• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which cali76 compressor?

duaneflowers

Interesting! I have found it to play exceedingly well with others. It is an order thing, but I have found nothing which does not work with it. Can you elucidate? While keeping your pants on? Seriously, I am interested. I always use mine and I don't usually use a lot of other pedals, but have run it with Archer Boost, Wampler Velvet fuzz, Providence Chrono Delay, Alter Ego reverbs, Slide Rig, Roto Choir, Morley Volume, Digitech RV7, and all my sequencers and large reverb units. I have found no problems. I usually run it late in the chain.

On my usual days it and maybe the Chrono and a reverb of some sort are my normal chain elements. I don't spank my pedals a lot, just when a mood hits. I need to rewire all that crap anyways now that I gots my GEC 9.

Speaking of which, since you are frequently in possession of everything known to mankind, do you have a Schaffer Replica? I am thinking hard right now on one since hearing his Boston and Steely Dan stuff. I like AC/DC (at least a bunch of their songs) but not a huge follower. But when I heard him nail Party and then Reelin In The Years I decided I DID have a place for one.

No Schaffer Replica, my Line6 G50 and G55 have never really been tonesuckers for me, so keep them I have and use them I do (if I may be a bit Yoda about it).

I've always found compressor pedals a bit noisy for my liking... along with their glorious tones, the two I use most, the SlideRIG and Rivera Sustain Shaman seem to bring a lot of noise with them, although I haven't really experimented with their positions in the chain as much as I should... I will have to investigate that further to see if it helps. Several reverb pedals and various ODs and Klon Clones are all I really use. Since the Kemper arrived on my doorstep most of my pedals are on hiatus, but since adding yet another Klon Clone to the arsenal the tube amps have been easing their way back into prime time so I'll need to give the compressors another go... the Kemper does a lot of things well, but it can't replicate many of the boutique pedals I've grown to love...

Pellman73

Interesting! I have found it to play exceedingly well with others. It is an order thing, but I have found nothing which does not work with it. Can you elucidate? While keeping your pants on? Seriously, I am interested. I always use mine and I don't usually use a lot of other pedals, but have run it with Archer Boost, Wampler Velvet fuzz, Providence Chrono Delay, Alter Ego reverbs, Slide Rig, Roto Choir, Morley Volume, Digitech RV7, and all my sequencers and large reverb units. I have found no problems. I usually run it late in the chain.

On my usual days it and maybe the Chrono and a reverb of some sort are my normal chain elements. I don't spank my pedals a lot, just when a mood hits. I need to rewire all that crap anyways now that I gots my GEC 9.

Speaking of which, since you are frequently in possession of everything known to mankind, do you have a Schaffer Replica? I am thinking hard right now on one since hearing his Boston and Steely Dan stuff. I like AC/DC (at least a bunch of their songs) but not a huge follower. But when I heard him nail Party and then Reelin In The Years I decided I DID have a place for one.

I have a Schaffer replica tower and I really like it a lot. I'm not sure how the pedal versions compare...and it's a lot of money... but it sure looks cool as hell and it adds an extra boosted sizzle on top.

Nick-O

It sounds like a great bit of gear (the Schaffer), but the price really has me shy. Love watching his YT vids though...never seen a happier soul!:spabout

Last edited:

Pellman73

It sounds like a great bit of gear, but the price really has me shy. Love watching his YT vids though...never seen a happier soul!:spabout

You mean Fil ?

ya it's fun to watch him

hes also a really nice guy. The one I got was kind of different looking and i couldn't figure out what was up w the back. I contacted the company and he answered.... and I guess I got one of three of that particular case and cover -- and one went somewhere and he other one to angus! Which was a very cool thing to find out. I think if you have a a studio or are planning to have one like I am it's very cool to have it... otherwise I'd probably say go w the pedal version...

renderit

No Schaffer Replica, my Line6 G50 and G55 have never really been tonesuckers for me, so keep them I have and use them I do (if I may be a bit Yoda about it).

