are better. I guess their opinions are more legit, regardless you agree or disagree.

Although I think TH is the best sounding LP out there, to me the uniqueness of CC is always being the eternal temptation for not buying a TH.

Big Al

I agree with both, however I would also comment that at the point it leaves his hands I am sure he has done everything in his power to make sure nothing with his name on it is a "tone turd". And I am pretty sure if he discovers one it don't make it out of his shop. I mean that's the way I'd do it. Maybe he don't care, but I doubt it.

I am beginning to see your point JPP. I withdraw from the defense. Please proceed to bury what you found in the sandbox...

I don't know, Ren. He does a cosmetic effect only and that effect is what is sold. I found the TH line to be quite remarkable, in general, as well as the 2013 and 14 R Series. I think maybe those that own one tend to feel they are more special. I own neither and found no predisposition to a generalised tonal greatness in either one.

omni43

I know what I have said (and stand by it) - don't need some dork with a chip on his shoulder to throw it back at me in some ridiculous accusatory manner. What are you, one those Blooze lawyers?

You said dork!

renderit

And I said PORK and Al said TORQUE! Your point? We be rhymin'! Need somebody on da meat-box nowz!

ONEHERO

Could it be that aged ones that have the lacker cracked enables the guitar to breathe more?

Big Al

Could it be that aged ones that have the lacker cracked enables the guitar to breathe more?

Wood stops breathing when the tree is cut. No finish means unstable absorption or loss of water, [humidity]. Fractued or removed finish may promote this condition. But the whole "wood breathing" thing is a myth.

renderit

Wood stops breathing when the tree is cut. No finish means unstable absorption or loss of water, [humidity]. Fractued or removed finish may promote this condition. But the whole "wood breathing" thing is a myth.

I love you Al, but I disagree.

Which is what most people are referring to as "breathing"!

Wood emits the gasses from resins that dry out over years, hence the "smell" when you cut it, scratch it or open a cavity that was sealed. It also takes in moisture or emits moisture throughout it's life. I call that breathing as do most others. It is unequivocal. They would not crack if they didn't, the finish would not sink into them, there would be no difference if one was stored in a humidity balanced room and one that was stored without.

As the resins dry and emit the characteristic aroma of the species. If you ever smelled sycamore you know one of the rank ones! The resins harden and crystalize over time leaving trace ambers inside the chamber surrounded by cellulose fibers. These voids allow the now dead fibers to swell with moisture and shrink without it. Kinda like lungs. Sure, it's daayed! But if'n that ain't artificial respiration I don't know what is! Breathing...

Now, I ain't quite a stoopid as most peeps think (possibly a myth, maychance I am stoopider)...AND I KNOW YOU KNOW ABOUT EVERYTHING I JUST WASTED MY TIME TYPING. Just call it breathing Al! It makes all of us feel fuzzy!

It's one of the wonders of wood! All we need is the tshirts...GOT WOOD?

Big Al

Wood does not breath moisture. Once cut, dried and cured, a process to stabilise the optimal moisture content prior to finished product. Are you saying that the osmatic movement of moisture in and out of porous dead organic material constitutes respiration, or showing the inaccurate usage, [in biological terms], for an unstable mousture content in an unsealed absorbent material?

Granted some may understand the implications of this usage in this context, I have found most using this term attach to it unearned and assumptive positivity, as in to breathe is a good thing, while in truth, my guitar is a moisture wick or sponge is not.

BadCat

I have a TH59. Love the guitar. Is she worth the price. To me she is. Hell of a guitar. But- if i would buy again i would go for the Murphy aged version.

renderit

I don't know...do the wood fibers expand as the moisture goes in? I think yes. Does the expansion cause the moisture/air to go in? Technically I'll bet the answer is partially yes. Once you start the process of cellular expansion the forces on the next cell may force a chain reaction. But I will cede you that point, so it is not "breathing" in the true sense. The chemical reactions are also replacing VOC's with air probably causing some more chain reactions. And your analogy to wicking is on point and very correct. That also explains the "loss" or giving off the volatile contents that we smell. You are 100% correct. It's just the fact that stuff moves in and out that many, myself included, refer to as breathing. Yeah, it ain't technically correct but I have never heard anybody refer to it as "sponging" either. We also refer to them as "she" or "he" and I'm pretty certain they are asexual. Humans are imperfect and we choose to ascribe human terms to inanimate objects we treasure. Just as you said! But wine also don't "breath" and I challenge you to go on a wine tasting forum and say that! So don't be callin' my guitars DAYED!

There is no osmatic movement in a guitar by the way. Osmatic is a sense of smell. I does not smell me, I am pretty sure. If it did I could never catch them to play them! I think you meant Osmotic...like capturing farts in a couch...

Big Al

Yep, I used the wrong term. I'm not such a fart smeller after all!:##:##

eternalpurple

That is a very good question. I certainly don't have the answer. But If I were one of the elf's toiling away in the custom shop and somehow put a dent or deep scratch in my master piece that baby has aged wrote all over it.

ONEHERO

I have a TH59. Love the guitar. Is she worth the price. To me she is. Hell of a guitar. But- if i would buy again i would go for the Murphy aged version.

For aesthetic reasons or other?

BadCat

For aesthetic reasons or other?
I prefer some aged instruments due to aesthetics- i think Murphy does a fantastic job. From my sparse experience i would be inclined to say that the aging more often than not gives a slight sonic advantage. And lastly i am less anxious about avoiding dents with my aged instrument which makes it much more enjoyable owning these instruments compared to a mint instrument. I guess one could think there is a logical brist in what i wrote above. But it isn`t. I think these aged instruments are often real beauties. You can`t abuse a mint guitar and expect it will look the same after a year or 10 or even 20 as an aged 59 Les Paul. Furthermore i once owned a Ramirez 1a Elite guitar. Everytime i took that guitar and played i was afraid making new scratches with each of these scratches equalling a value decline of about 1 K.