• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Any Travis Bean Fans Here?

Pellman73

They are fast... the fretboard on the Travis is ebony and the Kramer has ebonol (a synthetic ebony). They are more stratlike than lesterly, but the acoustics are totally different. The Travis will sustain for days (maybe even weeks) while the Kramer is not far behind. Both have a healthy dose of cryogenics (Seymour Duncan Silver Zephyrs in the Kramer and Markley Blue Steel Strings on the Travis). The Travis Bean pups are in a class all their own and I've yet to find anything even remotely similar. Both are heavy and both are way cool!!! The Kramer has maple strips in the back of the neck... I believe its only purpose is to prevent tongue stickage for those who have been dared before I. Other than that you really have to try one in order to pass judgment...

so in other words what you are saying is that you can go and have a bite and you'll still be hearing that one?

Pellman73

I feel like you also need a Dan Armstrong acrylic guitar to go with it too

these occupy the same part of my brain under the sub heading "weird guitars I wish I had"

I think I'd also add a Turner Model One to the list

hmm what else

I think this could be a good thread!

rockabilly69

Finally added one to the ol' harem... they are quite nice... :jim

23319074_10213803500698298_7851266402760811440_n.jpg

I have the bass version of your Kramer DMZ4000, and more than once it's been picked as the best bass to record with over some nice vintage Fenders!!! Listen to how it sits with both my vintage J45, and my voice, in this little acoustic song....

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/hearts-turned-away

This isn't my bass (I found the pic on the web), but it's the exact one i have, although my still has the two functional mini switches for EQ boosts (low/off/high), and single/humbucker...

aODsCWv.jpg

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
Worth mentioning that Electric Guitar Company has partnered with Rita and Marc to reissue the TB500 and TB1000. Also, there's no stock on their Reverb store or website, so I'm guessing that the manufacturing part is not going smoothly...

http://www.travisbeandesigns.com

Wally

I could not take to the aluminum neck. I didn't understand why anyone would build a guitar in that manner....and never will. YMMV.....

duaneflowers

I have the bass version of your Kramer DMZ4000, and more than once it's been picked as the best bass to record with over some nice vintage Fenders!!! Listen to how it sits with both my vintage J45, and my voice, in this little acoustic song....

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/hearts-turned-away

This isn't my bass (I found the pic on the web), but it's the exact one i have, although my still has the two functional mini switches for EQ boosts (low/off/high), and single/humbucker...

aODsCWv.jpg
Definitely looks like the same tree... very nice!!! :salude

rockabilly69

I could not take to the aluminum neck. I didn't understand why anyone would build a guitar in that manner....and never will. YMMV.....

Well I've always considered the neck to be the primary tone generator of a guitar, and that opinion came from when I used to swap bolt on Tele necks from body to body, and consistently, the tone followed the neck. With that in mind, I think the aluminum neck in these guitars rings like a bell, and works great along with the composite Ebanol fingerboards that have little to no dead spots. And my bass has wood inserts in back of the neck for an organic feel. The low end on my DMZ4000 bass is big, without being muddy, and I love it! As I've said before, it has totally walked some nice vintage basses when it was time to pick a bass to record with.

Pellman73

Well I've always considered the neck to be the primary tone generator of a guitar, and that opinion came from when I used to swap bolt on Tele necks from body to body, and consistently, the tone followed the neck. With that in mind, I think the aluminum neck in these guitars rings like a bell, and works great along with the composite Ebanol fingerboards that have little to no dead spots. And my bass has wood inserts in back of the neck for an organic feel. The low end on my DMZ4000 bass is big, without being muddy, and I love it! As I've said before, it has totally walked some nice vintage basses when it was time to pick a bass to record with.

Intersting post!

duaneflowers

Comparing the Kramer to the Travis, I find that while the aluminum necks both do indeed ring like a bell, the Kramer is warmer compared to the chiminess of the Travis. All being equal, a maple body vs a koa one, seymour duncan silver zephyr pups vs those monster mag Travises, an ebonol board vs a Gaboon ebony one, zero fret vs copper nut, maple inlays vs pure aluminum in the neck, along with whatever secret sauce is applied under the control cavity cover they really are two very distinct machines. The neck on the Kramer is attached Fender style, while that on the Travis is a solid chunk of aircraft aluminum straight from the headstock to the bridge... which I think has the biggest effect on their unique tonal characters. Again, all being equal, they both rank as the 'fastest' guitars I have ever played... with the Travis having the slight edge (possibly due to the perfectly flat board) and while I still prefer the Les Pauls, they both certainly do give them a run for their money...

duaneflowers

They are definitely NOT everyone's cup of noodles... :spabout

duaneflowers

Worth mentioning that Electric Guitar Company has partnered with Rita and Marc to reissue the TB500 and TB1000. Also, there's no stock on their Reverb store or website, so I'm guessing that the manufacturing part is not going smoothly...

http://www.travisbeandesigns.com

Its actually Electrical Guitar Company and Travis Bean Designs is also worth a peek.

You will probably want to stay away from http://www.travisbean.de/ which just seems to be a blatant rip-off of the Travis Bean design.

renderit

Comparing the Kramer to the Travis, I find that while the aluminum necks both do indeed ring like a bell, the Kramer is warmer compared to the chiminess of the Travis. All being equal, a maple body vs a koa one, seymour duncan silver zephyr pups vs those monster mag Travises, an ebonol board vs a Gaboon ebony one, zero fret vs copper nut, maple inlays vs pure aluminum in the neck, along with whatever secret sauce is applied under the control cavity cover they really are two very distinct machines. The neck on the Kramer is attached Fender style, while that on the Travis is a solid chunk of aircraft aluminum straight from the headstock to the bridge... which I think has the biggest effect on their unique tonal characters. Again, all being equal, they both rank as the 'fastest' guitars I have ever played... with the Travis having the slight edge (possibly due to the perfectly flat board) and while I still prefer the Les Pauls, they both certainly do give them a run for their money...

I WILL LABEL THEM "BURST KILLERS" THEN! Can you feed my fishes while I am gone?

24460785168_9d701b3ddd_h.jpg

jtees4

Played a few in the mid 70's, and also a few aluminum Kramers. About a year ago, I almost bought a Vintage Travis Beane locally...but I forgot how heavy these were. that thing felt like 13 pounds! Were they always that heavy??? ? For the record, I have a bad back, so i couldn't even "think" about it.

duaneflowers

Played a few in the mid 70's, and also a few aluminum Kramers. About a year ago, I almost bought a Vintage Travis Beane locally...but I forgot how heavy these were. that thing felt like 13 pounds! Were they always that heavy??? ? For the record, I have a bad back, so i couldn't even "think" about it.

My Travis weighs in at just a hair over 10 lbs while the Kramer is just a hair under. Both competing with several of my heavier Lesters...

jojo68

I'm a fan ! Although I don't own one, I do own two Electrical Guitar Company all aluminum Tyrannys. They sound and play killer. These have thinner necks than the Travis Beans and are not for everyone. Kevin builds great guitars. The red one has his bean pick ups in it.

TM1

Seems as though I forgot to put some photos up here.. Sorry lads, here ya go:

renderit

THAT's the one I want! Didn't they make those with a natural finish as well?