The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Which cali76 compressor?

On another thread Renderit was helping me learn more about the cali76 compressors and recommmened the TX-p.... which looks awesome but may prove to be very hard to find.

he felt the big versions were better than the compact versions

the compact deluxe looks great. I love how you can stack w the slide rig and get that incredible sustain too... they have these ones with the Lundahl transformers...

anybody have any other thoughts on these or which one I should get ?

pehaps if you have thoughts you could also elaborate on how you use it (for non guitar things as a compressor for studio work, where in the signal chain, what type of playing you like to use it for ?)

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Which cali76 compressor?

I made my decision some time back somewhat based on what I learned here on this YT video. Not sure if this will help you, but it certainly shows you can dial in the basic tone and reaction with the smaller pedal. Best heard on headphones of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7pzP8dUiTM

You don't need to stack another compressor with any of the Slide Rigs. They are 2 stacked "1176"s. If you want that Little Feat studio slide sound (think Lafayette Railroad from Duxie Chicken) they nail that perfectly. My buddy has compact Slide Rig and it is great....very easy to dial in. I have a compact Cali76 Deluxe which for me us the last word in fine tuneable compression. The ability to add the direct sound independently is a real asset and makes it fantastically useful and well worth the extra cash. My buddy finds it more confusing to use particularly as he has little experience with using rack compressors (or daw sims). I haven't touched my beloved Keeley Comp since getting the Cali.
    Pete Thorn's demo is highly recommended.

thank you for input guys

yes I guess what I meant was using the slide rig to stack w in itself for that Little Feat effect (I did watch the Pete Thorn vid. very cool)--- not stack a slide rig on another one! I thought that might sound muddled.

thanks for the thoughts. seems like the compact deluxe would be great to have no matter what

all I have right now is an Xotic effects Sp (i do have a vintage script dyna comp but thats a whole nother story). I find I like having compression a lot of the time and it sounds like the calis are just that much better....

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-O View Post
    I made my decision some time back somewhat based on what I learned here on this YT video. Not sure if this will help you, but it certainly shows you can dial in the basic tone and reaction with the smaller pedal. Best heard on headphones of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7pzP8dUiTM

that video is really good. thank you for sending it.

usually those A/B comparison vids are hard to get anything from but that's one of the best ones I've ever seen. the guy is such a good player that he can play the riff essentially the same way every time which makes the experiment more valid.

I think the compact units are miles above any compressor I have played with. The large units are a little better (clearer) than the small ones. But they are HUGE. The fun stuff is chaining 2 Cali76's together. Yes, it is like a Slide Rig but gives you a lot more control. The Slide Rig is awesome for guitar though. I will always have my large Slide and TX-P. Like I said, I will probably get rid of my large G (I keep saying that and magically it is still here) which is like an original plus a germanium fuzz. And either of my Cali's sound great for vocals, bass, drums and keyboards. The large units also have recording based ins and outs on the back the smaller ones do not.

I think if you are playing live a lot the smaller ones would be wiser. A Compact Deluxe for most or a SlideRIG Compact Deluxe for chained. The chaining just blows my socks off.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I think the compact units are miles above any compressor I have played with. The large units are a little better (clearer) than the small ones. But they are HUGE. The fun stuff is chaining 2 Cali76's together. Yes, it is like a Slide Rig but gives you a lot more control. The Slide Rig is awesome for guitar though. I will always have my large Slide and TX-P. Like I said, I will probably get rid of my large G (I keep saying that and magically it is still here) which is like an original plus a germanium fuzz. And either of my Cali's sound great for vocals, bass, drums and keyboards. The large units also have recording based ins and outs on the back the smaller ones do not.

I think if you are playing live a lot the smaller ones would be wiser. A Compact Deluxe for most or a SlideRIG Compact Deluxe for chained. The chaining just blows my socks off.

thanks again for your thoughts! And damn you for planting that seed!

ive got a compact deluxe coming to me via Chicago music exchange. I DO like that little jewel light too. I'm easily entertained by things like that. I figure I'll find enough uses for it. I figure I'll also keep an eye out for the TX-p for my studio in the sky that I'm slowly building up. Add that to my list of daily eBay and reverb searches. Other is a matchless rv-1 reverb unit. I want one of those puppies bad. And I if see two I'll let you know too since you mentioned you were looking for another TX-p!

