• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Left Handed 1964 Gibson Firebird VII, 100% Original with OHSC, Ultra Rare!

Dire Wolf

A truly rare bird(pun intended) in the world of vintage guitars!

Left Handed 1964 Gibson Firebird VII; there were only 173 total Firebird VIIs made in 1964, this may be the only lefty. I've only seen one other Left Handed 63/64 Firebird - that was many years ago, and it had a repaired headstock. This particular example is in EXC condition with no cracks/breaks, and includes the OHSC.

Features were similar on this deluxe model to the LP/SG Custom, with bound Ebony fingerboard and pearl block inlays, 3 Pickups, Gold Plated Nickel Hardware. Also shares the Deluxe Vibrola tailpiece with Lyre-engraved coverplate, and the fully adjustable Tune-O-Matic Bridge of the Firebird V.
And, of course, 1964 the last year for the desirable 1 11/16 wide nut. And last, but not least, it has the REVERSE BODY!

This is a Holy Grail Lefty from Gibson's Golden Era, and certainly among the rarest Left Handed vintage guitars in the world!

blewsbreaker

Wow, that is a rare bird!
Interesting color of the pick guard... Is it original?

Kris Ford

Pretty cool!

But wondering why this one didn't get it's cavity painted with the shielding paint like very other 60's bird??:hmm
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8fce_zpsrfxnzl12.jpg

For example:
Firebird-cavity-crop.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

FB3-CAVITY-1.jpg

Maybe because it is SUCH an oddball? SN# Font is different as well.
Also no heel strap button..guessing it was just literally an ODD BIRD.
(just observances..not knocking anything!)

Arch D. Bunker

Wow - that one really defies belief. Impossibly rare. Congrats on finding it! :dude:

The lack of cavity shielding paint is no biggie - more original reverse birds had that. But what´s with the serial number? I'd run that past Gibson.

daze

WOW!:dude: That is simply a stunning find Dire Wolf...congrats man:salude
But .....yeah..... here it comes....wouldn't it be a reverse - reverse seeing she's a lefty:hee
Clearly the employee at Parson's St. who did the Gibson inlay logo that day didn't know which way was up, down, left or rightl:hee Maybe he/she discussed the logo position with colleagues over a few pints of what made Milwaukee famous at lunch before tackling the inlay in the afternoon? :hmm:salude

sangandongo

Pretty cool!

But wondering why this one didn't get it's cavity painted with the shielding paint like very other 60's bird??:hmm
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8fce_zpsrfxnzl12.jpg

Maybe because it is SUCH an oddball? SN# Font is different as well.
Also no heel strap button..guessing it was just literally an ODD BIRD.
(just observances..not knocking anything!)

Sorry to resurrect this zombie, but I thought I'd chime in. I have a '63 Firebird VII with an unpainted cavity. I thought it was strange until I started asking around. I found no less than 6 others from '63 without the painted cavity. Furthermore, I know of someone with a '62 Firebird Prototype with a set neck. I asked him whether his had the conductive paint in the cavity and he said no.

One other weirdo thing about my instrument: it's got a 1-9/16" nut rather than a 1-11/16". There's finish still on the edges of the nut under black light, so I don't think it was shaved down or replaced - it feels just like the Epiphone 1-9/16" necks of the same era, down to the contour of the back. Thankfully, that's my favorite style neck! :)