• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Red Sparkle 1974 deluxe

kerryboy

I've had a number of guitars over the years that have had maple necks and I have never got on with them.

Maybe its just me, but I now avoid them totally.

They just don't look right or sound right to me, especially on a les paul style guitar.

J.D.

Maple neck (vs. Mahogany) will noticeably add some brightness and "snap" to the tone.

deytookerjaabs

Funny how if it was 1958 a 3 piece maple neck would be an exquisite upgrade few could afford but decades later the feature you'd see on the cheapest student model is preferred. :laugh2:

Kris Ford

Funny how if it was 1958 a 3 piece maple neck would be an exquisite upgrade few could afford but decades later the feature you'd see on the cheapest student model is preferred. :laugh2:

Yeah..not a "cost cutting" measure, or "Norlin Cheapness"..Laminated maple necks were a very high end feature.

Wally

I had one of the Blue Sparkles from the same era....very good guitar.

moozak

Les Paul Forum Member, Classic Club
i have an old 75 red sparkle for many years... it has been fitted for humbuckers but it's been a great guitar. i honestly didn't realize there were any red ones from 74. my understanding was that the red ones were only shipped in 75 and the blue ones 75 thru 77. i also have never seen a red one with a maple neck. anyway, cool guitars. i've actually considered letting mine go... not as young as i used to be in the old back!

Bob Womack

I wasn't aware of any maple-neck Kalamazoo LPs, and supposedly the Nashville shop didn't start production until '76. But one must keep an open mind - Gibson was consistently, um... inconsistent, in that period. :hee

Bob

Progrocker111

No way that this one is a 74. Maple necks started in mid 75 actually. Serial number is a bit weird too... :hmm

deytookerjaabs

I think the neck just stands out on this sucker because it's a clear finish, it was what, at least 7 years 3 piece maple necks were standard on Gibsons?. As for the '74-'75 thing, ooof.

Big Al

I had a Rocket Red Deluxe. Mahogany three piece neck 73 or 74. It was NOS and I got it in 77. I've never seen one with a maple neck and find it odd. I sold mine to Bill Lapham in 83.