• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why am I allergic to a metronome?

williamhawk

It should be my best friend but it feels like a parent telling their kid what to do. I just want to play and find a groove but I know I play better when I practice with it. I'm not really sure why I'm put off by the pendulum like, hypnotic beat tapping along, but for some reason I just want to turn it off like an alarm clock.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.
References:https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/why-am-i-allergic-to-a-metronome.437158/

Explainer Video Example

Karldoog

It should be my best friend but it feels like a parent telling their kid what to do. I just want to play and find a groove but I know I play better when I practice with it. I'm not really sure why I'm put off by the pendulum like, hypnotic beat tapping along, but for some reason I just want to turn it off like an alarm clock.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.
References:https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/why-am-i-allergic-to-a-metronome.437158/

Explainer Video Example
I always hated practicing with a metronome. There's no feel, no inspiration, just bland, boring clockwork. A practice-killer.
A much better alternative is to put on your favorite CD and practice "with the band". I started doing this when I was 16 and used to plow through a stack of LPs on my old record player. I STILL practice this way. The great thing is, every song is a different tempo, different key, different changes---seriously, there's NOTHING better to prepare you for actual gigging and playing in the real world with a group of guys or a real band.

Alternatively, get yourself a BOSS loop pedal--the good one, with a drum beat available. Make your own rhythm patterns up over a drum beat. You'll never waste your time with a metronome again.

sonar

Try not to look for a groove when using a metronome and play dry.

Yes it's boring, frustrating, and everything else that sucks about practice, but it will pay off tenfold if you put a little effort into it.

I still pull one out now and again when I feel like I'm getting sloppy.

Amp360

I always practice with a metronome. Doing so will allow you to groove much more when you're not practicing.

P.Walker

if you have a mac, you can use your own free drummer from garageband or logic.

also, different application but youtube has a lot of great backing tracks.

renderit

I use Sister Mary-Agnes from Our Sisters Of The Veering Slapshot instead who uses a very worn wooden ruler on my head as I play. Should I miss a beat it hurts worse...

J T

Many recording sessions start the singer/instrumentalist off with a click track before there really are any drums or bass. The track remains in the session throughout the entire life of the song but gets turned off and on whenever an artist needs it for over dubs or additional tracks.

Clicks are used all the time.

tonar8353

I have played with a few drummers who could use to sit under Sister Mary-Agnes from Our Sister Of The Veering Slap Shot's tutelage. Ren do you have her contact information. :)

Joe Boy

Its a good thing tic tic Its a good thing tic tic ... :##... It really is a good thing tic tic ...

Don

Years ago, I started practicing with a windup metronome and kept falling out of time. I blamed the metronome and bought a digital one. I fell out of time with that! Must've been me!:eek:la

Big Al

Because you have no rhythm. Ain't no different than tapping your foot in time. Slop ain't groove or in the pocket. The single most common deficiency in players I encounter and the one guaranteed to keep you out of pro bands/gigs/studios.

Time takes work. Serious practice with a click or drum machine. It makes you great.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I used to hate practicing w/a metronome until I learned to relax & "lay" on top of it. Now its a blast & sometimes its even like jamming w a/another musician

Big Al

I used to hate practicing w/a metronome until I learned to relax & "lay" on top of it. Now its a blast & sometimes its even like jamming w a/another musician

Cogs, you are so right. I hated it, at first, then it somehow melds into you, becomes inate. Then it becomes ingrained, like vibrato, it can't be unlearnt.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
if you have a mac, you can use your own free drummer from garageband or logic.

also, different application but youtube has a lot of great backing tracks.

Right, or buy some Acid drum loops if you have a compatible DAW or a program like EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer. The latter has amongst its many drum sounds a setup called "John" which nails the "When the Levee Breaks" mammoth drum sound. Believe me, that's much more inspirational to play to than a clicking metronome.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I don't disagree with that, & I've created & used loops a lot for practice & even songwriting. But I always come back to a simple, unadorned click for practicing new & difficult concepts. I think of it almost like a "wireframe" that enables me to concentrate more deeply on the material I'm learning.
But you are right about drum loops being more inspirational to play among with. That is particularly true if you are learning a specific song.
imo

J T

I'm just the opposite with drum loops. They drag me down and fog my vision.

I have the idea in my head and if that drum loop is not exactly what I was thinking, I spend time fiddling with that damn loop. by the time I get that straightened out, I've either nearly lost the melody I was thinking, or lost it completely. I wait until I have the melody down until that drum part gets in there. The click keeps it all together before anything else most of the time.

WallyWorld

Get a drum machine. I hate metrodome’s too but playing with a drum machine is much more realistic and musical to me.