Totally. And those reverbs are to die for.

Totally. And those reverbs are to die for.
    I was a complete dope a few months ago. In october there was a really sweet white one on Reverb. I asked the guy if he had the foot switch?

the answer was no... (you dumbass. who cares about the foot switch was really what he was thinking)

and it was gone (like Kayser Sozye). I've looked every day since then to no avail. there was one on ebay a month or so after that and I didn't get because the guy had altered the case. again. dumbass.

won't let the next one go! they are REALLY hard to come by.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

I've been using the JangleBox units for at least 10 years. Great stuff and considerably less than the Cali stuff. I say find your own sound. Sure there's nothing wrong with being able to sound like Lowell, but you have to find your own voice. Lowell and Bonnie Raitt both have the same sound because Bonnie learned from Lowell. But I think you should find your own voice.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    I've been using the JangleBox units for at least 10 years. Great stuff and considerably less than the Cali stuff. I say find your own sound. Sure there's nothing wrong with being able to sound like Lowell, but you have to find your own voice. Lowell and Bonnie Raitt both have the same sound because Bonnie learned from Lowell. But I think you should find your own voice.
    im really just looking for a great compressor rather than looking to play slide like Lowell George. Duane's my slide hero anyhow for what it's worth.

finding my own voice is good advice though. Spending less time focused in gear and more on playing would help that. But as a confessed gear nerd junkie I do enjoy reading and learning about many aspects of musical instrumentation, recording, gig rigs, all that.

So this is more about adding a great compressor to my Arsenal of stuff than my path as an original sounding artist-- but it is good to always keep that in mind, thanks for the thoughts!

im really just looking for a great compressor rather than looking to play slide like Lowell George. Duane's my slide hero anyhow for what it's worth.

finding my own voice is good advice though. Spending less time focused in gear and more on playing would help that. But as a confessed gear nerd junkie I do enjoy reading and learning about many aspects of musical instrumentation, recording, gig rigs, all that.

So this is more about adding a great compressor to my Arsenal of stuff than my path as an original sounding artist-- but it is good to always keep that in mind, thanks for the thoughts!

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

What I like about the JangleBox is that it doesn't suck the note down on the initial attack like say a Dynacomp does. It's actually the first compressor I could use and not have the notes sound like it's being compressed.

What I like about the JangleBox is that it doesn't suck the note down on the initial attack like say a Dynacomp does. It's actually the first compressor I could use and not have the notes sound like it's being compressed.
    Cool. I'll check it out.

Got the Compact Deluxe today. Love it!

If you can weed out the bad and sloppy playing I think its pretty cool to hear the difference between on and off. its off the first part, then its on for the second part (when I hit the switch. I have it in a loop switcher) of my horrible rendition of little wing. then off first and on again for my even worse rendition of wind cries mary.

Bloom is the word that comes to mind for me. it just makes the sounds bloom. really nice!

I probably should have done more than this take but... I've got a turkey to rotisserie

at the very least watch me and feel good about your playing!

and now I know I have a bald spot.

Very nice! I think the best way to put it is everything sounds more meh when it's turned off. Even when the guitar sounds great without it, the sound is better with it. BTW on an organ, piano, acoustic and drums it is the same way. Awesome piece of machinery. And when pushed it is a great effect. But mostly mine is on the edge of "you can't tell it's there, but you can".

Very nice! I think the best way to put it is everything sounds more meh when it's turned off. Even when the guitar sounds great without it, the sound is better with it. BTW on an organ, piano, acoustic and drums it is the same way. Awesome piece of machinery. And when pushed it is a great effect. But mostly mine is on the edge of "you can't tell it's there, but you can".

yes most def more meh without!

thanks man! appreciate the heads up on these things

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

I have one of the original versions and love it. I do find it to be kind of a one trick pony though, it does what it does extremely well, but I don't find it plays all that well with others. Enjoy!!!
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Les Paul Forum Member

DF, do you mean it brings out noise in other pedals? I found that with one pedal only, and have been mucking with the order. Starting to think it is the pedal, although it is just a drive. I keep the fuzz in front of the compressor of course, I know that they aren't the best mates. Curious on your comment though.
    Peace

Interesting! I have found it to play exceedingly well with others. It is an order thing, but I have found nothing which does not work with it. Can you elucidate? While keeping your pants on? Seriously, I am interested. I always use mine and I don't usually use a lot of other pedals, but have run it with Archer Boost, Wampler Velvet fuzz, Providence Chrono Delay, Alter Ego reverbs, Slide Rig, Roto Choir, Morley Volume, Digitech RV7, and all my sequencers and large reverb units. I have found no problems. I usually run it late in the chain.