I've always found compressor pedals a bit noisy for my liking... along with their glorious tones, the two I use most, the SlideRIG and Rivera Sustain Shaman seem to bring a lot of noise with them, although I haven't really experimented with their positions in the chain as much as I should... I will have to investigate that further to see if it helps. Several reverb pedals and various ODs and Klon Clones are all I really use. Since the Kemper arrived on my doorstep most of my pedals are on hiatus, but since adding yet another Klon Clone to the arsenal the tube amps have been easing their way back into prime time so I'll need to give the compressors another go... the Kemper does a lot of things well, but it can't replicate many of the boutique pedals I've grown to love...

That's strange. None of my 4 are noisy at all...

renderit

I have a Schaffer replica tower and I really like it a lot. I'm not sure how the pedal versions compare...and it's a lot of money... but it sure looks cool as hell and it adds an extra boosted sizzle on top.

Yes it is expensive. And normally I would just do it anyway but when it comes to an effect I get a little antsy when I don't know how much I'll use it. And when you hit that price you are in amp territory. But it is cooler than heck...

Bob Womack

David Gilmour added a Cali76 full sized with parallel knob and a Slide Rig Compact Deluxe for his latest album.

davidgilmour_studio2015.jpg

Here are a couple of good examples of his comp sounds:

and

It is hard to tell which comp he is using on these cuts because he also used an Effectrode PC-2A Compressor and a Demeter Compulator on the album but I think he just kicks in the SlideRig for some of the more extreme sustain passages and possibly uses the Cali76 as his "always on" comp. When he took the album on tour he went with just the SlideRig Compact Deluxe for lap steel but partway through replaced it with a Cali76 Compact.

Bob

Pellman73

Yes it is expensive. And normally I would just do it anyway but when it comes to an effect I get a little antsy when I don't know how much I'll use it. And when you hit that price you are in amp territory. But it is cooler than heck...

If you happen to find a thousand dollars lying around and you have no idea with to do with it it's money well spent! Otherwise :rolleyes:. But mine makes me happy.

Im sure you've seen this but this is where I heard about it and it led to my getting it

plus like how many of those towers are really going to get made.

i also got an analogue outfitters scanner (have you see one of those ? They are nuts) and the Vibe Bro Pedal from this little outfit in Austin called shin-e that reproduced the univibe-- but had to make the pedal like 20% smaller because the red/white switch they found was 20% smaller than the original. When I found that out I knew I had to have it (good review in premier guitar too). I figure some of these things will just never be made again and they are cool as hell and make for fun studio objects.

:salude

Pellman73

David Gilmour added a Cali76 full sized with parallel knob and a Slide Rig Compact Deluxe for his latest album.

davidgilmour_studio2015.jpg

Here are a couple of good examples of his comp sounds:

and

It is hard to tell which comp he is using on these cuts because he also used an Effectrode PC-2A Compressor and a Demeter Compulator on the album but I think he just kicks in the SlideRig for some of the more extreme sustain passages and possibly uses the Cali76 as his "always on" comp. When he took the album on tour he went with just the SlideRig Compact Deluxe for lap steel but partway through replaced it with a Cali76 Compact.

Bob

man David Gilmore just has such great touch. You can hear him play 2 notes and you know it's him. Love his playing. Cool pics of his board. Renderit looks like he's got the right one !

RocknRollShakeUp

That's strange. None of my 4 are noisy at all...

It can certainly increase the noise floor when its placed after other pedals that have an otherwise barely perceptible hiss/noise, especially drive pedals. Placed first in the chain, or certainly before drive pedals, it has been as quiet as a mouse for me. My xotic SP compressor is less noisy when placed post drive pedals but I like the transparency and preservation of highs much better with the Cali CD so I just use it first in the chain. Placing an EHX C9 organ pedal before has also caused NO increases in noise, so I think it may be gain pedals that are a culprit. I tend to like compressors placed before gain more anyway, so no big loss for me.