• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Orville by Gibson LPS-57c on the way.

Ragnarock

Hello, this is my first post and my first OBG Les Paul.
I've had insane LP GAS lately. I've been looking into Japanese LPs for a while and have done a fair bit of research on the Orvilles in particular. I have never, ever seen not just an OBG, but an OBG "reissue" go for as low as I scored this thing for. Listed as B+ condition with only minor cosmetic blemishes. Frets are 80%. I keep thinking there's got to be a catch somewhere. . I really hope this isn't too good to be true. :)

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

renderit

Very nice. I know nothing about them but it looks great. How does it play and sound?

duaneflowers

HNIGD!! There are some amazing deals to be had on MIJ guitars as folks here in Japan are increasingly more into labels than substance. Those ObG reissues really are nice, and with the CITES situation being what it is, a lot of the shops here are being overly skiddish. I've seen some really sweet deals in the last few months as a result...

fred dons

I have the goldtop Version which is currently in the process of a repaint, the poly was delaminating on the back so it was a nice opportunity to remove all of the paint and refinish it in Cellulose, very well made and even wit a solid Color paint I noticed a very nice plaintop under it.
I love yours btw, nicely understated !

Ragnarock

^^^^Thanks. To be honest I can't tell if mine is poly nor not. AFAIK the OBGs and/or OBG RI's are all supposed to be nitro, but I've read that some weren't. What's the simplest way to tell? :hmm

Griffinlay

Excellent guitar! Enjoy!
Orville by Gibson’s are all poly apart from the limited edition models that were 200,000 yen and above. I was under the impression that the Orville by Gibson’s were nitro but it appears it s just a myth.

duaneflowers

Orville by Gibson’s are all poly apart from the limited edition models that were 200,000 yen and above. I was under the impression that the Orville by Gibson’s were nitro but it appears it s just a myth.

Most ObGs are Nitro and most Orvilles are Poly... some models were exceptions, hence the 'most'. My ObG Junior is most definitely Nitro. :salude

Griffinlay

Most ObGs are Nitro and most Orvilles are Poly... some models were exceptions, hence the 'most'. My ObG Junior is most definitely Nitro. :salude
I have done a lot of research on this subject. ObG guitars are not nitro.
I was like everyone else and believed they were, but it turns out they are not.

duaneflowers

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I see I may be on the wrong forum if I’m looking for intelligent debate regarding this subject.

I've lived here in Japan for 25 years and I've seen and played hundreds of Orvilles and ObGs... there is no research in the world that will make me doubt my own experience. If you're looking for intelligent debate then you might start with some undeniable facts and truths rather than a loose claim to having information that no one else has and responding to my statement that I own a nitro ObG with 'ObG guitars are not nitro' and expecting a warm welcome.

Griffinlay

I've lived here in Japan for 25 years and I've seen and played hundreds of Orvilles and ObGs... there is no research in the world that will make me doubt my own experience. If you're looking for intelligent debate then you might start with some undeniable facts and truths rather than a loose claim to having information that no one else has and responding to my statement that I own a nitro ObG with 'ObG guitars are not nitro' and expecting a warm welcome.
I wasn’t expecting a specific type of welcome but I suppose what I said could be taken as controversial.
I see from your profile that you are in Japan and I do appreciate your opinion on this matter. This was my reason for posting my comments to get other people’s opinions.
I am not saying any one person, or opinion is correct, including mine. The evidence I have pieced together does back up my original statement but more evidence could prove this to be incorrect.