• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A sad story of a vintage Korina Gibson Flying V

Vortexx

I heard about this about 10 years ago, but I haven't posted it before. There used to be a music store in Toronto called Hudson's Music. I went to it a few times in the early '80s. At the time, I didn't see any Vs. It wasn't a great store. The Canadian group Anvil came in to rehearse one day while I was there in the basement, during the bands early days.

The store over the years was never really doing great. I guess there were money issues. They asked a local musician who's band had somewhat of a big local following to take the vintage V on tour with them and to smash it on stage at some point. The band was called Goddo and their lead singer was known for crazy drug use and debauchery on the road. He had no idea what the guitar was worth at the time in the late '70s, but he knew it was so that Hudson's Music could collect insurance. The guitar was smashed and the store got an insurance payout. I got the story from the band's lead singer who did the smashing. I don't think there is really any way to figure out what the serial number was. Greg, the lead singer mentioned that if the store was smart enough, they would have kept it because it wasn't worth nowhere near as much as it is currently. The store went out of business years ago. Since it was past the statute of limitations, Greg told the story. By the way Greg played bass in the band but did a long guitar solo during part of the show. I guess that's when the guitar got smashed.

Anyway, that's one less V to account for.

crashbelt

I heard about this about 10 years ago, but I haven't posted it before. There used to be a music store in Toronto called Hudson's Music. I went to it a few times in the early '80s. At the time, I didn't see any Vs. It wasn't a great store. The Canadian group Anvil came in to rehearse one day while I was there in the basement, during the bands early days.

The store over the years was never really doing great. I guess there were money issues. They asked a local musician who's band had somewhat of a big local following to take the vintage V on tour with them and to smash it on stage at some point. The band was called Goddo and their lead singer was known for crazy drug use and debauchery on the road. He had no idea what the guitar was worth at the time in the late '70s, but he knew it was so that Hudson's Music could collect insurance. The guitar was smashed and the store got an insurance payout. I got the story from the band's lead singer who did the smashing. I don't think there is really any way to figure out what the serial number was. Greg, the lead singer mentioned that if the store was smart enough, they would have kept it because it wasn't worth nowhere near as much as it is currently. The store went out of business years ago. Since it was past the statute of limitations, Greg told the story. By the way Greg played bass in the band but did a long guitar solo during part of the show. I guess that's when the guitar got smashed.

Anyway, that's one less V to account for.

A friend of mine was at that gig - he also set fire to 59 burst and stomped on a 1923 Lloyd Loar signed F5:laugh2:

F-Hole

A friend of mine was at that gig - he also set fire to 59 burst and stomped on a 1923 Lloyd Loar signed F5:laugh2:

My dad worked bar there......and walked off with the band's '59 blonde mono 355.

Still have it here.

Tommy Tourbus

That reminds me of a small music store near me a long time ago. They were a small not very good shop with no decent gear.

They then asked a local musician to destroy one of their 50's Gibson V's :spabout

Last edited:

renderit

I collected all the pieces and spent 10 years gluing them back together so meticulously you can't tell and sold it for so much that I now have a jet and 3 houses in remote corners of the world. I am also a spy for MI-15 (which is sooooo much better than the old MI-14) who has kept the Synergists at bay for years. My number is 000. I love playing guitar when I can (and when the women aren't throwing themselves all over me). My last gig U2 opened for me. And Heart. When I show my face the "Most Interesting Man In The World" wimpers and runs! Chuck Norris is my father. My mother left before I was born, but she must have looked astonishing!

At any rate, that's one more I saved and put back in circulation for the world.

Big Al

Yup, then the blew up a Moderne and burnt up Beano .... :## :rolleyes

Frutiger

I was being serious. Dad said it was a great gig, right up until he had to leave. Here's the guiar he liberated.

Bloody hell. 59. Blonde. Mono. Clean. Case candy. Where did you find that one?

Your heard of blondes is something else! :salude

becks bolero

Greg Godovitz mentions that in his book, too

"TRAVELS WITH MY AMP"

it's an interesting read. some funny stuff, and lots of encounters with other bands of notoriety, on tour in the '70's

sucks about the guitar, though :(

TM1

Is this the one that Joe B. owns now? He showed one to me a few months back that he had just bought.. I think he said they made 11 of them in `59

Strings Jr.

My dad worked bar there......and walked off with the band's '59 blonde mono 355.

Still have it here.

Great story about a great guitar.

Scary to think this beauty might have been sacrificed for a little insurance money.

Texas Blues

Great story about a great guitar.

Scary to think this beauty might have been sacrificed for a little insurance money.

Plah!

Not really scary as more reality.

I myself would sell my children to the government for scientific 'speriments n' sheeit if the money was right.

My next door neighbor has even less higher standards.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S_0xAbFAIbM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>