• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

53 GT: Yet another leaning tailpiece

esharp

I always use a drill press as an arbor press to push the bushings in. The rack and pinion spindle has a lot of mechanical advantage that allows you to press the bushings in slowly and precisely.
Mine wasn't big enough to push the insert into a maple sample without stressing it. It may have worked fine on the guitar since it was softer.
Hammer did work fine though.

Last edited:

sws1

Was it just the metal that was bent, or did the wood need 'fixing'? I can't tell.

esharp

Was it just the metal that was bent, or did the wood need 'fixing'? I can't tell.
Apparently early on they used 1/2" inserts that were not up to the task. They leaned in the wood over time. Replacing it with a 1" insert solves the problem.

JIMI55LP

It isn't metal bending or crushing but the 1/2" long inserts tilt or twist in the mortise smashing into the side walls of the mortise. The next generation inserts Gibson used were 7/8" and 1" which had a larger grip on the side walls of the mortise preventing the tilting. The 1/2" inserts was a BAD IDEA in every way!

esharp

It isn't metal bending or crushing but the 1/2" long inserts tilt or twist in the mortise smashing into the side walls of the mortise. The next generation inserts Gibson used were 7/8" and 1" which had a larger grip on the side walls of the mortise preventing the tilting. The 1/2" inserts was a BAD IDEA in every way!
Exactly. The 1/2" inserts I removed were not bent or deformed in any way. I didn't need to do anything to fix the wood, but I did steam it a bit to allow the "smashing" to come out a bit. With the 1" inserts, the bottom 1/2" of new hole combined with the very top part of the hole being still good resolved the problem.