On my usual days it and maybe the Chrono and a reverb of some sort are my normal chain elements. I don't spank my pedals a lot, just when a mood hits. I need to rewire all that crap anyways now that I gots my GEC 9.

Speaking of which, since you are frequently in possession of everything known to mankind, do you have a Schaffer Replica? I am thinking hard right now on one since hearing his Boston and Steely Dan stuff. I like AC/DC (at least a bunch of their songs) but not a huge follower. But when I heard him nail Party and then Reelin In The Years I decided I DID have a place for one.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Interesting! I have found it to play exceedingly well with others. It is an order thing, but I have found nothing which does not work with it. Can you elucidate? While keeping your pants on? Seriously, I am interested. I always use mine and I don't usually use a lot of other pedals, but have run it with Archer Boost, Wampler Velvet fuzz, Providence Chrono Delay, Alter Ego reverbs, Slide Rig, Roto Choir, Morley Volume, Digitech RV7, and all my sequencers and large reverb units. I have found no problems. I usually run it late in the chain.

On my usual days it and maybe the Chrono and a reverb of some sort are my normal chain elements. I don't spank my pedals a lot, just when a mood hits. I need to rewire all that crap anyways now that I gots my GEC 9.

Speaking of which, since you are frequently in possession of everything known to mankind, do you have a Schaffer Replica? I am thinking hard right now on one since hearing his Boston and Steely Dan stuff. I like AC/DC (at least a bunch of their songs) but not a huge follower. But when I heard him nail Party and then Reelin In The Years I decided I DID have a place for one.
    No Schaffer Replica, my Line6 G50 and G55 have never really been tonesuckers for me, so keep them I have and use them I do (if I may be a bit Yoda about it).

I've always found compressor pedals a bit noisy for my liking... along with their glorious tones, the two I use most, the SlideRIG and Rivera Sustain Shaman seem to bring a lot of noise with them, although I haven't really experimented with their positions in the chain as much as I should... I will have to investigate that further to see if it helps. Several reverb pedals and various ODs and Klon Clones are all I really use. Since the Kemper arrived on my doorstep most of my pedals are on hiatus, but since adding yet another Klon Clone to the arsenal the tube amps have been easing their way back into prime time so I'll need to give the compressors another go... the Kemper does a lot of things well, but it can't replicate many of the boutique pedals I've grown to love...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

I have a Schaffer replica tower and I really like it a lot. I'm not sure how the pedal versions compare...and it's a lot of money... but it sure looks cool as hell and it adds an extra boosted sizzle on top.

Les Paul Forum Member

It sounds like a great bit of gear (the Schaffer), but the price really has me shy. Love watching his YT vids though...never seen a happier soul!
    Last edited by Nick-O; 03-09-17 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-O View Post
    It sounds like a great bit of gear, but the price really has me shy. Love watching his YT vids though...never seen a happier soul!
    You mean Fil ?

ya it's fun to watch him

hes also a really nice guy. The one I got was kind of different looking and i couldn't figure out what was up w the back. I contacted the company and he answered.... and I guess I got one of three of that particular case and cover -- and one went somewhere and he other one to angus! Which was a very cool thing to find out. I think if you have a a studio or are planning to have one like I am it's very cool to have it... otherwise I'd probably say go w the pedal version...

Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    No Schaffer Replica, my Line6 G50 and G55 have never really been tonesuckers for me, so keep them I have and use them I do (if I may be a bit Yoda about it).

I've always found compressor pedals a bit noisy for my liking... along with their glorious tones, the two I use most, the SlideRIG and Rivera Sustain Shaman seem to bring a lot of noise with them, although I haven't really experimented with their positions in the chain as much as I should... I will have to investigate that further to see if it helps. Several reverb pedals and various ODs and Klon Clones are all I really use. Since the Kemper arrived on my doorstep most of my pedals are on hiatus, but since adding yet another Klon Clone to the arsenal the tube amps have been easing their way back into prime time so I'll need to give the compressors another go... the Kemper does a lot of things well, but it can't replicate many of the boutique pedals I've grown to love...
    That's strange. None of my 4 are noisy at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    I have a Schaffer replica tower and I really like it a lot. I'm not sure how the pedal versions compare...and it's a lot of money... but it sure looks cool as hell and it adds an extra boosted sizzle on top.
    Yes it is expensive. And normally I would just do it anyway but when it comes to an effect I get a little antsy when I don't know how much I'll use it. And when you hit that price you are in amp territory. But it is cooler than heck...

Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar

David Gilmour added a Cali76 full sized with parallel knob and a Slide Rig Compact Deluxe for his latest album.

Here are a couple of good examples of his comp sounds:

and

It is hard to tell which comp he is using on these cuts because he also used an Effectrode PC-2A Compressor and a Demeter Compulator on the album but I think he just kicks in the SlideRig for some of the more extreme sustain passages and possibly uses the Cali76 as his "always on" comp. When he took the album on tour he went with just the SlideRig Compact Deluxe for lap steel but partway through replaced it with a Cali76 Compact.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Yes it is expensive. And normally I would just do it anyway but when it comes to an effect I get a little antsy when I don't know how much I'll use it. And when you hit that price you are in amp territory. But it is cooler than heck...
    If you happen to find a thousand dollars lying around and you have no idea with to do with it it's money well spent! Otherwise . But mine makes me happy.

Im sure you've seen this but this is where I heard about it and it led to my getting it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C7GKGxICg

plus like how many of those towers are really going to get made.

i also got an analogue outfitters scanner (have you see one of those ? They are nuts) and the Vibe Bro Pedal from this little outfit in Austin called shin-e that reproduced the univibe-- but had to make the pedal like 20% smaller because the red/white switch they found was 20% smaller than the original. When I found that out I knew I had to have it (good review in premier guitar too). I figure some of these things will just never be made again and they are cool as hell and make for fun studio objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
    David Gilmour added a Cali76 full sized with parallel knob and a Slide Rig Compact Deluxe for his latest album.

Here are a couple of good examples of his comp sounds:

and

It is hard to tell which comp he is using on these cuts because he also used an Effectrode PC-2A Compressor and a Demeter Compulator on the album but I think he just kicks in the SlideRig for some of the more extreme sustain passages and possibly uses the Cali76 as his "always on" comp. When he took the album on tour he went with just the SlideRig Compact Deluxe for lap steel but partway through replaced it with a Cali76 Compact.

Bob
    man David Gilmore just has such great touch. You can hear him play 2 notes and you know it's him. Love his playing. Cool pics of his board. Renderit looks like he's got the right one !

Les Paul Forum Member wishmerelax's Avatar

Has anyone achieved his kind of warm/fat/sustaining compression like the cali 76?
    From what i've experienced, the compressor in the axe fx is quite transparent and doesn't have too much color.
    Thanks, guys
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gs1-S3VEj4
    Last edited by wishmerelax; 02-10-19 at 08:28 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wishmerelax View Post
    Has anyone achieved his kind of warm/fat/sustaining compression like the cali 76?
    From what i've experienced, the compressor in the axe fx is quite transparent and doesn't have too much color.
    Thanks, guys
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gs1-S3VEj4
    Yes I have achieved this. You are right the compressor in the axe fx is transparent and have no color.

That's strange. None of my 4 are noisy at all...
    It can certainly increase the noise floor when its placed after other pedals that have an otherwise barely perceptible hiss/noise, especially drive pedals. Placed first in the chain, or certainly before drive pedals, it has been as quiet as a mouse for me. My xotic SP compressor is less noisy when placed post drive pedals but I like the transparency and preservation of highs much better with the Cali CD so I just use it first in the chain. Placing an EHX C9 organ pedal before has also caused NO increases in noise, so I think it may be gain pedals that are a culprit. I tend to like compressors placed before gain more anyway, so no big loss for me.